It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth of race: Why are we divided by race when there is no such thing?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden
a reply to: dr1234

Now now lets not bring education into this
I've got a Post Grad degree in bioinformatics (and one in Chemistry but that's not important here), people don't like when we egg heads have an educated opinion apparently. Its picking on them or something

Chemistry huh? I did my undergrad to obtain my MCMP (molecular chemistry and medicinal pharmacology) degree, so I'm certainly capable in a discussion of the more molecular aspects of Biology.

But what I've noticed is people claim to have "opinions" on subjects they know absolutely nothing about. Someone with an entire professional and academic career centered on the subject is argued with and challenged by people with literally no background the subject matter/no credibility but misrepresentated third hand science. Sad really... how dumb some are.

That being said, no credible biologist would group humans into subspecies today because we've always treated humans with their own set of rules, and he would be ridiculed as it is pretty much anti- PC. The thing is, although we're integrated today here are some relevant facts.. races used to be largely isolated from eachother, long periods of reproductive isolation is the only way the modern human diversity we see is possible.

We have know entered a global period where these isolated populations have merged in one aggregate population.

Let's look at the different subspecies if Tigers.

Siberian Tiger, Indichinese Tiger, Sumatran Tiger, and more. They have far less diversity between them than our generally accepted races of human, but here these were deemed significant enough to group them into separate subspecies.

The fact is, because we had this integration into one population humans are now far less likely to be broken into subspecies. This should help illustrate the idea that a taxonomic group is not an innate property of the organism itself, it's only a schematic construct. I had a professor in college who was asked "do the different races of human represent separate subspecies?" He took a second, thought about it, and explained that before the various populations of humans integrated with one and other they would be considered sub species by modern criteria. He said whenever we lost the isolation aspect each previous subspecies now became it's own race.

edit on 12-11-2014 by dr1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

PhD in Synthetic organic Chemistry (free radical alterations to cyclic derivatives of amino acids). 10 years in the Pharmaceutical and fine chemical industry, and a post grad degree in bioinformatics recently (and a Masters in Business, because I like my jobs stable
)

There is (in what I've experienced of the west at least) the glorification of the uneducated vs the educated. Yet they run screaming "where are the scientists" when there is a problem (say swine flu, or Ebola).

Evolution is sadly one of those subjects where Abrahamic Religion has a deep stake in (or at least thinks it does). SO it gets attacked. Its usually the outlier members of the Abrahamic faiths that get so bent out of shape.

I'm in a similar thread on proof of evolution at the moment ..

edit on 12-11-2014 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

PhD in Synthetic organic Chemistry (free radical alterations to cyclic derivatives of amino acids). 10 years in the Pharmaceutical and fine chemical industry, and a post grad degree in bioinformatics recently (and a Masters in Business, because I like my jobs stable
)

There is (in what I've experienced of the west at least) the glorification of the uneducated vs the educated. Yet they run screaming "where are the scientists" when there is a problem (say swine flu, or Ebola).

Evolution is sadly one of those subjects where Abrahamic Religion has a deep stake in (or at least thinks it does). SO it gets attacked. Its usually the outlier members of the Abrahamic faiths that get so bent out of shape.

I'm in a similar thread on proof of evolution at the moment ..

Well science tends to undergo a lot of wholesale changes as it makes it's way to the average person's knowledge bank. The list includes misinterpretations, misunderstandings, outright fabrications, and most of these factoids totally lack the context needed to make sense of it. That's why my religious friend argued against evolution by saying "there is no way trees would want to die just to be our food". I couldn't even.

btw, nice resume. You and I should be saught out for perspective on this stuff, not attacked because people don't like the reality

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
You can forgive the ignorance and arrogance of those who have been taught race distinctions, and racial hatred, especially if you are evolutionists. You both have been fooled into believing lies. On the one hand you were taught to believe that different races exist, on the other hand, you have been taught that evolution is real. You have both been duped, and both deserve pity.

Both mindsets are Usually, not always, but usually started out early. As the one is rooted in arrogance and ignorance, so is the other.

Those who understand have pity and do not judge you.

Scripture says this about God:

(Acts 10:34, 35) . . .: “Now I truly understand that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

Very easy to understand.

You see Peter was a Jew. And he was brought up in a culture where Jews DESPISED other people, gentiles. Peter was raised with this prejudice, but God himself taught him a valuable lesson, Peter learned it.

What about those who don't believe in God? The scriptures also shows us the prejudice in such people:

(Psalm 10:4) In his haughtiness, the wicked man makes no investigation; All his thoughts are: “There is no God.”

There is plenty of proof that there is an intelligent designer behind everything. For arrogant and haughty atheists and evolutionists to dismiss him, is just as those haughty Jews, or otherwise, who think they know better, or are better because of their background.

Someone who has true knowledge pities each and every one of you. Knowing you have all been deceived since birth most likely, and if not, because of other injustices perpetuated upon you by wicked and evil people.

The thing is, in the end only the humble and meek will really understand and find life.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: iNobody

Believing that there are racial distinctions amongst humans is not the same as 'racial hatred', as you put it.

That's the underlying tone of the majority of the posts supporting the OP. Whether its biological and caused by .000000000001% of the genome or it is 100% a human construct, the observation and subsequent classification) of the differences does not, in any way, indicate hatred or disdain.

Not everyone who sees that we are different is hateful, you guys should get out more.

