It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not microwave glowsticks

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

This has just got to be fake. Lol.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
That made my evening!
Almost as good as the hillbilly that used "too much magnesium" in his homemade fireworks and blew up at the table.

Nah, Glowstick one is better, as it is real, this one is a fake....notice the T-shirt change.

Ties in nicely with the stupid song well though.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

dad help me its in my eyes!

..i gotta see what to do ding-a-ling!

bwahahahaha

i could listen to that kids dad call him a ding-a-ling on repeat for hours.

/priceless
edit on 10-11-2014 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886

Poison control centers report that they get numerous calls about potential glow stick poisoning around Independence Day and Halloween.

Kids an Epic Dumb A**

So he is not the only dumba** out there. That should make him feel a little better that he is not alone at the left side of the bell curve.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I have decided that some day,
when I replace my microwave,
and my children are not home,
I am going to take my old one outside and plug it in with and microwave some stuff that I shouldn't....
Taking appropriate safety precautions and wearing PPE.

If it weren't for my kids seeing it, I would video the action and post it on Youtube.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Oh my god that was freaking hilarious. Watch him turn into the next Bill Nye *Sarcasm*

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Could he've put it in a glass of water, like a lightbilb or an egg. While in the microwave?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I don't know which one is dumber, the kid or his dad. He should have called 911 immediately and had the paramedics treat his son's eyes. Vision is nothing to take chances with.

I also see a lawsuit coming. The warning label on the glow stick probably doesn't say anything about not microwaving them. And because common sense doesn't apply to the US legal system, some ambulance-chaser out there is salivating at the thought of taking the manufacturer to court.

Dex

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

This is exactly why they put all of those ridiculous warning labels on everything. Do not ingest, do not apply heat, do not mix with other chemicals, do not do something really stupid like put our product in the microwave! Ding-a-lings like this actually exist in our world and it's not just the kids that need these warning labels.

It's difficult to believe that we need warnings like, don't sleep with your hair dryer on, or don't eat your iPod, but these labels exist because of people like Jack.

I remember a t.v. commercial for laser tag when I was young. It showed some kids playing laser tag in an arena much like those places you see these days where you can pay to play with the toys, instead of buying them. They had some glowing effects and a vapor machine so the kids would think it's much cooler than it actually was. You know, typical marketing stuff, but at the end of the commercial it said, "stadium not included". That means someone actually complained about not receiving the arena from the advertisement when they bought their $20 toy. I know it's a bit different than getting microwaved glow stick in your eyes, but it questions the stupidity of the human race just the same.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: silverking

Remember the McDonald's Hot Coffee case.
Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants

Since Liebeck, McDonald's has not reduced the service temperature of its coffee. McDonald's policy today is to serve coffee between 80–90 °C (176–194 °F),[31] relying on more sternly-worded warnings on cups made of rigid foam to avoid future liability, though it continues to face lawsuits over hot coffee.

Thus we have:
so that everyone who orders hot coffee knows that it's hot.

Dex

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley
You need to have sympathy for the woman though...she got 3rd degree burns and deserved to sue. It's mcdonald's that wanted that to be 'frivolous'.

Also, don't they have warnings on glow stick bags already? The dollar store ones do

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
If you ask me that is just good science. It is a good psychology lesson as well, considering Jack's dad told him not to microwave that glowstick, yet he did it anyway. The ding-a-ling. As far as the hot coffee argument, it just depends on exactly what happens. If a person orders coffee, and the cup is fine and everything is good, and something happens that has nothing more to do with McDonald's, such as the person spilling it on themselves, I do not see how the company is liable. That is frivolous in my opinion mainly because everybody should know that coffee is hot. I made some coffee the other day and walked outside with it, and my dog wanted to follow me and was a bit too excited, and he bumped my leg and caused me to spill some on my hand. It burned my hand, as it was hot. Well technically that is my dog's fault, but I probably won't sue considering that as his owner I would have to pay myself. Maybe there is some tax advantage there, but I'm not sure. I will check it out.

Seriously though, after a person leaves the store with their coffee, it is their responsibility. Now the case that is the most famous, and what I assume is being referred to in this thread, was horrible for the 79 year old woman who spilled it on herself. Part of the problem was the fact that she tried to hold it between her legs while opening it, which caused it to spill, and the liquid then soaked into her cotton pants and remained in contact with the skin. There is no doubt that she was the one who caused the spilling, but the lawsuit hinged on the argument that the company served their coffee at exceedingly high temperatures. In fact, it was determined during the trial that a person could not consume fresh McDonald's coffee without burning their throat. A crucial revelation was that by simply lowering the temperature of the coffee by ten degrees would add precious seconds to the amount of time that the coffee could remain in contact with the skin before producing 3rd degree burns.

