It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Man's Wedding Ring Gets Him Killed

page: 1
9
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

A good deed for his in-laws has ended in tragedy for a south Florida man. Jason Ferguson, 33, was installing a new dishwasher at his brother-in-law and sister-in-law's house Thursday when he was electrocuted...

A sobering detail: Ferguson's wedding ring apparently touched something behind or in the dishwasher, causing the electrocution, police tell the Sentinel. Ferguson's family believe it was a copper wire, WKMG adds.
Newser

I know of a number of men who refuse to wear their wedding ring. Honestly of those I know - the majority are pigs looking to keep their marital status quiet. A few others seem to have valid reasons for going ring-less. A logger friend of mine nearly lost his ring finger when his ring caught in a piece of machinery. To wear, or not to wear...

This poor guy - what a tragedy. I hope those of you who read this give up some prayers and hope for peace to the family and friends of this guy.

peace
edit on 11-11-2014 by silo13 because: link fix




posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I don't wear any jewelry of any kind just because I don't like the feel. Fortunately for me my wife doesn't care.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm hypersensitive to things on my fingers, wrists and ankles. So jewelry is out for me. When the time comes I'm not wearing a wedding ring.

This is sad though. I remember the old shop class rule. Dangling hair, jewelry and clothing poses a threat around equipment. Sad he didn't think of the metal on his finger.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Would he not have been electrocuted anyway?

A sad story but I worked as an electricans mate for a couple of years and I can tell you that you do not need to be wearing a ring to get an electric shock.


a reply to: silo13



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Speaking of home repairs and wedding rings...

I know a contractor who had his ring finger stripped of flesh when his wedding band got caught on a hook right as he jumped down from the back of a vehicle.

I still remember one of my old shop teacher telling us 'No jewelry' and for people with long hair to put it in a ponytail and tuck it into your shirt around the power equipment.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Would he not have been electrocuted anyway?

A sad story but I worked as an electricans mate for a couple of years and I can tell you that you do not need to be wearing a ring to get an electric shock.


a reply to: silo13



The worst stories are where young mothers have been electrocuted in new homes with incorrectly wired appliances:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Agreed, not wanting to get to off topic but we had a luckily less tragic situation a couple of years ago.

We rented a house and although not bad it needed a "Womans touch" as it were, my good lady wife wanted to give the kitchen cupboards a good clean so before we put any food in them she gave them a liberal spraying with a tea tree and water solution.

Someone had wired in some 240 volt under cupboard lighting but had only used chockblocks and bare wires were underneath.

The cleaning solution dripped down and when she went in with a cloth got a very nasty shock but the RCD kicked in and other than bieng shaken she was ok.

a reply to: stormcell



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I design dishwashers I bet we'll be hearing about this in meetings for ever and ever.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
My dad never wore his because he was a surgeon and always had to take it off everyday anyways so he just put it on a chain around his neck that he could tuck into his scrubs.

I am currently not wearing mine since it broke on the underside a couple weeks ago and is in the shop getting fixed. Once out, I will have it back on as usual. Though I don't do anything that would be a real threat to losing my finger so I am not too worried.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I made a dishwasher once, It took about fifteen minutes of hard work and then had to wait 7 years for it to be ready.

It worked fine for a short time but then develoved an attitude and refused to work anymore.

He tends to play on his xbox most of the time.

a reply to: mikell



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is the reason we dont allow any kind of jewlery in my factory, to many moving parts, that can get your finger or whatever ripped off or sucked into a machine. Like another poster already pointed out, I think he most likely would have gotten electrocuted just by touching with flesh, the wedding ring headline just makes it that much more of an eye catcher.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
working in the oil field where it is company policy of no rings, watches, etc. many married guys opt to get a tattoo of a ring on there finger.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

OMG! You both are so lucky! I got the heebee-jeebees over that one!
So glad your wife is ok!

peace



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
She learned a valuable lesson, DTA ie don't trust anything.

I have learned that you can not trust anything unless you have done it youself, thought about it twice and asked for two seperate opinions.

Even if something is unplugged it can still hold a charge. If you do not understand something do not do it.

a reply to: silo13



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

The term is 'degloved' and yes the image of one is gruesome.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I always have my ring on unless I am working on something. Any work on cars, around the house, anything really I take it off just for safety....Also it keeps the oil and stuff you are working with out of the ring (I have a ring with diamonds)...So it might not be a bad idea for those who keep it on all the time...It will save you from weird things like this happening!



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
it happens.
i was working on a car one time and i had a ratchet in my left hand. it was touching my ring...
i hit the battery terminals while it was in my hand and my wing got red hot in a micro second....



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
it happens.
i was working on a car one time and i had a ratchet in my left hand. it was touching my ring...
i hit the battery terminals while it was in my hand and my wing got red hot in a micro second....

I've seen the exact same thing. I also saw a guy working in a machine shop get the hide stripped off his finger.



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

my wedding band is tungston and actually saved my fingers from getting crushed a couple times...i lost my finger anyway but not cause of a ring...



posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
I know of a number of men who refuse to wear their wedding ring. Honestly of those I know - the majority are pigs looking to keep their marital status quiet.


As an engineer, I never wear jewelry at work. Of any sort.

No watches, no rings. Nada.

If I'm working with any sort of tools, off it comes. This sort of thing happens a lot. I like my fingers where they are, thank you very much.




top topics



 
9
<<   2 >>

log in

join