It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

App Design Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I have an idea for an app but no idea how to start.

I have the perfect Domain, Concept etc but the main questions I have are:

1. My concept will use existing businesses that customers want to find. Let's say a certain type of food. How would I incorporate these locations in the app? One by one manually or is there a way to access and incorporate these locations en masse? 10's of 1,000's is my guess. Perhaps a free map?

2. I have located numerous free app online builders but is there a company you might know of that can take a concept from start to finish for a back end slice if they believe in the concept?

These are all the questions I have right now as I don't know which others I might need to ask yet.

Thanx

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
spend some time refining your idea, ask yourself what you want from it etc also start to think about styles/colours etc, the best web design tool is a pen and a pad of paper as if you don't know what the hell you want how the hell is someone supposed to code it?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
spend some time refining your idea, ask yourself what you want from it etc also start to think about styles/colours etc, the best web design tool is a pen and a pad of paper as if you don't know what the hell you want how the hell is someone supposed to code it?

Thanks,

Have that all laid out as mentioned in the OP. An actual Domain to back it up as well as the concept. Services, pics, maps, VIDS, membership, etc. Also have the shopping cart and pay pal linked to Social Media. When I come to a thought on BitCoin, I'll be back...

Just need help on how to start.

Free online app builder platforms vs purchased or an actual human builder pros/cons plus leads would help. These are the only issues I need help with at the moment.

Thanx

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I would consider a server side script in PHP to search an existing database and use googles API to lay it out on google maps with markers. There is a database for just about anything on the net, and be sure to include a rating system for users, with reviews.

Let us know how it works out.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Beware of those online builders, they will compile a - phone home - line of code into your app. If your looking at android google supply an sdk for free, and there's lots of free source code you can use. Get the Eclipse version.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Beware of those online builders, they will compile a - phone home - line of code into your app. If your looking at android google supply an sdk for free, and there's lots of free source code you can use. Get the Eclipse version.

This is advice I need.

I've been looking at the eclipse version mainly because it sounds user friendly. But then I came across this:

"If you're a new Android developer, you should consider starting with Android Studio, because the ADT plugin for Eclipse is no longer in active development."

Any experience with Android Studio?

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

I would consider a server side script in PHP to search an existing database and use googles API to lay it out on google maps with markers. There is a database for just about anything on the net, and be sure to include a rating system for users, with reviews.

I thought to look that way at first because I just knew there was something out there for us lazy folks. The net has been around too long to not have any code or tools I need to "borrow".

Thanks for that.

Also, Everyone on ATS will get an invite if I can get thru this. We all eat.

Peace

edit on 8-11-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

All the big boys like Google and Facebook offer really impressive developer APIs, and they are great platforms to build on. Do you have your Google developer account set up and have you really looked over what they have to offer in terms of API? They've laid down a really impressive framework of infrastructure. It will take hard work and weeks of inquiry to really take it all in, but my opinion is its very much worth it.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tridentblue

All the big boys like Google and Facebook offer really impressive developer APIs, and they are great platforms to build on. Do you have your Google developer account set up and have you really looked over what they have to offer in terms of API? They've laid down a really impressive framework of infrastructure. It will take hard work and weeks of inquiry to really take it all in, but my opinion is its very much worth it.

Yes I have the Developer account but haven't gone into it too much as of yet.

Big learning curve as the last time I was into writing it was html, some CGI etc. I was raised on DOS tho. But alas not helpful.

Peace

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

I thought to look that way at first because I just knew there was something out there for us lazy folks. The net has been around too long to not have any code or tools I need to "borrow".

Thanks for that.

Peace

Hot scripts is a popular site for PHP scripts, PHP has been around for a long time and very secure, it was designed to communicate with msql database. This is a big undertaking to learn this code and integrate it into a web page with HTML, CSS and read a database usually on another server. I "assume" you're trying to do something technically the same as a travel site. It should be interesting. Good luck on your endeavor, I hope it works out and you provide a great service and make some money at the same time.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

One thing that's really worth getting to know is JSON. Its pretty strait forward, and Google is using it for more and more of their web services.

Peace!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Thanks for that.

Peace

Hot scripts is a popular site for PHP scripts, PHP has been around for a long time and very secure, it was designed to communicate with msql database. This is a big undertaking to learn this code and integrate it into a web page with HTML, CSS and read a database usually on another server. I "assume" you're trying to do something technically the same as a travel site. It should be interesting. Good luck on your endeavor, I hope it works out and you provide a great service and make some money at the same time.

Thanks,

It'll take awhile that's for sure.

I'll let ATS know when I get it finished.

Peace

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: tridentblue

One thing that's really worth getting to know is JSON. Its pretty strait forward, and Google is using it for more and more of their web services.

Peace!

Something more to research...gee thanks...

My head hurts.

Peace

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Do you have any experince writing code?
If not I'd go along with Marlingrace on the php idea.
PHP is a lot easier and can be done in notepad, and being as it would all be serverside it should work on any device that can open your webpage

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Do you have any experince writing code?
If not I'd go along with Marlingrace on the php idea.
PHP is a lot easier and can be done in notepad, and being as it would all be serverside it should work on any device that can open your webpage

No exp writing code. Some understanding of how to recognize source and borrow it if I need it for a site but that's it.

Yup, big learning curve ahead so I'm going with whatever advice seems the simplest at the moment.

Thanx

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It's doesn't seem a popular approach, but you might consider a "hybrid app" - something like a PhoneGap product.

You can start by building the interface as a web site, then migrate that to a mobile app, and when your product is actually making you money, you can write (hire someone to write) device-specific applications.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: theGleep
It's doesn't seem a popular approach, but you might consider a "hybrid app" - something like a PhoneGap product.

You can start by building the interface as a web site, then migrate that to a mobile app, and when your product is actually making you money, you can write (hire someone to write) device-specific applications.

I've thought of that approach.

Seeing the learning curve I'm up against it might be the best approach.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
You're welcome...let me know if you need help with the learning-curve.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

first things, understand the difference in data types, what is an integer and an unsigned integer and the different sizes of them so when dealing with numbers you won't go 'overboard' and cause the app to suddenly go from a +999999 to a - 999997 when doing something with a number etc, understand also stuff like what a string is in relation to a character and some basics of boolean logic and your coding will immediately improve when developing stuff as you'll understand the little things that can easily cause you trouble and can be a right royal (presidental in the US) pain in the arse trying to work it out why sometimes things just don't work the way you want them to

then theres the more normal things such as loops and remembering to initialize variables etc as well, but the best advice i've found is a couple of beers is very good for allowing the coding to flow, but don't go beyond it

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Follow this Steps:

Step 1: Get an idea or a problem.
Step 2: Identify the need.
Step 3: Lay out the flow and features.
Step 4: Remove non-core features.
Step 5: Put design first.
Step 6: Hire a designer/developer.
Step 7: Create developer accounts.
Step 8: Integrate analytic.
Step 9: Get feedback quickly and improvise.
Step 10: Introduce features.

Link removed, see your inbox
edit on Jul 14th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join