It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want my fricking incandescent bulbs back!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Just buy halogen light bulbs. The color is not very different, they last longer, they are bright and they don't even cost so much. Also, they are safe for the environment. The downside is that they are incredibly hot and cause glare. They are banned soon anyway.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
a reply to: the owlbear

Weird..
not so here in northern indiana.
What state are you in?

PA.
Maybe it's just this quiet little corner. Things are very unique here.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to:

Halogens look the best, but LED lights are pretty close and they use almost no energy, often less than fluorescent.
18639702">nOraKat

I will also chime in on the LEDs. I just bought a couple yesterday because I saw them on sale and they look great. If they last anywhere close to the 22.8 years that's claimed on the packaging then they are well worth the price.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Someone needs to start a movement to ban the light bulbs that contain mercury.

They are truly and honestly dangerous.

We had a friend with 2 small children and one broke in their house. They had to replace the carpet (huge expense for a young family on a budget) Also, the hubby (a NASA person) got a hazmat suit to clean it up.

Why does our government think energy savings is more important than a light bulb that can kill you if broken.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Mostly because GE is the main manufacturer, or was, of CFLs, and they lobbied for the bans on incandescents. Now that you can sell incandescents, most of the small manufacturers are out of business, and guess who has filled the gap? GE.

GE should have been taxed on a lot of things, but they somehow used their clout/deductions to pay no domestic corporate tax. Their CEO is on Obama's jobs panel (how's that been working out). They also make money on corporate subsidies.

In short, they are the epitome of a state corporate crony. I don't care how many GE bulbs are on my store's shelves, I'm not buying them.

The saddest thing is that it was bi-partisan with Bush signing it, but it hasn't gotten any better under Obama.

edit on 8-11-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Not to be a smarta**, but get yourself a nice powerful flashlight.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I went and stocked up on incandescent bulbs when I heard they were fazing them out. Funny, brand name or cheap, they last about 2 months, scam? I think so.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I just replaced almost all my light bulbs with LEDs since all the bastards went out at about the same time. The energy company was giving a kickback at the register and also a mail in rebate. I think they look great personally. I also like that they don't get hot.

Really the only difference I can see is in the kitchen where I have this ridiculous recessed ceiling and track lights. Not quite as warm with the floods there, but all the others seem the same.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

What a coincidence, I just bought my first LED light bulbs today. I was getting tired of my florescent bulbs burning out in our kitchen fan light, I've heard you shorten the life of florescent bulbs when you turn them off and on during short time spans.

I bought 4 LED bulbs at Lowes because it was the lowest price on LCD 40 watt bulbs I've seen around (6.75 ea). Wife says they're too bright, and they make our beige range look white
. I'm curios to see how long these bulbs last.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

And that's a coincidence also, I just bought 2 LED bulbs from Lowes yesterday because I saw that they were $6.75 on sale and I thought I'd try them out. I think they're great. They look good and I would expect them to last for a very long time. No more of those fluorescent bulbs for me!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Switched to LED's last year. $7.98 apiece at Sam's club. Between that and putting all electronics on powers trips I could shut off my electric bill dropped to between $42 & $71 per month. I agree the light is brighter than I'd anticipated, but we tweaked the color of the lampshades ( went a little darker).

One year into the switch I couldn't be happier. I'm no longer the light switch police!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I think they are going to work well, I couldn't really tell the difference with an incandescent bulb in one end table lamp and an LED bulb in the other. To me they look so much the same that I can't complain about it. If they last as long as advertised they are well worth the price.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
Switched to LED's last year. $7.98 apiece at Sam's club. Between that and putting all electronics on powers trips I could shut off my electric bill dropped to between $42 & $71 per month. I agree the light is brighter than I'd anticipated, but we tweaked the color of the lampshades ( went a little darker).

One year into the switch I couldn't be happier. I'm no longer the light switch police!

Honestly, I don't think turning off power strips makes THAT much of a difference. I used to do that, and I used all CFLs, but my light bill was about $100-175 per month, depending on the weather (heater /air conditioner...)

Now I have switched a few lights to LEDs, some of them are halogen, and I did a big remodel that included much better insulation and I don't worry about turning off power strips/unplugging phone chargers anymore. Now the highest electric bill I've gotten was about $75.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Aaaahhhh!

I hate these stupid fluorescent bulbs.
I have a storeroom in the back of my business and I don't heat the room. I go in there today to find some walnut planks I will need on monday. When I flip on the lights.....I get a dim yellowish glow..ugg.

The temperature is about 45 degrees in the room so these stupid lights need to warm up before they put out good light. Ten minutes later I can kinda see what I'm doing. Well as of now I have good old 100 watt incandescent bulbs in there. Well what do you know, instant light.

I'm glad I grabbed 10 box's of 100 Watters when I had the chance.

Man I need some coffee...

Sorry for the rant, I needed to get it out before it festered...

Yep a lot of people cannot fathom the need for a bulb that lights up instantly and creates heat at the same time........
That is unless your working in a unheated room or garage that just happens to be in the Northern Hemisphere.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: watchitburn

All fluorescent lights flicker. I am photosensitive. If the flicker gets to the wrong frequency, it can trigger the mother of all migraines. Even if the flicker doesn't get to the wrong frequency, when I get a migraine for other reasons, it's hard on my eyes and exacerbates the already existing migraine making it get worse faster.

That's why I bitch about them.

They make my life more difficult, so I wasn't pleased with being told I was going to have to have either them or much more expensive LEDs when cheaper incandescents were just fine.

Some fluorescent bulbs give me an instant migrane the minute they come on.
Others don't bother me. Same thing with some LEDs.

Same here. I replaced my flood lights in my kitchen and they aren't so good for me. The ones I have in my living room are fine though.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I hate the newer type of bulbs too,they take a small while to "warm up" by the looks of it,till then there's just that ghastly eerie illumination.makes me think of old mortuaries and unspeakable deeds,quite frankly.I have too much imagination for my own good,I guess:-) But whenever I need to enter the en-suite bathroom at night,I switch on the light about 2 minutes before I open the door.Something depressing about the quality of that light,till it stabilises.We use the old ones,mostly,and I like to use candles at night,or lamplight.Overhead lighting usually has a quality I don't care for.

Apparently there's concerns about their impact on one's health too,and while I don't worry about that,as we don't have so much exposure to them,some folks may not like them for this reason too.
www.npr.org... reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

I don't like them for all those reasons, and have you noticed that they glow very dimly after you turn them off for a while. That looks kind of creepy too. I don't like them at all. The LED lights on the other hand are awesome. I will definitely be replacing mine soon with them. They look good and last for decades. The price isn't that bad either for what you get (If you catch them on sale).

edit on 11/13/2014 by wtbengineer because: to add

top topics

<< 1   >>

join