It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Much Pesticide Residue on Your Produce? FDA Doesn't Know New GAO report reveals FDA doing scant

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
You said this:

DDT has been renamed since then and reintroduced into the farming system with very minor changes that did nothing to reduce the danger it had.

You then provided a link to Dicofol. According to your link, Dicofol has been in use since 1957. DDT was "banned" in the US in 1972. Dicofol is not DDT renamed.

Monsanto is modifying it's formulas constantly to combat resistance.
You didn't say anything about resistance. This is what you said:

I expect the same thing to happen if Glycophosphate is banned. A new patent probably has already been filed.

You are presenting only misinformation. When asked to clarify or provide evidence, you divert.

edit on 11/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage I read an article on science daily about a week or so ago about the time to remove these chemicals from the environment, about fourteen years average, and the reintroduction of some of these chemicals, one being very similar to ddt. I couldn't find the link on science daily so I did a search and it sounded about the same.

I'm not good at using sciencedaily's search engine. I often scroll back to older articles, but this is about a week and a half ago, that is a lot of articles to scroll through.

I found the article I read, it must have been a side article related to the recent article I had found. It says in this article that the Methoxychlor was a replacement for the DDT and is a similar related chemical. The use of this chemical increased a lot after DDT was banned, it has been banned since 2002 for similar reasons to DDT. Dicofol contained up to ten percent DDT years after DDT was banned also and the government has taken action to stop that in this country.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Sorry, I don't memorize word for word what I read, I just add the just of the info to my knowledge of how they do things.

The government does not regulate these chemicals in other nations, and we do buy these products from countries that use the banned chemicals. If no checking is done, how do we know the products aren't contaminated?

edit on 8-11-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I suppose the problem is that most choices are down to having excessive pesticide slathered on your food or a lesser amount engineered into it. However the bigger problem is regulatory capture of agencies that are supposed to watch over agricultural practices by companies in the business of producing agricultrual products and pesticides. If you look around on the net, there are some Venn diagrams that show just how bad this revolving door practice has become lately.

More or less, squat is being done because the foxes are pretty well set guarding the henhouse. FDA has been rendered more or less useless in regards to what it's supposed to be doing.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: pauljs75

Actually, if you read the report, squat is being done. Violations are found. However the level of testing has much room for improvement.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Sabiduria

Monsanto does not raise food crops.

Yes, Monsanto produces pesticides. Pesticides which farmers like to use because they increase their productivity.

You know I find it funny.. You site bees as insects... Ironically for being an insect they are damn near vital to the survival of many many many things... Ever see Bee Movie?

You blow off saying well Monstanto is making these chemicals and the farmers are using them so meh it isnt Monstanto's issue eh?

Well I believe it is thinking like that is going to destroy this planet.. Well not particularity the planet but the virus on it so to speak.. We take take take and never give back.. Always take... We dont give a crap about what the repercussions are to those actions.. I bit of waste here, a few million dead bees there, a few dead kids there.. meh all in the name of science and betterment of human kind..

You people are so near sighted that it isnt even funny...

Thanks for backing me on that bee thing.. I was at work and didn't have the ability to look for a few things.
edit on 11/9/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/9/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThichHeaded

Monsanto does not raise food crops.

Yes, Monsanto produces pesticides. Pesticides which farmers like to use because they increase their productivity.

You know I find it funny.. You site bees as insects... Ironically for being an insect they are damn near vital to the survival of many many many things... Ever see Bee Movie?

You blow off saying well Monstanto is making these chemicals and the farmers are using them so meh it isnt Monstanto's issue eh?

Well I believe it is thinking like that is going to destroy this planet.. Well not particularity the planet but the virus on it so to speak.. We take take take and never give back.. Always take... We dont give a crap about what the repercussions are to those actions.. I bit of waste here, a few million dead bees there, a few dead kids there.. meh all in the name of science and betterment of human kind..

You people are so near sighted that it isnt even funny...

Thanks for backing me on that bee thing.. I was at work and didn't have the ability to look for a few things.

