It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Problem With Americans and Their Disrespect for Obama According to a Canadian

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlastedCaddy
It reads as if it is from 4 years ago. When folks still had hope he'd change something.

You can have him.

It was from OCTOBER 2010.

Source

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

Now that is going a little too far. Also, Bush Jr. was a FAR worse President than Obama was, but even Bush wasn't the worst. That honor (at least in my opinion) goes to Grant.
edit on 10-11-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
He gets just as much respect as bush was given by the liberals.
Remember the Hitler comparisons?
The monkey comparisons?
Why does he deserve any better?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Americans have been less educated in the past and more ignorant in the past, but Americans have never been more ignorant OF the past.

Love that line. Thanks ILG.

To claim a President has never been more disrespected is purely an emotional statement. First how does one quantify this? We have had Presidents assassinated, many attempted to be assassinated, family members poisoned, brought to trial, and almost impeached. You could write an encyclopedia on the amount of mud thrown at each and everyone of them.

The author of this article sounds ignorant of all this and more than a little butt-hurt. That's OK though. He is humorist and can be forgiven if his article lacks quantifiable underpinnings. Those citing the article as some de facto scholarly analysis cannot.

www.williamthomas.ca...

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Came across this article today where a Canadian voices her disgust at Americans and their exceptional "disrespect for Obama." I don't think he should be given a free pass just because he's the first Black President but I do think the disrespect for our President is excessive and extreme. The World is watching....

In president Obama, Americans have the real deal, the whole package, and a leader that citizens of almost every country around the world look to with great envy. Given the opportunity, Canadians would trade our leader—hell, most of our leaders—for Obama in a heartbeat. What America has in Obama is a head of state with vitality and insight and youth. Think about it: Barack Obama is a young Nelson Mandela. Mandela was the face of change and charity for all of Africa, but he was too old to make it happen. The great things Obama might do for America and the world could go on for decades after he’s out of office. America, you know not what you have.

What does ATS think? Do we have a truly great leader in Obama and don't realize it now? Is this a case of we don't know what we have whie we have it?

qz.com...
Guess you weren't paying attention during the prior administration. Besides, I don't view it as disrespect but more as criticism. You should also look at some really old opinion pieces and cartoons depicting long ago sitting presidents. They were pretty severe.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ispyed
a reply to: seeker1963

Not so. Respect goes with the position. You should have respect for the person who is President of the United States. You might hate him but you should respect him. He is the leader of your country. To dis-respect your president is to dis-respect your country.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Not so. One does not "automatically" gain respect simply because of a position that they hold.

The way it works here is:

The OFFICE of the presidency is respected. The OFFICE of any government leader is what deserves respect, because of what that OFFICE holds.

That does not mean that a person that holds that office automatically get's respect. It still something that they have to earn, and normally it's earned through their actions while in that office.

There's a clear difference between showing respect for a position of an office, and the person that holds that office.

Think about past presidents. Some have themselves completely disrespected the office of the presidency through some of their actions (easily coming to mind, Nixon....Clinton).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I agree with the OP. Politics is the problem. So many people HATE Obama because he's a democrat. He's the "enemy", the opposing team and they don't like his position on things.

He may not be Mandela, but I think he's pretty fantastic. He's intelligent, open-minded, even-tempered, caring, tenacious and educated. Anyone else in is position would have blown their brains out by now, IMO. Can you imagine Christie dealing with what Obama's dealt with? Obama's human. He's made mistakes and I definitely disagree with some of his positions, but he's not the monster that so many have made him out to be. And I don't doubt other countries would LOVE to have him as their leader.

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
He gets just as much respect as bush was given by the liberals.

Thank you. Like I said... It's political.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Yes. Respect is much like the Marine Corps sword. Earned, never given. But as you say, the office of the president is respected. Case in point:

These marines still saluted this clueless twat because he is the commander in chief. NOT because he is worth of a salute, or any personal respect. He is a Chicago thug with a pretty speaking voice, who just happened to be shoved down our throats as president.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I know you tossing out this question for the sake of discussion...........not gonna go into all his failures here.....
We didn't elect a President who we feel wants to protect and defend the Constitution of the US.
On the contrary, interviews have surfaced where he actually states the Constitution is "defective" It is a document of No!

DUH!!!!

The Constitution was written with the likes of Obama in mind... The Constitution defends us against despots and those who want to circumvent the peoples process just because congress can't decide
I say Thank God that congress can't decide otherwise we would have a despotic government...a runaway rubber stamping freedom crushing entity.
Its bad enough as it is now............

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Nice picture. Two can play this game:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Obama is a young Nelson Mandela

mandlea was also a known terrorist and killer, and don't say he wasn't there is more than enough evidence to support this.
but i guess some would say one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

i guess some see obama the same way.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Canadian here, I wouldn't want Obama as a Prime Minister in Canada looking at what he's done to his own nation. The opinion of a few Canadians is not the opinion of all.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Yep, you win.

Personally, I am more disgusted with Bush in those instances. He WAS in the military and understands the salute and what it's meaning is. It's not like they surprised him when he got off the plane, they are there every time.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

I'd be willing to trade for Putin

Why do conservatives fawn over Putin? It's bizarre. Seen Russia lately?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Bush worse then 0bama??? Come on now.

Both are Progressives. I will give you that.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

No...Most despise him because of his policies.

No need to hate him because he is a Dem.

And he is more Progressive then Dem.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

They each have their own faults. Bush couldn't speak worth a damn and was too trigger happy. Obama was too inexperienced for the job. But Bush gets the tie breaker for letting the economy go to s# while worrying about two useless wars overseas for WAY longer than we had to (including starting one on trumped up charges). Though let it be clear that I don't like either men.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman
No...Most despise him because of his policies.

Maybe I'm using the wrong word and I actually mean policies. Can you list a few policies you hate in relation to him?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
He is a Chicago thug with a pretty speaking voice, who just happened to be shoved down our throats as president.
Gee...and I thought he was elected by your fellow Americans.
Quick edit to add the word twice.
edit on 10-11-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Geeeze, the person that wrote that article is dippy. People hate Obama because he's a LOUSY president. Sure, some hate him because of partisanship just as some on the left automatically hate anyone on the right due to politics. But the vast majority that can't stand Obama feel that way because he's an utter failure in every aspect.

Bush43 got trashed in the media and by Americans. He earned it. Obama has earned what he's getting. And no, we don't need to automatically give someone respect when everything they do demands just the opposite.

If the OP of that article luvs him so much, we'll be more than happy to ship him off to Canada. In fact, we can make an exchange .... we agree to keep Bieber and never complain about him again as long as you keep Obama UP THERE.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join