It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living Double Lives - A Video About Social Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Thankfully, I have made it this far in life without taking a single selfie or felt the need to instagram what I ate for dinner. This video highlights everything wrong with social media. Sadly, there are millions more like him yearning for acceptance and validation. Silly rabbit, egos are for kids. Shed your skin and reach deep into your soul. Social media is not designed to be honest and half the people that like you probably don't.

I encourage anyone who frequents the social media scene to "turn on, tune in, drop out. In other words, look within yourself and learn to validate your own thoughts. Friends aren't always the best people for advice and social media is the LAST place anyone should go to form an opinion, especially about yourself.

Take your shoes off...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

hilarious video...i quit years ago...i actually enjoyed facebook when I was younger but as i got older most of my friends got married and i stayed single...where this went awful was several...not one...several of their wives got flirty over facebook with me...not cause im amazing but because they were bored. Social Media is an instant outlet for boredom and people who need attention. When I closed everything down it took about 48 hours before I didn't miss it. I will never go back..and although im not updated on everyone's lives any more I find that when I do see people we have so much more to talk about.

And for any of your married folk or people in a serious relationship....youd be amazed if you knew what was in your signifiicant other's chat messages....if they aint deleted!
edit on 8-11-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

hilarious video...i quit years ago...i actually enjoyed facebook when I was younger but as i got older most of my friends got married and i stayed single...where this went awful was several...not one...several of their wives got flirty over facebook with me...not cause im amazing but because they were bored. Social Media is an instant outlet for boredom and people who need attention. When I closed everything down it took about 48 hours before I didn't miss it. I will never go back..and although im not updated on everyone's lives any more I find that when I do see people we have so much more to talk about.

And for any of your married folk or people in a serious relationship....youd be amazed if you knew what was in your signifiicant other's chat messages....if they aint deleted!

Good for you, ladies man! You would think leaving Facebook and Twitter for some is worse than quitting cigarettes. The trick is never to start!

The only time I used Facebook (using a fake name), was to track down our old bassist who moved to California. We were lucky enough to make one professionally recorded and mastered CD and I lost it. Thankfully, I go it back.

Go Facebook! I swear man, I only tried it once and never inhaled.

edit on 8-11-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Would you consider ATS a form of social media? A place to meet people (U2U) and to validate your thoughts and opinions (Stars and Flags)?

It's an entirely different format, has a smaller membership and is intended for different social purposes, but the methods members use are similar. We post pictures here, funny quotes, share our opinions and even meet other people IRL.

You say half the people are not honest. That means the other half are. It's not all bad, and if it is, it's operator error.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple

Would you consider ATS a form of social media? A place to meet people (U2U) and to validate your thoughts and opinions (Stars and Flags)?

It's an entirely different format, has a smaller membership and is intended for different social purposes, but the methods members use are similar. We post pictures here, funny quotes, share our opinions and even meet other people IRL.

You say half the people are not honest. That means the other half are. It's not all bad, and if it is, it's operator error.

I actually wrote that in what I was originally going to post. I was typing, "I have never joined a social media website..." and stopped, realizing that I was typing on one at the moment.

They are drastically different forms of social media but the collective mindset still exists. I come here for one reason, two heads are better than one. I can have one physical perspective and as many virtual perspectives that I can come up with inducing a controlled form of multiple personalities. Sometimes you need someone at just the right angle to point out what you cant see. People here are certainly good at that. Normally, I believe nothing but entertain everything. Play with it in your mind until it breaks.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

I think that sums it up nicely.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Facebook has great value. I couldn't live without it. Under a fake name, with no friends, attached to a never used email address I can get free lollipop hammers for Candy Crush. Without access to lollipop hammers I'm afraid Facebook would be meaningless.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

very good point indeed...i do consider ats social media but you can be much more discreet and what orginally started as me getting various news has turned into me trying to be slightly social on here...i don t think the majority of us our here for that...there is usually 5 people in chat and ive made maybe 2 friends over the years on here that i still actually have some contact with

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I exist to be social media's thorn in its side. My reward? Pretty sure I've been fairly compartmentalized for it. That's okay though because I exist to be social media's thorn in its side and if I'm being compartmentalized, I'm winning!

LOL

True on the opinion thing. I, being the thorn in social media's side, once thoroughly crushed a huge debate on a political hot topic by simply pointing out the uselessness of it being discussed with such severity on something like facebook as if it matters. I'd also hazard that many of the "friends" on facebook lists are not friends really at all. If you sit there and report something personally tragic that happened, it's amazing how many cookie cutter responses of "you're in my prayers!" there are. No solutions, no advice, no nothing. Not even an offer to come over with a bundt cake...

Facebook--the anti-social social media.

top topics

join