It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Taiwanese Pro-Independence Party May Gain Legislative Majority: Predicts Win To Alarm China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The leader of Taiwans pro independence party is predicting that a narrow victory will occur in Saturdays elections. The victory may cause alarm in China and may speed up the move towards Independence for the island nation. The current president has told supporters that if his party controls more than half of the seats in the legislature, China will be forced to negotiate to end hostilities.

edition.cnn.com
TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) -- The Taiwanese leader's party and its pro-independence allies are predicting a narrow victory in Saturday's legislative elections -- a win that would likely alarm rival China and speed up the island's drift away from Beijing's sacred goal of unification.

President Chen Shui-bian has been telling voters that if his coalition controls the 225-seat parliament for the first time in Taiwan's history, China will stop ignoring him and start negotiating to end hostilities dating back to a civil war that split the two sides five decades ago.

Leaders from both sides of the Taiwan Strait haven't met since. Beijing has repeatedly threatened war if Taiwan rejects eventual unification

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

China has taken a seat in this election having learned from past experience that their attempts to influence elections in the past has pushed voters towards pro independence candidates. It remains to be seen how aggressive they will become if the group gains a majority. China has threatened aggressive action if the island nation moves towards independence. That would have to be balanced with their desire to hold the 2008 Olympics. It is unlikely that they would do anything until after the 2008 event.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Can China Invade Taiwan?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Olympics or not, I'll buy some extra sandbasgs just in case, alternatively China might be tempted to dump large amounts of dollars to pressurize the aliies of Taiwan.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Olympics or not, I'll buy some extra sandbasgs just in case, alternatively China might be tempted to dump large amounts of dollars to pressurize the aliies of Taiwan.

Doubt it, they would also take a hit and if the US economy tanks, who is going to buy thier goods?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well if China ever thinks it can invade and be welcomed with open arms they should read this:

Make no mistake, I and many of my fellow Taiwanese have vowed that in case of Chinese attack we will not leave Taiwan, and if at that time we are overseas, we will return to Taiwan to fight.

I will buy my own ticket to the then new "Republic of Taiwan" , arm and help fight off the Chinese invasion farces( I wonder if they'll let take my 'street sweeper' on the plane).

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
No doubt, China would win, but you never ever underestimate the ferocity of people defending thier nation. China would ultimetly win, but would pay a price so steep they will wish they never crossed the straight.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well the history of Taiwan and China has been a little quirky(funny).

They rattled their sabers

when martial law was lifted

when the first elections w/ opposition parties was held

when the first presidential election was held

when the state to state statement was stated

during the second presidential election

during the 3rd presidential election and referendum.

So Taiwan almost doesn't note Chinese saber rattling and they have no reason to because they have no contact w/ China.

The Taiwanese will just have to arm to the teeth to ward off attack.
Isn't that what America has done.

The weapons , the saber rattling silliness is driving a new arms race . You don't think Russia is rearming because of the U.S. and Europe do you ?

No, Russia is rearming because of perceived threats from the EAST ! It already has no fear of the WEST , other than Putin's ongoing fear of criticism .

The real and only threat to the CCP is it's misguided threat assessment . It sees and reacts to something that is not there . For us it is like watching a blind man with a cane who walks and suddenly stops and whirls striking in all directions as if would be robbers approach.

This is funny to see , but sad to contemplate.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Voting has begun in Taiwan as the Pro Independance party is anticipating that they will gain a majority.

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) -- Taiwan's leader urged voters to make history Saturday by giving his party and its pro-independence ally control of the legislature for the first time -- a change that could bring the island closer to a conflict with rival China.

President Chen Shui-bian's coalition has been making Chinese leaders nervous by pushing for a Taiwanese identity that's separate from the communist giant -- which claims self-governed Taiwan is Chinese territory and must eventually accept Beijing's rule.

Election: Taiwan

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I think It's going to be a close vote w/ the pan-green edging out the pan-blue coalition.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodebliss
I think It's going to be a close vote w/ the pan-green edging out the pan-blue coalition.

Which is the Pro Independance? I for one hope that they win. China will have to act and we will see what they are really made of.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
it's the pan-green and China does not HAVE to react.

The CCP has been under reacting all this time . It will probably do the same as it always has done. Make threats, saber rattle , and shut-up.

In it's current situation , I don't think it can afford to do anything else.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
hahaha...man, looks like pan-green didn't achieve its objective.

pan-green combined: 101
pan-blue combined: 114
other: 10

DDP (president Chen's party) still got the most seats though.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
twchang ,
The Pan-green will get them next time!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
hahaha...yea, hopefully.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
What exactly is the signifigance of "pan green and pan blue" Whats with the colors?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The Pan-blue is:

the KMT(chinese nationalist party), PFP(people first party) and the New party.

The Pan-green is:

the DPP(democratic progressive party), and the TSU(Taiwan solidarity union)

[edit on 12/11/2004 by bodebliss]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
In terms of what they say about unification, keeping status quo or independence:

Pan-green have 2 parties:
- Democratic Progressive Party (DPP): keep status quo and slowly getting support for a normal, independent nation.

- Taiwan Solidarity Union: similar to DPP, but they are more aggressive in the movement, they think Taiwan should construct a new constitution and change its name etc immidiately.

Pan-blue have 3 parties:
- Nationalist (KMT): their main objective is to keep status quo. the members of KMT have different opinions. The older KMT members probably want eventual unification with China, while the younger members think that eventual independence is an option as well.

- People First Party: their main objective is eventual unification.
- New Party: they want immidiate unification...but they only got 1 seat in this election so they are really a very tiny party.

So in a way, you can say that KMT is a counter of DPP, and People First Party is a counter of Taiwan Solidarity Union.

There are also other issues such as education in which both sides might hold different opinion. But in terms of unification, independence, ...etc, those are basicly it.

[edit on 11-12-2004 by twchang]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Good analysis, twchang.

new topics

top topics

join