It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Plant Reportedly Turns Down $800 Million for Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Robert Plant has reportedly turned down more than $800 million to reunite with Led Zeppelin on a worldwide tour.

According to The Mirror, the lead singer ripped up a contract to reunite the surviving members of the band for just 35 shows in three cities: Berlin, London and an unspecified location in New Jersey.

Virgin CEO Richard Branson is said to be behind the whole deal, and allegedly was ready to offer up one of his company's planes and specially dub it "The Starship" just for the band.

The contact had an extension option to add 45 more shows in additional venues if the band members signed on the dotted line, however, it looks like seeing Zeppelin in concert won't be a reality any time soon.

Link

Wow that's some serious dough there, i bet axl and slash would do it for half that.

He must really hate fans

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
W O W

How much money this guy got to be able to turn down 800 mil?

was it because of the extension option?
edit on 10-11-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Maybe he is infected.
Check him for the Algae Virus.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Apparently his net worth is around 170 million, so it appears there is something stronger than money, his hatred of Jimmy Page

a reply to: Chronon

If i were old and got all my needs covered up no money in the world would be sweeter than revenge on my nemesis

edit on 10-11-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Sometimes rock dinosuars are better left on past glory. All those wrinkles and failing voices. I read somewhere they're finally being sued for copying Stairway to Heaven guitar riffs.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
i,m sorry but think that pay day is well over exaggerated,no way he was getting paid 800m,not in this life time or the next 1 after that.if he was then who ever agreed to that needs locked up for pure insanity

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
Money is meaningless at this point I'm guessing, for the Band, I think they are better off letting it be. It would probably not come off well. What folks don't understand is that there is an energy needed for greatness and that energy is not and will never be money.

Robert is pretty engaged in his current art, I don't know why he'd want to do it.

And I love Zep.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
Sometimes rock dinosuars are better left on past glory. All those wrinkles and failing voices.

Really ?

I'd love to see Zep but this news comes as no surprise , Plant has said repeatedly that Celebration Day was it.

edit on 10-11-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I'll tell you why. Cause they already paid the piper (Bonham). Any zep reunion would be a catastrophic failure and signing a contract with Virgin would be a conflict of interest with the devil himself. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big zeppelin fan, but their day's of glory are long gone and Plant knows any subsequent attempt to "revive" something which has been already taken away would end up costing more than 800 million in souls.

My conspiratorial 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Same thing happened with ABBA.

My opinion, to be honest, I'm kinda Led Zepped out and have been for years now. Maybe Robert feels the same way.
You can only replay the same albums so many times before you just plain get tired of them.
Even Queens Bohemian Rhapsody makes me both squirm and yawn when I hear it these days.

Sorry for being a negative nancy.

edit on 10-11-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

It doesn't matter. The tickets would be absurd and only playing 3 cities is very elitist. It would just be a fest for the wealthy.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Robert is right to stand in the way of Led Zeppelin's re-formation.

They will never recapture their former genius (anyone who thinks the Celebration Day performances are great has either never watched the How the West Was Won video or is seriously deficient in musical discrimination). Neither are Jimmy and Robert likely to write any great new songs. They're old men now. John Bonham is dead. It's over.

Robert Plant, a man of immense good taste and wisdom, understands this. After a couple of early commercial releases, his post-Zeppelin career has been totally determined by his own musical inspiration. Clearly, he values the Zeppelin legacy and his own artistic integrity more highly than he values money. Things might have been different if he were broke, but he's not. He has enough money in the bank as well as an ongoing income from songwriting royalties. Some people genuinely do realize that money isn't everything.

I salute his decision, which has nothing to do with his 'hatred for Jimmy Page', because in fact they do not hate each other.

edit on 10/11/14 by Astyanax because: of discrimination (the good sort).

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
*ahem* for 800 mil, i would gladly put on a blond wig and shove a banana into some tight jeans.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheToastmanCometh
*ahem* for 800 mil, i would gladly put on a blond wig and shove a banana into some tight jeans.

I'd squeeze a lemon for 800mil.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

If Plant hates anyone it would be Page for screwing him and Jones.

Page was able to secure the lions share of Zeppelin song rights essentially betraying the equal contributions of Jones, Bonham and Plant to the Led Zeppelin legacy.

My guess is Plant refused the latest contract as it would leave another opening for Page to screw him again.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

(anyone who thinks the Celebration Day performances are great has either never watched the How the West Was Won video or is seriously deficient in musical discrimination).

In your opinion , which isn't necessarily correct.
I thought the Celebration Day performance was great but then I'm not stuck in the past.

Neither are Jimmy and Robert likely to write any great new songs.

New material isn't necessary when you have a back catalogue like theirs , there are plenty of people who just want to see the band before its too late.

John Bonham is dead. It's over.

Jason Bonham lives and rocks just like his father , it doesn't need to be over the DNA lives on.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
no way no how was he going to get 800 million for doing 35 live shows....i dont believe that at all.

even if he as going to get that much(which he was not) he is net worth is already floating around 200 mill. has royalties coming in still.
so, when someone who is 700 years old(like him), whats another several hundred mill on the already thick pile?
he dont need it and will never spend what he has.....

im fried on them anyway...the magic is gone....they would never be what they were so why try?

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I thought the Celebration Day performance was great but then I'm not stuck in the past.

Or perhaps you just don't miss the freshness, the energy, the joyful abandon, the euphoric rush that great musicians can generate at the top of their game. I understand, believe me; nostalgia and affection can make up for a lot.

New material isn't necessary when you have a back catalogue like theirs.

So it's going to be a nostalgia show, then, a 'comeback' performance by yet another set of rock zombies tottering out of the crypt for a last, profitable shamble in the spotlight? You know, one of the reasons why I respect Led Zeppelin so much is that they called it quits when they did, back in 1980 or ’81 or whenever it was. One last big reunion show was okay — why not? — but to imagine them back and plodding round the high-ticket nostalgia circuit like another Eagles or Pixies — no. Just no. Please.

there are plenty of people who just want to see the band before its too late.

Who cares about them? I care about Led Zeppelin, and a little thing called artistic integrity.

the DNA lives on.

Half of it does. Basic genetics. Jason Bonham is exactly half the drummer his father was.

edit on 11/11/14 by Astyanax because: of profits.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Or perhaps you just don't miss the freshness, the energy, the joyful abandon, the euphoric rush that great musicians can generate at the top of their game.

Not as much as I miss my own.

So it's going to be a nostalgia show

Of course , minus the zombies.

Who cares about them? I care about Led Zeppelin, and a little thing called artistic integrity.

I care about them as I'm one of them , artistic integrity would be to give the people that have supported them over the years what they want.

Half of it does. Basic genetics. Jason Bonham is exactly half the drummer his father was.

I spent 20 years as a drummer performing in various bands , Jason Bonham is 100% the drummer his father was.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

artistic integrity would be to give the people that have supported them over the years what they want.

No, that's just commercial good sense — a very different thing. Artistic integrity means putting the work before every other consideration; for many artists, such as Van Gogh and Keats, it came before life itself.

Jason Bonham is 100% the drummer his father was.

He's a clone?

Seriously, if he's 100% the drummer his father was, he's worthless as an artist. The point about John Bonham is that he was an original, not a copy of anyone.

edit on 11/11/14 by Astyanax because: of genetic incompatibilities.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join