It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats may never win back the House

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Democrats may never win back the House

Sure they will. At some point they'll get it and they'll gloat and the republicans will whine, just like the republicans are gloating now and the democrats are whining. Same/same.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Now, that's one way to think about it but it will never happen. Red states want to stay red, if Texas were to go the Nebraska-Maine method they would give up a few electoral votes because there are still Democrats in those districts, it would be completely unacceptable to the Texas GOP. The same goes for blue states.

The best thing about the Nebraska-Maine method is that it gives the minority some voting power. Politicians don't normally give the minority anything.

As to the title of the thread, I imagine the Democrats will win back the house. I don't imagine they'll do it in this decade. That's what I was trying to get across. The deck is stacked against them.

In 2012 the Democrats got 59.6 million votes nationwide, 48.8% of the total. The GOP got 58.2 million, 47.6% of the total. They GOP held the majority 234-201. The House failed to represent the majority of voters in 2012. Maybe that was an outlier, but that remains to be seen.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

a reply to: links234

The House failed to represent the majority of voters in 2012.

Correct.

They represent the majority of the population.

The Constitution says so.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Right...I just said that.

It's not about whether they represent the voters or the population, it's about the GOP not losing the house until 2022 because of the way the votes are cast.

If anything it points to a failure of the constitution as it was written to accurately represent the nation. I imagine, given the results of the senate wins this year, the majority of votes will be for the GOP in the house. I'm not sure if that will be the case for 2016 or not.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

Yeah.

Okay.

The likelihood of that scenario is also zero.

It's not zero, be realistic at least. It's possible but unlikely and HAS been considered in the past. However, there's a first time for everything and depending on the situation in the next election it could happen. I give it 5% at this point.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

The likelihood of this scenario is so statistically insignificant as to suggest that it is zero.

A 5% chance would mean that if this scenario was attempted 20 times, it would occur 1 time.

I see it as much more insignificant than that.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Was that a poem? you stated quite well lol even though with this staged system.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I'm definitely not a big fan of the GOP but I'll say this much. I (somewhat reluctantly) supported the Democrats in 2008 because I was just desperate for relief after 8 years of Bush and his cohorts. I don't really know what I expected but Obama did not turn out to be anything like what I expected and IMO, he's worse than Bush in many ways. Not the least of which is the fact that he has a lot of mindless supporters who will never protest anything he does for any reason. They will be right there to try and shut you up anytime you try to make a peep about it.

At this point, if the Democratic party ceased to exist, I would not care. If we're going to have the kind of crap we've been dealing with since the Democrats took over, we might as well just have the Republicans.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It doesn't matter because in a few decades the conservative although belonging to the democratic party, Muslims, Hispanics, Jewish, and African Americans will change the face of the democratic party.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join