Not the bees again.. The sky is not falling, and there are many more reasons than chemicals and GMOs for the domesticated honey bee to decline in population.

There are thousands of species of bees in the world, but the focus is on the domestic honey bee -- because people called apiarists notice when they lose a colony (or more) and they lose money. Science doesn't really know much about the rest of the populations of the bees out there.

When a society needs to feed massive populations they tend to clear large swathes of land and monocrop it all. This kills any existing ecosystem that was there, including wild bees and other living pollinators. Because of this, the farmers need to hire apiarists to truck in their bee colonies all around the nation. This leads to many problems for the bees, and the apiarists who rely on them for their income.

Meanwhile, there are thousands of other kinds of insects that act as a pollinator.. Even the wind is a pollinator for many plants. Please don't think that if the domesticated honey bee dies off (which it won't), that humanity is doomed. You will probably have to pay more money for real honey, and other produce that rely on honey bee pollination.

Back on topic.. Yes the FDA should be testing a whole lot more than nearly nothing. However, they probably won't. What do you think can be done to fix that situation?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

a reply to: FyreByrd

I agree that's a concern. I said that.

I don't know why you had to throw Monsanto into it. It just muddies the water, as you can see.

I agree. I would hope to hear from someone with some statistical background if this one-tenth of one percent (or whatever the percentage was) is adequate for telling the consuming public anything.

This is an FDA issue, not a Monsanto bashing.
edit on 9-11-2014 by BeefNoMeat because: Tried to quote Phage but still can't get it correct - first 4 sentences of post are Phage's take.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria

We need to remember that just because the FDA approves something, doesn't mean that it works. Look at the Dr Oz scandal. All those "miracle" pills for weight loss and other various things that were approved by the FDA but they don't work and we know they don't work.

All the FDA is there to do is attempt to make sure that you won't kill yourself with something, and if you are putting your faith in government to keep you safe ... I have to ask you, why? Why do you still have any faith in government for that? Haven't you learned anything recently?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
I did not forget. I am talking to others about the FDA & talking to you about Monsanto. I'm still on topic as we've already established that Monsanto uses pesticides & GMO has been approved by the FDA.

You had nothing to counter what I said so you bailed on the topic. That's ok, you seem to be completely ignorant to Monsanto & you seem to want to remain that way as well so I'm going to stop here and not continue wasting my time on those wishing to remain ignorant.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I'm still on topic as we've already established that Monsanto uses pesticides & GMO has been approved by the FDA.
The topic is inadequate testing of food crops for pesticides. Monsanto does not produce food crops.

You had nothing to counter what I said so you bailed on the topic.
You started talking about GMOs. GMOs are not the topic.

That's ok, you seem to be completely ignorant to Monsanto
No. I seem to know a bit more about it than you do, actually. That could be because I look at more than one side of things.

I'm going to stop here
OK.
edit on 11/9/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Even though DDT was banned in the United States in the 1970s but continues to be used for malaria control in countries including India and South Africa.

Here is another article about DDT from science daily

Scientists gave mice doses of DDT comparable to exposures of people living in malaria-infested regions where it is regularly sprayed, as well as of pregnant mothers of U.S. adults who are now in their 50s.

"The women and men this study is most applicable to in the United States are currently at the age when they're more likely to develop metabolic syndrome, because these are diseases of middle- to late adulthood," said lead author Michele La Merrill, assistant professor of environmental toxicology at UC Davis.

The scientists found that exposure to DDT before birth slowed the metabolism of female mice and lowered their tolerance of cold temperature. This increased their likelihood of developing metabolic syndrome and its host of related conditions.

Pesticide DDT linked to slow metabolism, obesity and diabetes, mouse study finds

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

Your welcome.

The bee issue is very huge in my area because of all the orchards in the valley I live in.

I know user knoledgeispower and she has posted some really great stuff about gmo's & pesticides. ((well more than just those subjects)) She is also the one who taught me about all this stuff and introduced me to ATS a couple years back. She also encouraged me to finally join the community so I can take part in discussions and pick more peoples brains.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

We need to remember that just because the FDA approves something, doesn't mean that it works. Look at the Dr Oz scandal. All those "miracle" pills for weight loss and other various things that were approved by the FDA but they don't work and we know they don't work.

