It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hostile multitudes are vast....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
"The hostile multitudes are vast as space --
What chance is there that all should be subdued?

Let but this angry mind be overthrown
And every foe is then and there destroyed."

Chapter 5, Verse 12, Shantideva's "Way of the Bodhisvatta"

Commentary by Pema Chrodon in "No Time to Lose"

"This verse refers to the primary antidote to agression (and anger): the paramita (virtue) of patience. Again shantideva points to the interdependence of our staes of mind and our perceptions of the world around us. thus, without anger, there is no enemy. By calming our enraged mind, eery foe is then and there destroyed. Certainly we know danger when we see it, but this doesn't mean we hate the person holding the gun. [color=yellow] When hatred consumes us, we perceive enemies everywhere".

This is an important work that most buddists study. I was written by an eighth century monk who was considered something of a slacker by his fellow monks. The story goes that the monks said his three relizations were eating, sleeping, and #ting. To teach him a lesson he was asked to give a talk to the entire monastic university - this was an honor reserved for only the best students - they hoped to humiliate him and shame him into leaving.

Before Shantideva began his lecture he asked the assembled monks whether they wanted to hear traditional teaching or something new. The assemblage asked for something new and Shantideva delievered the entire Bodicharyavatara (The Way of the Boddhisvatta), in verse. His teaching is very practical advice for those in all walks of life.

This book has taught me more then any other about controling my mind and my fears.

The above verse is very relevant in this time.
edit on 9-11-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Sounds like the old 'you are your own worst enemy'. Someone once told me, 'your limits are there where you set them'. The greatest limiting factor in human spiritual evolution is the mind and the bogeymen it is able to conjure into seeming existence. The mind also revels in ideas of separation or division, since it is the only function it can perform by design. The paradox is, most believe what their mind conjures up, yet these ideas have no substance or basis in reality.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TatTvamAsi
Sounds like the old 'you are your own worst enemy'. Someone once told me, 'your limits are there where you set them'. The greatest limiting factor in human spiritual evolution is the mind and the bogeymen it is able to conjure into seeming existence. The mind also revels in ideas of separation or division, since it is the only function it can perform by design. The paradox is, most believe what their mind conjures up, yet these ideas have no substance or basis in reality.

Where do you think the 'old' "you are your worst enemy....." came from?

join