It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alex Salmond effigy was blown up in Lewes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

An effigy of Alex Salmond was blown up during bonfire celebrations in Lewes despite assurances that it would not be burned, it has emerged. About 40,000 people were at this year's Lewes bonfire celebrations - 10,000 more than last year, police have said.

Alex Salmond effigy was blown up in Lewes

First off when i heard this i was kinda shocked, but reading more about the Lewes bonfire celebrations i'm cool with it. it's about people having a well organised celebration and a coming together as a community and having fun, something lacking in today's society.

Alex himself was cool with it so no harm done.
what i found to be a bit awkward was the No Popery stuff. Maybe next year they should start with a "No Allahery" banner and burn a effigy of Allah...lets see how the local council and Government and police deal with that. I'm all for it.

Anyway...Go the people of lewes for not giving a Rats arse even though some of the images are a wee bit KKK.

Seems like they dont give a toss who they offend. Well done.

edit on 8-11-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-11-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Maybe you should explain who Alex Salmond is for everyone who has never heard of him.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Maybe you should explain who Alex Salmond is for everyone who has never heard of him.

Good shout...

Alex Salmond

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Some people are bloody stupid. I'll leave it that

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Some people are bloody stupid. I'll leave it that

Some people are bloody stupid yes, but when we have political correctness shoved down our throats on a daily basis i take my hat off to the people of Lewes for not giving a $#%t.

As i said the No Popery thing is a bit naughty because it attacks religion, but what the hell, we all need to chill out and stop being offended so easily.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Catholics.....the UK's largest and in recent times most loyal minority......and the only one openly discriminated against.

Salmond showed a level of common sense and humour I'd previously thought he was incapable of.....he's gone up in my estimation, slightly.

They've burnt effigy's of all sorts of people in Lewes, no-one is sacred....as it should be.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Catholics.....the UK's largest and in recent times most loyal minority......and the only one openly discriminated against.

Salmond showed a level of common sense and humour I'd previously thought he was incapable of.....he's gone up in my estimation, slightly.

They've burnt effigy's of all sorts of people in Lewes, no-one is sacred....as it should be.

I thought the fireworks shooting from his nipples was awesome.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

And don't tell me you Scots wouldn't do the same to an effigy of Dave Cameron ... come to think of it most English would.

It's just a bit of fun after what was a pretty fractious referendum year.

ETA

Go the people of lewes for not giving a Rats arse even though some of the images are a wee bit KKK.

Apparently the burning Cross has it's origins with the Scots !

In Scotland, the fiery cross, known as the Crann Tara, was used as a declaration of war. The sight of it commanded all clan members to rally to the defense of the area. On other occasions, a small burning cross would be carried from town to town. It was used as recently as the War of 1812 to mobilise the Scottish Fencibles and militia settled in Glengarry County, Ontario against the invaders,[1] and in 1820 over 800 fighting men of Clan Grant were gathered, by the passing of the Fiery Cross, to come to the aid of their Clan Lord and his sister in the village of Elgin
en.wikipedia.org...

Looks like you're at war with the people of Lewes.
You learn something new everyday on this site.

edit on 8-11-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
I love this place for the very same reasons....thanks for the post. I knew of the Clan/Klan relationship. The fiery Cross now makes sense...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

And don't tell me you Scots wouldn't do the same to an effigy of Dave Cameron ...

Looks like you're at war with the people of Lewes.

If you read my post i'm in favour of the people of lewes, as for David Cameron, i would rather torch the real thing.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

If you read my post i'm in favour of the people of lewes, as for David Cameron, i would rather torch the real thing.

I know mate just having a bit of fun , only six months to go until Cam is either an unpleasant memory or a reason to head of to Europe for the next 5 years.

edit on 8-11-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
... as for David Cameron, i would rather torch the real thing.

People complained about the burning of Salmond, which is why he was blown up instead.

They burned Cameron and Clegg in 2010. People who are offended by this type of harmless tradition - which includes, I believe burning an effigy of the Pope and of course Guy Fawkes, need to relax. The night starts with a parade of burning crosses commemorate the burning to death of 17 Protestant Martyrs by (ahem) Catholics, in the town. Luckily the UK moved on from that type of religious intolerance a few hundred years ago, unlike some parts of the Middle East!

This year they also burned Putin , who looked very gay in a green mankini. Last year it was Assad and his fellow dictator Kim Jon-Un. Previous years have included notable effigies of Angela Merkel (doing a Hitler salute), that nut-job Gaddafi, Bush, Blair and so on.

At my villages bonfire night, it was just a Guy.

Regards

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I wonder how it would go down if they torched an effigy of the royals.

I think they should make a symbolic effigy of all the corrupt institutions and burn it. Of course not in a light hearted sense but as more of a real statement of discontent.

They should make one of Britton.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

This year they also burned Putin , who looked very gay in a green mankini. Last year it was Assad and his fellow dictator Kim Jon-Un. Previous years have included notable effigies of Angela Merkel (doing a Hitler salute), that nut-job Gaddafi, Bush, Blair and so on.

Regards

Would they burn Allah though or have they set themselves limits...??
Have they ever burned Hindley and Brady, Jimmy Saville, the yorkshire ripper, people of that ilk.?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Regards

At my villages bonfire night, it was just a couch and some pallets.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Allah is just another word for god SNIP
edit on 11/8/2014 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

(post by Soloprotocol removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

(post by Soloprotocol removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Still bitter about the No vote? So am I. Was hoping you parasites would sod off finally.
edit on 8-11-2014 by DPrice because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join