It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 States now have complete Republican control

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The senate majority fight has claimed most of the news stories this week, rightly.

Less talked about is the new level of Republican control at a State level. 23 States now have the Governorships and both chambers in Republican control. Many other states have a larger republican influence as well.

As the prerequisite 'finding common ground' rhetoric is over, Obama's reassertion of an E.O. on immigration and responses of defunding any such E.O. in response by Republicans shows the muskets are being loaded, lines in the sand drawn and super gridlock is likely..

Does this open the door for unilateral action by States to nullify/block/abandon Federal programs and laws?

Some states have disassociated from common core, Obamacare and outright nullification of Federal gun control laws before this election cycle.

With control of both house in Republican hands is the door open for individual states to ramp up nullification and other acts knowing they will be backed/support by congress?

Is this a potential tactic that could break a Federal gridlock and lessen federal controls over individual state rights issues?

Would any Obama retaliatory move be blocked by Congress?

I'm largely shooting in the dark on this one so any feedback would be appreciated..

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

If we're lucky, the big thing it means is that two years from now, when all the idiots who voted for Republicans as an anti-Obama vote realize not only will things not change, but they'll be even worse, that the Two Party-One Coin system will die, die, die, a permanent death and no one will ever vote Republican OR Democrat ever again.

And would someone PLEASE TELL ME why ANYONE would vote to look at Mitch McConnell's face for another couple years???

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
My fear is that the Republican-controlled states will not concentrate on fiscal matters or issues pertaining to individual liberties, they will use their majority to go after social issues. Such as gay marriage and abortion.

I can only hope they put their money where their mouth is and go to work on real issues that need addressed.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I expect most or all of these legislative bodies will vote themselves raises and better retirement packages, considering the backlash that will eventually come (2016, 2018) will see most or all incumbents being sent home by the electorate.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

Your scenario is probable, IMO. Not a lock, however.

As far as Mitch goes, he WILL get the votes as most of the new Senators were backed by the Republican Establishment.
The majority of the republican leadership's time before this election cycle was spent blocking Tea Party candidates, not on any platform to counter Obama.

I believe this is the Republican Party's last chance to evolve and incorporate the Tea Party or it will go the route of the Whigs...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

That is a concern. Those issues should be decided at a State level, not a Federal level, IMO.

But until that swings back, federally, it's largely spitting upwind.

Those are secondary issues from the sense that food on the table, jobs and future are even more important in most people's views.

'Activist' mentality is what has done in the Democrats. If those Republicans in control of those States go activist, they will suffer the same fate....

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
As a resident of Ohio I can tell you that the Republicans were put back in power due to the excellent job they have done with our state government. I don't like one of the Republicans at the state level due to his anti-gun stance, but since his Democratic opponent was also anti-gun it was a wash.
edit on 2014/11/8 by Metallicus because: fix

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

And would someone PLEASE TELL ME why ANYONE would vote to look at Mitch McConnell's face for another couple years???

Because they were tired of looking at Harry Reid's face.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

This is a crucial point in time for the Republican party. I happen to rub elbows with some people that are deep within my state's GOP organization and there is a large portion of the Republican party that are fed up with the same-ole BS coming out of the party.

If these guys don't do what they have campaigned on, such as smaller government and spending, you will see a chunk of the Republican party push their support to the Libertarian ticket. Then the Republicans are screwed.

Not all Republicans are the stereotypical anti-obama wannabe conservative trash talkers. Many are REAL conservatives and are not sucked in by the propaganda. They are watching carefully and want results. If not.......well, this is going to be an interesting election in 2016.

edit on 11/8/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm afraid.

Because, as we all know, republicans are evil face-eating zombies from the planet Hate.

I think they will probably start killing people in the streets next week with their evil "guns".

Anyone who survives that will starve to death because the republicans will deny them access to food or shelter.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I find it funny that people still use the words democrat and republican as if they mean different things.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

A great thing about Republicans controlling everything is that I don't have to hear about how the government is going to take away all the guns now.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington
a reply to: beezzer

A great thing about Republicans controlling everything is that I don't have to hear about how the government is going to take away all the guns now.

That's because we'll all be dead!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I'm afraid.

Because, as we all know, republicans are evil face-eating zombies from the planet Hate.

I think they will probably start killing people in the streets next week with their evil "guns".

Anyone who survives that will starve to death because the republicans will deny them access to food or shelter.

Well, I don't think that the republicans want to eat faces or starve us to death....but I think many of them are zombies.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
1. Nullification is a unsubstantiated, unconstitutional theory. It does not exist outside the minds of States Rights extremists.

2. As the REDMAP effort to gerrymander districts and capture State legislatures has been gaining ground for four years now, there is little surprise that the Republicans picked up seats in a Midterm year.

3. Regardless of these facts, I am excited to see what the Republicans will do. I'm looking forward to the Impeachment sideshow, both Chambers creating the permanent Joint Committee on Benghazi so that our grandchildren can also know what it's like to investigate Benghazi, the Federal Marriage Protection Act, the USA Belongs to Jesus Act, the We Stand Ready Compulsory Gun Carry Act (because the Constitution, ya know, doesn't SAY you don't have to carry a weapon) etc.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

The only point I differ is moving to the Libertarian ticket.

This may offend, but, this mid-term did nothing to enhance the Libertarian image. They did little against Obama-not unlike the republican Establishment-unlike the Tea Party, and frankly haven't articulated much on their agenda.

Personally, I see the well intentioned people who started the movement now infested with Secular Humanists, Anarchists and droves of Marijuana Party members.

Not a batch I'd want running ANYTHING I'm connected to.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Good point, but I don't think the Libertarians had as much exposure as the two major parties.

As far as Republicans jumping on to the libertarian ticket, I am just passing along what I have heard in many discussions. If former republicans did join that party, they could help it become more organized and there would be a lot of money available to boost their public outreach.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Wait a minute! I thought the Constitution was a 'living, breath, evolving document.'

I see the Dems have done nothing to gainsay nullification , either.

Apparently, it exists in some State Constitutions as well.

Unless expressly forbidden in the Constitution, it isn't unconstitutional either, is it.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
" 23 States now have complete Republican control "

The mass devastation of the Democrat Party.

A 10 year recovery plan is forced.

2016 is too soon to undo the damage.

Major high profile Democrats have no choice now but to either switch parties or resign.

This includes Obama especially.

Their entire agenda has been exposed and crippled.

Nothing left.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Seriously, unsubstantiated or not. If it gets debated federally, it would be rebutted with the violation of the 10 th that most of the nullifications address.

The debate would not resolve.

There is no doubt that the Republicans would support less federal powers and therefore even the nullification issue 'gridlocks'.

That's part of the equation that makes this possibility viable.

As far as impeachment goes, unless Obama gets way out of hand and forces sitting Democrats to support impeachment, if for no other reason than personal survival, politically, then that also 'gridlocks'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join