All the FDA is there to do is attempt to make sure that you won't kill yourself with something, and if you are putting your faith in government to keep you safe ... I have to ask you, why? Why do you still have any faith in government for that? Haven't you learned anything recently?

Did I say anything at all in that post that says I have any faith in government? I don't even mention the government, just that you can't trust the FDA & gave a recent example as to why. The Dr. Oz thing was a huge scandal and I know it was all over the tv even though I don't own one.

If you've been following any of my posts I've made on ATS since Sept 3rd of this year when I joined, you would know that I do not trust the government at all. I know 9/11 was done by the U.S, just like I know Ebola is an orchestrated event that kills multiple birds with one stone. I'm even on the 'Out of the Box' show talking about vaccine scams, medical system being a joke, etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Yes, that side would be official government sources, and official lines from the companies who all claim to be separate.

You sure Monsanto does not produce food crops?

You sure they are not tied at the hip to food producers , and other groups ?

You sure they are not part of a large system that makes dam sure the products they make are used by literally EVERYONE??

Your idea of separation, is as hysterical as it gets.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

a reply to: ThichHeaded

Your welcome.

The bee issue is very huge in my area because of all the orchards in the valley I live in.

I know user knoledgeispower and she has posted some really great stuff about gmo's & pesticides. ((well more than just those subjects)) She is also the one who taught me about all this stuff and introduced me to ATS a couple years back. She also encouraged me to finally join the community so I can take part in discussions and pick more peoples brains.

To me it sounds like the issue is the people at the valley you live in embraced the Green Revolution with both hands and held on tight. They most likely destroyed the natural ecology in the valley and replaced it with monocropped orchards, which may or may not use chemicals depending on the person.

After altering the Earth and using rather unnatural ways to commercially farm the produce (for profit), they sit back and wonder what went wrong... hmm... If there were no commercial orchards, there probably wouldn't "bee" an issue.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I'm still on topic as we've already established that Monsanto uses pesticides & GMO has been approved by the FDA.
The topic is inadequate testing of food crops for pesticides. Monsanto does not produce food crops.

You had nothing to counter what I said so you bailed on the topic.
You started talking about GMOs. GMOs are not the topic.

That's ok, you seem to be completely ignorant to Monsanto
No. I seem to know a bit more about it than you do, actually. That could be because I look at more than one side of things.

I'm going to stop here
OK.

Sorry to jump in here.

You may in fact know more about this subject then others; however, you never seem to support your fiat statements with any references or sources.

I won't doubt your statements but neither will I believe them without backup.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I won't doubt your statements but neither will I believe them without backup.

Fair enough. I've been through these same statements so many times I forget that they are new to some. What statements would you like me to back up? That there is inadequate testing for pesticides by the FDA?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I owe you an apology - you did post a few references in this thread, I didn't follow up on them and probably won't.

You are skilled at diversion, I'll grant but it's a fairly passive/agreesive tactic (as is this statement of mine).

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

You are skilled at diversion,

Diversion?
I'm not the one who has been bringing up Monsanto and GMOs in a thread about inadequate pesticide testing.

If you consider subtle (perhaps too subtle for my audience) attempts to encourage actual thought rather than regurgitation (following links might help) to be passive aggressive, well, I guess it is too subtle.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

For decades there have been orchards and farms in this valley. The ground here is perfect for orchards, farms & wineries. The people here know what they are doing and have not destroyed the natural ecology in the valley. This is B.C we are talking about here, we preserve nature, not rape it. There are several different protected wetlands in my town and I know there are many more within this valley. We have people always working to make sure we are doing the best to protect our wetlands.

Due to the fact that the orchards have been operating for decades, they still use the same procedures they did back when they first opened. Everything is hand picked and although pesticides are used in some of the orchards, the bee problem would have been noticed in an area like this long before anywhere else, if pesticide use were strictly to blame for the bee population decline.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join