It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science, Religion and Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Science, Religion and Mars

I�m not a formally educated expert on any of these topics, most of the theory I�m about to lay out comes from a lot of thought in my spare time to the subject of creation. I find that a lot of people like to subscribe to one theory, call it truth and than be done with the matter of when, why, where and how we came to be here. God is great and religion has some truth, but the reality is the average guy like myself doesn�t really understand divinity never mind the science or logic behind a lot of it. But with some logic, a little faith and a ton of speculation I now have the beginning of a working theory that has the propesinity to be solvable.

Let�s start with mars, little dust ball not to far from us so I hear. It has recently been stated as a fact that there is water on Mars, and has been speculated that there was rivers etc.. at one point in time. It is also strongly believed that life did exist there. Even if it were 1-celled organisms it would mean a lot.

I�m not a DNA expert but from what I gather when it comes to this topic and Mars it is a double bladed sword. The implications of DNA containing microorganisms on Mars would be profound to theories of the creation of man here on earth. If in fact if DNA is found on Mars than the questions of how did it get there would be flying. Can we create DNA in a lab? If we have the right mixtures of the right stuff can we grow a fish from a pool of protein and nucleate slime? If it is truly as amazing as having a 2004 ford be created on it�s own in your back yard by simply sticking all the parts for it in a pond and waiting for nature to put them all together every screw in the right place etc.. than maybe we should be looking for other explanations. If it is not that amazing of an event than the concept of intelligent life on other planets containing water is nothing but a stone through away and shouldn�t be shrugged off so easily by anyone. We are but babies in the universe, all 6.1 billion of us and should put aside our arrogance to grow a little in this vast expansion of space we call home.

The other side of this sword is that DNA is the amazing ford parts in your pond and let nature assemble it. With the risk of degrading of parts etc over millions of years myself; and I think most people would think it would be a near impossible task. This would open DNA up to a little more theoretical debate as far as its origins. There�s a theory about spores (they do carry DNA) being able to keep the DNA in tact while traveling in space and in solar winds in the harsh conditions if space. There are also spores in the upper atmosphere than can theoretically be carried through space right from the upper atmosphere via solar winds. If this is true than we may very well be seeding another planet millions of years in the future if those spores find the right conditions elsewhere to prosper. This would raise an interesting question if true, one that can be tested and may answer questions about how life got here. If it is in fact true that DNA can travel through space via solar winds or any other means than it would be possible to find some DNA in space, possibly even the DNA that we all originated from. Here�s where religion meats science.

To say there is a divide between science and religion would be the understatement of the year, but they are both trying to find the answers we all seek. But that divide isn�t all the great when you look at creation of man and imagination. We all have an energy going through us, neural pathways forming neurons firing the whole shebang. That mechanism (or at least a container for it) is created by our DNA. If we did in fact find not only one DNA type in space but plant and animal and lots of different specious types it would lay down a foundation for the creation of life here. If we look at God as the intelligence behind the construct of the universe, the underlying force that sets the vibration for strings, the force that determines the spin of an electron and the other fine tuned variables that make our reality shaped how it is today than I think you may be headed in the right direction. For some reason most people have decided that order denotes purpose and this drives home that particular line of thinking. So in the area of God, people have acknowledged that underlying intelligence in one way or another, most have even been as bold to give it attributes and personality. In the area of science they have not acknowledged an underlying intelligence yet they are attempting to do a meticulous search for truth witch may land them in the area of religion, if order does indeed denote purpose than intelligence will be found. A steping stone in bringing us closer to the answers here would be to find some original DNA if such a thing exists.

Please try not to be to critical of this theory, it is still a baby and needs a lot of work and brushing up more research etc. I�m just a simple guy and like most people have a hard time tying the strings of what the hell is going on around me together.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by J0HNSmith]

join