It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telepathy is now possible using current technology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is very interesting. What do you think could be some future uses for something like this?

Researchers at the University of Washington just demonstrated that two people could work together telepathically to play a video game.

How did that work? One of the subjects could see the game, but had no controller. His partner had a controller, but couldn't see the game. By using electrodes and electromagnets, the researchers created a way to allow the first person to control the second person's controller hand just by thinking about it.

It's pretty impressive — although the experiment doesn't quite mean we're on the cusp of being able to read each other's minds. For one, telepathically controlling hand twitches isn't quite the same as sharing ideas, thoughts, or dreams.

This telepathy research could end up being largely useless — or it could be what everyone ends up doing in a few decades. Here's what you need to know about recent advances in this field:

www.vox.com...

It can become very useful as the technology gets better. Here's a deeper description of the set up.

Two people are cooperating to play a game that involves firing a canon at targets. Person A can see the game, but has no controller. Person B has a controller, but can't see the game. So Person A needs some way to tell Person B how to play.

Here's how: When Person A wanted to make a move in the game, he simply thought about moving his hand. His brain signals were picked up by a cap of electrodes on his head and sent off to Person B — who was about half a mile away. There, an electromagnet beamed signals into the area of Person B's brain that controls hand movement. This stimulation automatically made Person B's hand move, touching a touchpad that controlled the game.

All in all, the communication took a split second. Participants successfully clicked when they were supposed to about 25 to 83 percent of the time, depending on the pair of people involved.

It's interesting that some pairs were more in tune than others were. Maybe Psi plays a role in these results but of course it's just absurd to even ask the question.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Psi has nothing to do with it. Did you read the article?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I'm not overly fond of telepathy - I like my thoughts were they belong, that is, in my head exclusively. But controlling a hand with one's mind could really benefit handicapped people. S&F for the find.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Here we go, a knee jerk response just by the mere mention of Psi?

Did you even read my post or did you just get blinded when you saw Psi? The article talked about how some pairs had more success than other pairs. It was a range from 25 to 83%.

I simply asked the question could Psi be a reason why there's a discrepancy between pairs. Do some pairs know each other while others don't? Do these pairs that know each other have more success? Is it strangers that have more success? Were all participants in the study strangers?

Again, these are just simple questions but of course you hear Psi and have a knee jerk reaction.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

I'm not overly fond of telepathy - I like my thoughts were they belong, that is, in my head exclusively. But controlling a hand with one's mind could really benefit handicapped people. S&F for the find.

This is true. Maybe even have like a box someone could carry or wear and the person paralyzed could send a message to move their hand to the box and the box sends the signal to their hand and moves their hand.

Hopefully they can get better at mapping the signals through technology like this.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Slightly off topic but bear with me; there was a book out a while back called 'Interview with an Alien' that was purported to be fiction but who knows; the great part of it was when the alien made it clear that the generals were terrified of her because 'they knew that I knew what they were thinking and planning'...

I'm looking forward to humans acquiring and enhancing their built-in psi and telepathic abilities.

No. More. Secrets.

Interview With An Alien free PDF

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

I'm looking forward to humans acquiring and enhancing their built-in psi and telepathic abilities.

No. More. Secrets.

You're not the only one.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Yes, it has benefit potential, but it's open to abuse too.

'Controlling the other player's controller', is as good as just saying controlling the other player...that should be ringing a few loud alarm bells i would have thought. This is being revealed as consumer level tech, public knowledge stuff. It's common for the military and other agencies have a much greater, much further developed version of the tech a long time before the consumer versions are revealed or made public..that should be ringing another few bells imo.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I think many would say it that is not telepathy using the generally accepted definition.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
What do you think we do as a species?

Notice how all of technology is bringing us closer to an event horizon?

That's not the plan but it's a play being act out on a grander scale through human consciousness.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It's a bit of a cheat sheet, but still there could be uses there, though I would hate that the military latches on. Manchurian Candidate without the brainwashing anyone?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I read the link. Nothing to do with psi. Strange that you accuse me of knee-jerking yet you're the one instinctively trying to crowbar your personal beliefs into an article that says nothing of the sort.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
Slightly off topic but bear with me; there was a book out a while back called 'Interview with an Alien' that was purported to be fiction but who knows; the great part of it was when the alien made it clear that the generals were terrified of her because 'they knew that I knew what they were thinking and planning'...

No. More. Secrets.

You do realize this would require all politicians to wear tin foil hats. How ironic.

Interesting times...

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

Again, these are just simple questions but of course you hear Psi and have a knee jerk reaction.

I'd say assuming it has anything to do with "psi" is the knee jerk. Might as well invoke aliens, or Tesla.

What about something a bit more prosaic, like the setup used to detect the decision on one side, and cause a twitch on the other just works better for some subjects than others, and if you pair up a good "decider" and a good "twitcher" you get better results than if you pair up the two worst ones?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I read the link. Nothing to do with psi. Strange that you accuse me of knee-jerking yet you're the one instinctively trying to crowbar your personal beliefs into an article that says nothing of the sort.

You're the only one blinded by the word Psi.

I never said the article says anything about Psi. I said Psi could be an explanation as to why there's a difference between pairs in the study.

You can always tell a pseudoskeptic. As soon as anything like this is mentioned even in passing you have a knee jerk response.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

I'd say assuming it has anything to do with "psi" is the knee jerk. Might as well invoke aliens, or Tesla.

What about something a bit more prosaic, like the setup used to detect the decision on one side, and cause a twitch on the other just works better for some subjects than others, and if you pair up a good "decider" and a good "twitcher" you get better results than if you pair up the two worst ones?

Well, that can be asked to if you're trying to ask the question why there's a difference between pairs.

The problem with you is, any mention of psi as a possible explanation is met with blind opposition. I say explore these questions with an open mind, you''ll say explorer these questions as long as it fits into a neat box of your pre-existent belief.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Obviously you did not read the article, or you're thinking PS I is pounds per square inch, which is not the case here. In reality this article has to do with telepathy which is one of the most basic forms of Psi. So I hate to be that guy but you should check yourself with the knee jerking

In fact here is something you can read on Psi and telepathy so that you may educate yourself... archived.parapsych.org...
edit on 9/11/14 by gunshooter because: post link

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Well, that can be asked to if you're trying to ask the question why there's a difference between pairs.

The problem with you is, any mention of psi as a possible explanation is met with blind opposition. I say explore these questions with an open mind, you''ll say explorer these questions as long as it fits into a neat box of your pre-existent belief.

I see no need to invoke psi at all. It seems to fit into a neat box of desires on your part though. Don't be the Alien George of psi, even if the journo used the term telepathy gratuitously.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

Measuring brainwaves is not psi, no matter how much you try and çontort the definition of the word.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Telepathy is now possible using current technology

If it requires technology, it's no telepathy anymore.
Everybody has a brain, but no single human should pretend that he got a user manual with it.
And that's the problem ... how many Easter eggs and hidden features will we be able to rediscover trough tech, just because we were too lazy/comfy to forget about them ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join