Now one thing that works in the plaintiff's favor in my opinion is this: the cups that McDonald's serves their coffee in are absolutely inadequate for such a hot beverage. This goes for any place serving coffee in such cups. I say this because the majority of those who order coffee will be drinking it while driving, and thus they cannot be expected to handle it with the same amount of care, since they have to concentrate driving so they don't, you know, die. One thing that McDonald's could have potentially done to cut down on such instances is to add the cream or sugar to the coffee as it is requested, thus reducing the need for a person to have to open the flimsy cup while sitting in their car...Especially while driving, which makes it infinitely worse. The woman in the lawsuit was not driving, rather she was a passenger, and the car was stopped. IMO the coffee was too hot, and that is the only reason that this lawsuit could not be considered frivolous, since it was her fault. The jury determined that only 20% of the incident was the woman's fault, the rest of the blame falling on McDonald's, but I do not agree with those numbers. Even at a lower temperature the woman still would have suffered 3rd degree burns in my opinion, because there was no way to remove the coffee once it had spilled. One thing to consider is the fact that the majority of similar cases are thrown out before they ever reach the trial portion. Judges have too much power if you ask me, considering that many of their decisions are based upon personal preference and belief rather than the rule of law.
edit on 11/12/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

You need to have sympathy for the woman though...she got 3rd degree burns and deserved to sue. It's mcdonald's that wanted that to be 'frivolous'.

I came across a few images of what were supposed to have been the massive burns this woman experienced.

I have a really hard time believing those injuries came from a hot cup of coffee. Maybe if she had magnesium-lined underwear that ignited when the coffee hit it, I'd buy 3rd degree burns.

When I saw them, the first thought that crossed my mind was: "Was this woman made out of wax?"

Also, don't they have warnings on glow stick bags already? The dollar store ones do

I'm not sure of all of the warnings on the packaging. I don't have one handy. But If I recall correctly, there is as much safety printing on the package as there is branding and product name.

I wouldn't be surprised if that warning is already on there. The kid doesn't look to creative, or bright, so that's probably where he got the idea. I can image the thought process: "What else can I do with thing? I know! I'll look on the warning label to see what I'm not supposed to do with it!"

Dex

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus
Thanks for the informative post. I have a couple of hopefully respectful comments:

but the lawsuit hinged on the argument that the company served their coffee at exceedingly high temperatures

The nice thing about really hot coffee is that it stays hot for a long time. The construction worker that goes to McDonald's to fill up his Thermos with hot coffee wants it to start off as hot as possible, so it remains hot throughout the day. Now, because hot coffee burns little old ladies that aren't paying attention, the construction worker is drinking cold coffee by the end of the day.

That probably doesn't sound like a fair comparison. But the bottom line is that this one incident caused a company to change its business practices. Ones that were completely acceptable by the vast majority of its patrons. Other customers who prefer their products a certain way must now sacrifice their preferences because a very small minority finds them unacceptable.

In fact, it was determined during the trial that a person could not consume fresh McDonald's coffee without burning their throat.

I don't know who they used to do their testing. But one can avoid burning one's throat by slurping. A skilled slurper can slurp boiling water and not get burned. But perhaps expert slurping is a gift and not allowed as counter-evidence to the hazards of drinking hot coffee.

A crucial revelation was that by simply lowering the temperature of the coffee by ten degrees would add precious seconds to the amount of time that the coffee could remain in contact with the skin before producing 3rd degree burns.

But if I recall correctly, the temperature of the coffee at McDonald's was within the standard range of hot coffee served at numerous other restaurants. Would dropping a cup of hot coffee that was 10 degrees cooler have saved the 79 year old from her 3rd degree burns?

the cups that McDonald's serves their coffee in are absolutely inadequate for such a hot beverage. This goes for any place serving coffee in such cups.

No argument from me on this. I believe I've had a couple of these cups deform and the lid pops off. Thus spilling it's contents, both hot and cold, on me. Not a fun experience, but I guess I don't burn that easily.

One thing that McDonald's could have potentially done to cut down on such instances is to add the cream or sugar to the coffee as it is requested, thus reducing the need for a person to have to open the flimsy cup while sitting in their car

So that's why the last time I purchased coffee at McDonald's, the worker added the cream and sugar for me. I thought it was because people were stealing the cream and sugar.

I see your point though with the flimsy cups. On the other hand, one could make the argument that there are other alternative fast-food restaurants that serve coffee in more substantial containers. If the customer feels the products are inadequate, they have other choices.

Judges have too much power if you ask me, considering that many of their decisions are based upon personal preference and belief rather than the rule of law.

Also no argument on this one either. In the courtroom Judges are kings in their own little kingdoms. The can do pretty much anything they want. But I see a lot of the "ole boys" network too. Judges are a lot more cooperative with attorneys than with the common folk that come before them. I believe that it's not uncommon for judges to look down their noses, so to speak, at anyone not in the legal profession.

The problem with the rule of law is the law itself. Some of the punctuation-challenged gobbledy-gook I was looking at today could potentially be parsed several ways by a normal English speaker. And some un-parseable sections looked like someone vomited up a mess of nouns, adjectives, adverbs and the like to make it look like it's saying something. Laws should be constructed in meaningful ways that don't require so much interpretation.

Thanks for the interesting perspective on this legal case.

Dex

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I saw this video last night and I couldn't watch the entire thing so I don't know how it ended. I really hope the kid is ok is all I have to say and some of you are laughing at his misery.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

I'm just laughing at the surprised look on his face and his Dad. Not any pain the kid might have felt.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Kids like that are the future of Humanity.....

we are so doomed.....

I wonder kind of crazy sh*t Jack's kids are going to get upto?

If he's around to have any, he'll probably try microwaving his head coz his friend tells him its fun.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

faaaaaaaake....

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

i'm with you on this one....it really does seem staged...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

it's been done....there was a show on youtube, once upon a time, called "is it a good idea to microwave this?"

it was a big deal, when it was on....goddamn funny too....

you should check it out..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join