It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boehner Kills Internet Sales Tax Bill (Updated)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Apparently the Senate made a bill that would give States the power to collect sales taxes on "out of state" sales shipped into their state.

Speaker Boehner says no but maybe later.

Hip Hip Hooray !!

Boehner Kills Internet Sales Tax Bill (Updated)

Tax-free Internet shopping is safe for now thanks to Speaker John A. Boehner.

A bill granting states the ability to force out-of-state websites to collect Internet sales tax is dead, according to the Ohio Republican’s spokesman.

“The speaker has made clear in the past he has significant concerns about the bill, and it won’t move forward this year,” said spokesman Kevin Smith. “The Judiciary Committee continues to examine the measure and the broader issue. In the meantime, the House and Senate should work together to extend the moratorium on internet taxation without further delay.”

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Good news.
I get my cigars on line, instead of paying through the nose at local shops and this will save me $25 - $40 a month.
Yeah, I know, "support your local business". But when that business tries to jack up the price of a $160 box of cigars to $220, I'll stay with on line ordering.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The internet has really been in the spotlight today. Ted Cruz vs Obama on Net Neutrality (Im thinking that will be a battle that lasts into the next few years, and I really do hope the net stays neutral after all the dust settles), and now this.

I got to say Im pretty glad Boehner killed this bill. Hopefully this bill never moves forward.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It really does seem like everytime the government wants to stick it's dirty fingers into something that is working just fine.... Things really get messed up and usually cost us more. Good the "Bill" will not advance anytime soon...

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Boehner will save a pretty penny on his splurges of out of state bronzer, Wild Turkey, and Johnnie Walker

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This is great. I sell things online, and you just have no idea how complicated it would be to set up a website to collect sales tax at different rates from each state, not to mention each county in each state which may have a different tax rate. And how expensive it would be to get a sales tax license in each state

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg
Boehner will save a pretty penny on his splurges of out of state bronzer, Wild Turkey, and Johnnie Walker

ROTFL!

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I guess he does have a heart. Wait, there must be a catch somewhere.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3

Either a heart, or Amazon and eBay are major campaign donors.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
This is great. I sell things online, and you just have no idea how complicated it would be to set up a website to collect sales tax at different rates from each state, not to mention each county in each state which may have a different tax rate. And how expensive it would be to get a sales tax license in each state

Yes, laws and taxes like this proposed to be IS NOT looking after the general welfare of the people.

But there are the G-Boys and Tax Man! Ever keen to notice when the public has managed to save money by circumventing middle men......the gov steps in and wants the diff you are now saving. Gangsters!

You are talking about the complications of such stupidity. Look at the AHCA....complicated pile of pure nonsense.
edit on 11-11-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

originally posted by: ckhk3

Either a heart, or Amazon and eBay are major campaign donors.

And the people that voted for him and other republicans are major voters. And these days, as has been just recently illustrated, support for such taxes is political suicide.

new topics

top topics

join