ETA: You mention pitying each and every one of its because we've been deceived since birth, while you post bible verses like they prove some point. Who's the one that's been deceived? Well done.
edit on 11/13/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

Say that to the millions killed by Hitler.

Say that to the millions killed by Stalin.

Say that to the millions killed by Pol Pot.

You live in a very sheltered world. You should get out more.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: iNobody

I live in a sheltered world? That's news to me.

Sheltered would be like someone trying to make people ignore a very interesting aspect of humanity so we can just all get along.

I don't care what those psychopaths/sociopaths/all around general douches did based on their perception of race and its implications on human development.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

That response belies a lack of understanding.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

That response belies a lack of understanding.

And your response is dropping with condescension.

In the future, when you choose to use words you are unfamiliar with, you may wish to check the definition.

This topic boils down to a game of titles. Humans like to name/classify/group/etc the things in our natural world. That's just how we work. Nothing hateful about it.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Logical Fallacy Tracker: Appeal to Emotion

Uses: You have no factual arguement? Don't let it stop you! Provide the worst possible scenarios with a little ad hominem in for good measure. This will surely sway the unintelligent!

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I don't HAVE an ANCESTRY my birth was a secret adoption.hence..bastard ,without recriminations.

I just believe we should be side by side and all division is a hostile science.
I am not better as a Beige American I am different amongst ALL peers because of my nature.
I don't see cultural isolation as a solution without LEAVING Constututonal controls and obtaining happiness. VALUES may vary of course but NOT a racial secular spacific totallity.
THAT is a war that would be suicide for the members of the attemping race or breed.
I DON'T want that I just know how to fight.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I had a thrall try to refute evolution in another thread, when I brought up the gene that allows lactose tolerance happening in the same time period as domestication of the cow (by populations that are well known for cows being more than meat to them, and the lack of that gene in populations where cows lactations are not consumed past infancy) say that "well how does that benefit the cow?" Mind you this same twit wanted evolution used to predict how a creature would appear in the future.

Its weasel words to avoid the point that they were out of their depth.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

In the spiritual organisation I belong too I hear a lot of "I don't have an ancestry" going around. Its strange, I'm a bastard (by birth) but my mother kept me (and her family helped raise me). I can only think that 1970s New Zealand had less of a bug up its arse than other places?

I am proud of the heritage (ancestry) that I know about. I'm not particularly fixated on it like some people get (I've a great aunt who has gone pretty far back in the family tree) but I am proud.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Look for all those who "CHOSE" to believe in Race as a biological fact should know that there are real facts and figures based in science that said it ain't so,again and I will repeat this is NOT JUST SOMEONE ELSE' S OPINION...DUDE!! ...i'll continue to say some folks who believe in a non scientific concept called race are not necessarily "RACIST" but their belief makes it easier to facilitate racism.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Exactly. Race really is a social construct, and its being used (by many governments, and yeah we know this has all been said all over the thread). Hell the OP's article says as much as this. How many people read it?

I've explained my stance on race, and why I take it (intellectual elitism). I'd love to know why others are so resistant to the biological facts.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaosComplex
a reply to: iNobody

Believing that there are racial distinctions amongst humans is not the same as 'racial hatred', as you put it.

This is what was stated:

"You can forgive the ignorance and arrogance of those who have been taught race distinctions, and racial hatred."

Nowhere was it stated except by you that they were the same. Just as you are unable to comprehend what was written, and have to stoop to twisting what was stated, so is the rest of your comment.

I realize you care nothing for the truth, or this understanding. Just stating the obvious, for the others that just may be as stupid as you and after reading what was written, believe your twisted version of it, for whatever reason.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

This is what was stated:

"You can forgive the ignorance and arrogance of those who have been taught race distinctions, and racial hatred."

Your statement implies that people who are taught race distinctions are arrogant and ignorant, as well as implying the same qualities (arrogance, ignorance) of people who are taught racial hate. Simple syntax, but based on your use of 'belies' I wouldn't expect your grammatical sword to be quite as sharp as it should be. In fact, if you like I could pick apart the entire first paragraph to emphasize how the order of your words is not actually saying what you want to get across.

I realize you care nothing for the truth, or this understanding. Just stating the obvious, for the others that just may be as stupid as you and after reading what was written, believe your twisted version of it, for whatever reason.

Right. Here we have the defining factor of an individual with nothing else to say. Resorting to grade-school style name calling. I'm stupid for acknowledging the fact that the human mind naturally gravitates towards grouping/ordering things in the world around us. But you're intelligent for misusing simple words and quoting the bible in a scientific discussion.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Ahh so you are now resorting to spell flaming to try and justify your position? For a long time now that has been a signal of defeat akin to Godwins law.

Also I am afraid these things (despite what you say) are indeed based in ignorance.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Ahh so you are now resorting to spell flaming to try and justify your position? For a long time now that has been a signal of defeat akin to Godwins law.

Also I am afraid these things (despite what you say) are indeed based in ignorance.

Just showing that while people may think that their words are being twisted, misinterpreted, or otherwise misconstrued, it is very likely that the original wording is to blame. Especially when delivered through text.

I don't have a horse in this race. It's not important to me if anyone shares my opinions or that they change their own opinions. Godwin's law deals with hyperbole, specifically references to Hitler or Nazis. I believe it was one of your own team that brought up Hitler a few posts back. Well played.

ETA: Here it is, incase you missed it the first time.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I don't have a team neighbor. I am simply pointing out that invoking nazi's, and spell flaming are all considered signs of a lost argument, and trying to raise the noise to the signal to hide the fact.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join