It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The brains of marijuana users are different, especially if they start young

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This is a serious topic for me. There are people's lives being destroyed at this very moment all because they wanted to relax with some marijuana and got caught (or were selling it), and that shouldn't be happening.

I agree, I feel the same way as you, not only for just doing what you listed but also people that are trying to help people with serious medical conditions that Marijuana helps ease the discomfort of they are being punished also and its not fair.

We have a show called insight here it is really good I am going to link you to an episode where they were discussing legalising it here in Australia, its basically a debate and with a man on the show that produces Cannabis oil for people with certain medical conditions for adults and children, it was a pretty good episode and interesting so if you want to watch it here is theLink there is also a transcript of the show under the video if you want to read that instead of viewing.
edit on 12-11-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: etombo

Except there ARE medical benefits of marijuana. It's been proven. Sure there are some side effects that are kind of negative, but that's better than the laundry list of side effects from most major pharmaceutical drugs.

I gave you a star though because I unfairly made a bad assumption about you based on your posts and I apologize.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

Nice. I'll check that out. Can't watch videos, but I'll be eager to read the transcript.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

its great....
the f'in catalina wine mixer

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Except there ARE medical benefits of marijuana. It's been proven. Sure there are some side effects that are kind of negative, but that's better than the laundry list of side effects from most major pharmaceutical drugs.

I gave you a star though because I unfairly made a bad assumption about you based on your posts and I apologize.

anyone who says there are no medical benefits of mj are in serious denial...
all meds have side effects from pain killers to bp meds to psych meds....why are the side effects of mj such a big deal to people? i dont get it...

also, i dont care if it is proven that mj causes cancer 100% of the time...the gov should not be able to tell me, as an adult what substances i can use or when or how often...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Awesome, it has a few guests talking about their experiences with Cannabis Oil and the health benefits of that too, even at the very start a lady talks about her daughter having up to 30 seizures a day without Cannabis oil but with it she doesn't suffer them and can do so many things she usually can't. Every seizure is a risk of Death and it takes that risk away, I don't understand how they can keep it illegal here when there is benefits like that and many many many many more from it! There is even ex doctors and police officers on that episode saying it should be legalised and explaining why, and their arguments are very valid and full of facts, unlike the people that aren't pro legalisation and that try to argue it they get caught up on their words and end up not knowing what too say..

a reply to: Grovit

Haha yeah I love when they get on stage and perform at the mixer, hilarious. Horrible voice but incredibly funny.. lol

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
There's a commercial they constantly play for a pharmaceutical drug, I believe its called Lyrica. It's got the usual list of side effects and then it says "...please contact your doctor if you have suicidal thoughts..." which is just a roundabout way of informing you that one of the side effects is freaking SUICIDE. A brief search of "lyrica suicidal thoughts" brought up some very interesting links confirming this. Their own website says it causes this effect in 1 out of 500 people.

I mean, come on... suicide is A-OK, but weed is not? It's extremely difficult to pass the FDA standards. I hear it takes years of trials. And suicide apoarently did not raise an eyebrow or perk any ears? But thc gets the demonized treatment? This is an outrage! I feel like I've been taking crazy pills!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

i take lyrica twice a day. have been on it for more than a year.
no desire for suicide yet...

getting fired from your job also carries a risk of suicide
so does losing all your money at the craps tables and a million other things

just sayin

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Thats cool I hope it helps you

And you're right. There are plenty of dangers in life. Life is dangerous. For many of us, it has gotten a lot safer over the last 100 years. And for some people, this has led them to believe that everything needs to be safer and all dangers should be eliminated. But they forgot that danger is a part of life. It can actually make life fun. Ask any skydiver or other extreme sports enthusiast. Marijuana is waaay down by the bottom of the list, next to things like, leaving your house, and is below things like crossing the road...

