It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a debunker site

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
DrC

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It may not be intentional but it does seem like some of the articles (if not all) follow the standard debunker mantra:
Taking all the interesting topics in a positive manor with sympathy and then round them off as something innocuous.
Like the area51 'physics' article that ends with the judgment, high tech flares in the sky.
A long windy article trying to seem important and thoughtful and then slip the BS misinformation/confusion in:
"The most probable explanation: Radar."

Am I alone with a bad taste in my mouth or does this site seem like a lightning rod?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Personally, I'm a skeptical believer. I've seen and read enough to know that it doesn't appear that we are alone in the universe.

However, that doesn't mean I'm willing to believe every crackpot out there with a story and some bad (or even good) photos...

I think many of us just like to separate the wheat from the chaff. Most of us just want to eliminate the likely explanations before leaping to the fantastic....

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It's taken you how long to make this determination? Hmm? You registered today. Why don't you look into the forum to see that there is great interest in this topic.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrC
It may not be intentional but it does seem like some of the articles (if not all) follow the standard debunker mantra:
Taking all the interesting topics in a positive manor with sympathy and then round them off as something innocuous.

So now people are not permited to voice their opinion unless it passes some 'fringe member' test?

Like the area51 'physics' article that ends with the judgment

These threads don't end in any judgment. This is not a debating forum or a formalized one where decisions are reached. Its adiscussion forum. If, after a page or two of discussions, the general or most supported conclusion is that something non-paranormal has occured, or non-conspiratorial, then thats the fault of the paranormalists and conpiratorialists for not being able to adequately support their ideas, not the 'debunkers' for being able to understand and explain the situation.

A long windy article trying to seem important and thoughtful and then slip the BS misinformation/confusion in:
"The most probable explanation: Radar."

No one forces anyone to accept anyone elses conclusions and there are no board endorsements of any conclusions. If a skeptic concludes that its radar or weather balloons, well, then all it means is that the skeptic has concluded that.

Am I alone with a bad taste in my mouth or does this site seem like a lightning rod?

So lets get this straight. You and presumably others haven't been able to adequately support you paranormal/conspiracy theories, and this is somehow unfair and the board's fault?

gazrok
Personally, I'm a skeptical believer.

In fact I would say that most moderators here are paranormalists/conspiracy theorists of one shade or another.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

think many of us just like to separate the wheat from the chaff. Most of us just want to eliminate the likely explanations before leaping to the fantastic....

Exactly, well put!

DrC

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Nygdan, the comment was not about these boards.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   

This is a debunker site

Sorry, can't imagine how we jumped to such an erroneous conclusion...

DrC

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Ridicule is another mechanism Gazrok
Your answer is noted.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrC
Your answer is noted.

Cripes! When's the inquest?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by DrC
Your answer is noted.

Cripes! When's the inquest?

You'll never know ! Nobody expects *dramatic chord* The Spanish inquisition !!!

LOl, I love Monty Python!

link   

Originally posted by DrC

Er? Then why did you post it here? What site is a debunker site then?

Your answer is noted.

Ok, so, again, what site and board are you talking about. Gazrok merely noted that, if you were talking about some other site, then writing 'this site is...' isn't very helpful. Its logical to think you are talking about ATS.

So what site are you talking about?

link   

I'm assuming your comment is more in reference to the articles that the site has. If you read the preface for this, you'll see that the site was founded by Simon to show some of the things he found throughout the years. They are submitted to the viewer as they are, and for their own reference. Since most of the articles I've read are highly "pro" for their subject, I fail to see how you came to the "skeptic" conclusion on them.

Indeed, the board in general is usually far more skeptical than those articles.

Your answer is noted

As is yours...(I'm kidding...
) Muhahaha!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
When you have the freedom of speech that this site offers, it is impossible not to end up "debunking" 99% of what is presented. With virtually penalties for posting false info (other than being banned when caught) it is the job of the members to weed out the garbage on a daily basis.

That is the great thing and annoying thing about ATS. You have access to VASTS amounts of info, but you have to take the personal opinions and agendas that go with the info provided. If you want facts alone with no room for debunking, you came to the wrong place. But if you want to get VARIOUS amts of info, on VARIOUS topics, filled with VARIOUS opinions and insight into those topics, then look no further.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
YOU'RE a debunker site!!!

No. Yes. No.

I don't believe in germs. Germs are just a plot they made up, so they can sell you disinfectants and soaps.

Now you're crazy.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I am a debunker.

A debunker holds up bunk to ridicule. If your stuff isn't bunk, I guarantee I will not ridicule it.

Remember, the only difference between a 'skeptic' and a 'debunker' is that a 'skeptic' agrees with you and a 'debunker doesn't LOL!

One of the reasons that I came here and stayed (annoying many people in the process, no doubt) is that this place is chartered to deny ignorance.

We aren't going to deny ignorance by blindly accepting everyone's assertion, just as we can't deny ignorance by arbitrarily rejecting those assertions, either. Indeed, if everyone buys your assertions without a healthy dose of skepticism, they are spreading ignorance, not denying it!

So you go ahead and tell us your assertions and hypotheses and theories. If I agree with them and think you have the necessary data to back them up, I'll probably agree with you.

If you don't have any evidence or data that passes the BS test, you can bet you'll be asked to produce such evidence. If you can, then you will probabloy win a lot of people, including me, over to your belief.

If you can't come up with any underpinnings for your beliefs, don't expect everyone to buy into them, because it simply won't happen. That may not be the way you want it, but that's the way science (and life) seems to work.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrC
Your answer is noted.

...well Gazrok...he/she told you...now off to bed with no milk and cookies for ya...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Above Top Secret - Uncovering Government Secrets
The new Above Top Secret Ignorance Research Center (ATSIRC) somewhere in Idaho, USA. ATSNN Headlines TerrorAnalysis Headlines...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hmm, I hadn't any clue, don't ask don't tell.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Upon finding the blinding pain of awareness this site opened up to this lagging sheeple... it made me want to get into deBUNKER!

What loads of perfect paranoia perpetuating my 'puter with pounding precision of pandemonium!

(whew)

DrC

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
not impressed but here goes.
moving from inquiry to convincing now (estimated equally likely to fail)

the article

try to read it.
it's all pulled straight out of a hat
all to make the reader think that the massive security is to protect a new type of flare.
Bob Lazar just lied to protect the fact that is was actually a particle accelerator...

And the article about the Dulce facility:
interesting story but howcome there is not a single picture of the facility?

Its such a mindf*ck

You talk about cleaning up. Start with that. The layout of this site and it's fora is one big clutter too.
What's up with the huge artwork for each user?? Is this a lifestyle teen pop music website or is someone here for the substance?

*Edited by TC*

[edit on 11-12-2004 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Hmm, post criticisms in the forum, then claim they aren't about ATS, then claim they are, then advertise another website.

Wow. Just wow.

I hope I get this in before the thread hits the trash bin...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join