It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point of I.Q tests?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
IQ does not equal success by any means.

That is all.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Self gratification without the need of Vaseline.
Mensa? Kinda sounds like a disease.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
IQ does not equal success by any means.

That is all.

That's the thing Ly. It's these people that make up these tests for what? To see if we think like they do? There's a pantload more to intelligence than knowledge. Retention. Recall. Speed at those wouldn't hurt. Creativity.

You've heard of people "thinking outside of the box"? That means there's inside box thinking too. My thinking can go with or without a box.
Figure that one out.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
So the positive correlations between IQ and school performance, job performance and success are meaningless and irrelevant?

And the negative correlations between IQ and criminality are irrelevant, too?

Is anyone going to answer these questions, or are we all going to keep singing the Dumbo Chorus in our IQ-is-a-wank echo chamber?

edit on 11/11/14 by Astyanax because: of Dumbo. Can't forget him.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The Gifted Child Grows Up: Twenty-five Years' Follow-up of a Superior Group
Lewis M. Terman

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

And a 30-year longitudinal study of more than a thousand kids – the gold standard for uncovering relationships between behavioral variables – found that those children with the best cognitive control had the greatest financial success in their 30s. Cognitive control predicted success better than a child’s IQ, and better than the wealth of the family they grew up in.

www.linkedin.com...

Daniel Jay Goleman (born March 7, 1946) is an author, psychologist, and science journalist. For twelve years, he wrote for The New York Times, specializing in psychology and brain sciences. He is the author of more than 10 books on psychology, education, science, ecological crisis, and leadership. He is a two-time Pulitzer Prize nominee

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
All a high IQ does is gives you the ability to figure things out. But if you do not have confidence, the IQ is worthless as a tool as you do not believe what you figure out is real.

So why do they give the test? I guess so they know who to dope up more so the ones running the government won't get caught running their schemes.

They really need to broaden the IQ testing, there are many forms of intelligence.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiro

Thanks for replying to me, Spiro.

One of the clearest examples of this prejudice comes from questions of the form: "a, b, c what number comes next in the sequence?" Its a verifiable mathematical truth that any finite sequence of numbers in fact has an infinite number of plausible effective procedures to enumerate it in various directions, yet each test creator imagines that their particular enumeration is the "right" one of "intelligent" folks. What I'm saying right now is a truth that could be verified by MIT guys, not some imaginative BS. As intelligence increases, so does freedom, to see things in a multitude of different ways, and that applies to artistic geniuses just as much as math nerd types. The fact is that pure intellectual freedom is a difficult thing to quantize. The state of real genius seems to avoid quantization.

And that state also seems to avoid personalization. Genius is a phenomenon that effects a whole group at once, changing and shaping society as it ripples through all involved, including people of limited "intelligence". To be a real genius isn't just to know the far out truth, its to shape the minds of others with it.

The ultimate truth is still out there, waiting to be found, and its the disciplined yet open minded folks for whom the doors will be found unlocked to access it. Still a great deal of time, but still SO much we don't know. People of love really need to get to work, in the name of their fellow souls here wandering around in the dark!

PEace!

edit on 11-11-2014 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Agree up to a point .Example , i was on a course once and the first thing the provider did was to put 9 dots arranged in a square and told us to join all dots using 4 straight uninterrupted lines . 3 mins everyone was done . Then he said that engineers take up to 30 mins before in some cases giving up . This was just to prove that the doers are better than the planners who were locked into the box and would not think outside the box . Engineers ,dumbasses . They need to come down from the ivory tower sometimes and see the real world .

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I don't like them, they always say Im dumb

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join