What will these safety maniacs target next? Snowboarding? Riding a bicycle? And meanwhile alcohol and tobacco will enjoy special privilege because the government says so? When will people begin to think for themselves? You can't just make something illegal because you don't like it. When they tried it with alcohol, all it did was make the mafia stronger. Now drug prohibition is making other criminals stronger today, like the prison gangs and the mexican cartels that threaten our borders and commit tons of murders in the states. They dont just kill criminals either, they will go after your family. They dont have a "no women, no children" rule like the Italian Mafia had.

Funny thing, if we didnt try so hard to take down the mafia, they would be able to combat the cartels, or there would not have been a power vacuum for the cartels to move into in the criminal industries. By killing the devil, a mkre terrible devil has taken its place. Did they think that crime would just disappear after the mafia was destabilized? No, crime will always be around. The only question is who will be in control of it and how will they conduct themselves based on their ethics.

Yes there are criminal ethics. When i was a teen i used to shoplift, but i would never steal from someones home or car. Only from the faceless corporations. Which is also not a good thing for society, but I still believe it is preferable to breaking into homes or stealing cars. Just like the old school mafia rule of No Women No Children is preferable to the prison gang/cartel policy of going after one's family.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

We have two current mistakes on legalized toxic substances---- alcohol and tobacco.
Why place another snake in the grass for the children
to get bitten with when alcohol and tobacco are harmful enough.

There are medicinal benefits to alcohol.
Do not know if there are medical benefits to tobacco.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: recapitulated
It's never going to work simply because the desire to alter one's consciousness is very strong in our species, and with knowledge and moderation, one can abdicate many of the negative effects of their substance of choice - You could remove every mind altering substance on the earth, and people will still deal with addiction issues: Sex, gambling, money, food, consumerism, violence, etc etc etc -

Having proper harm reduction education, ingraining self-responsibility and moderation would do more good then simply criminalizing. It is still easier in many areas to get hard drugs then alcohol for the under 21 crowd.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
Sounds like Marijuana use defrags the mind, just like on a PC when you defrag, helps it run faster.

Yea but in the brains case the faster running is clearly done by blocking off certain essential running programs. THC builds up on certain receptors and blocks important areas of the brain from being involved in the "high". Otherwise you wouldn't be "high".

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

anyone who says there are no medical benefits of mj are in serious denial...
all meds have side effects from pain killers to bp meds to psych meds....why are the side effects of mj such a big deal to people? i dont get it...

also, i dont care if it is proven that mj causes cancer 100% of the time...the gov should not be able to tell me, as an adult what substances i can use or when or how often...

But we know that health benefits are not the primary reason folks partake.

So folks are using but not because they are sick but suffering the side effects anyway.
edit on 15-11-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

How does that make my point moot... It is nonsense to tell someone their personal experience is nonsense, no matter who is the accuser. So again, how is my point moot?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Voyaging

Because it was just as much nonsense when the other member did it too. How can you defend one person for doing something then denounce someone else for doing the same thing. I.E. point is moot.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Well because it was a general statement about people who do that,that just happened to be directed at them at that point in time. Anyway, point not moot, not even close.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Syyth007
a reply to: recapitulated
It's never going to work simply because the desire to alter one's consciousness is very strong in our species.

commencing in 1950 with the introduction of Thorazine and from thence forward, science has tried to create a pill to remove any and all unwanted and uncomfortable feeling that a human could possibly experience.

prior to 1950 the billions of inhabitants did just fine with the type and quantity of mood altering substances.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I have revived this thread, to add some current and relevant content:

news.yahoo.com...
STUDY: PSYCHOSIS IS FIVE TIMES MORE LIKELY IN MARIJUANA USERS
(This in answer to the refrain: Why are there so many crazy people out there today?)

www.fool.com...
HOW EVEN CASUAL SMOKERS ARE DESTROYING THEIR BRAINS

thehill.com...
COLORADO GOVERNOR ADMITS: LEGALIZING POT WAS A BAD IDEA

thehill.com...
FORMER NYC MAJOR BLOOMBERG CALLS POT LEGALIZATION "STUPID"

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join