It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘ISIS Sees Turkey as Its Ally': Former Islamic State Member Reveals Turkish Army Cooperation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

A reluctant former communications technician working for Islamic State, going by the pseudonym ‘Sherko Omer’, who managed to escape the group, told Newsweek that he travelled in a convoy of trucks as part of an ISIS unit from their stronghold in Raqqa, across Turkish border, through Turkey and then back across the border to attack Syrian Kurds in the city of Serekaniye in northern Syria in February, in order to bypass their defences.

‘ISIS Sees Turkey as Its Ally': Former Islamic State Member Reveals Turkish Army Cooperation

Holy #. I never saw this coming.

We have known for a while now that something is up between Turkey and ISIS. ISIS fighters in Syria have official exit stamps on their passports, indicating that they had officially crossed the Turkish border. ISIS supporters have been seen in public in Turkey. Hell, Turkey was able to somehow, miraculously, secure the release of its nationals without providing anything material in return.

Now we have these statements by ‘Sherko Omer’, who claims to have knowledge of ISIS/Turkish cooperation.

He claims to have connected ISIS leaders with Turkish officials:

“I have connected ISIS field captains and commanders from Syria with people in Turkey on innumerable occasions,” said Omer.

“I rarely heard them speak in Arabic, and that was only when they talked to their own recruiters, otherwise, they mostly spoke in Turkish because the people they talked to were Turkish officials of some sorts because ISIS guys used to be very serious when they talked to them.”

He further states that Turkey has, on numerous occasions, allowed ISIS safe passage through its lands as they advanced towards Kurdish positions:

“ISIS commanders told us to fear nothing at all because there was full cooperation with the Turks,” said Omer of crossing the border into Turkey, “and they reassured us that nothing will happen, especially when that is how they regularly travel from Raqqa and Aleppo to the Kurdish areas further northeast of Syria because it was impossible to travel through Syria as YPG controlled most parts of the Kurdish region.”

Omer further explains that he was in a battalion tasked with fighting Kurds in Serekaniya. The battalion, he claims, was offered safe passage and rest at safehouses. They even crossed the border back into Syria without harm:

“While we tried to cross the Ceylanpinar border post, the Turkish soldiers' watchtower light spotted us. The commander quickly told us to stay calm, stay in position and not to look at the light. He talked on the radio in Turkish again and we stayed in our positions. Watchtower light then moved about 10 minutes later and the commander ordered us to move because the watchtower light moving away from us was the signal that we could safely cross the border into Serekaniye."

And if the above incidents aren't enough, Omer claims that ISIS viewed Turkey as a key ally:

Omer explained that during his time with ISIS, Turkey had been seen as an ally against the Kurds. “ISIS saw the Turkish army as its ally especially when it came to attacking the Kurds in Syria. The Kurds were the common enemy for both ISIS and Turkey. Also, ISIS had to be a Turkish ally because only through Turkey they were able to deploy ISIS fighters to northern parts of the Kurdish cities and towns in Syria.”

“ISIS and Turkey cooperate together on the ground on the basis that they have a common enemy to destroy, the Kurds,” he added.

I must say that if these claims are true, they wouldn't be surprising. Newsweek was unable to confirm his stories, but Omer was a communications technician who claims that many ISIS field commanders rarely spoke Arabic, instead opting to speak Turkish. He claims to have never joined ISIS under free will, rather saying that he was captured while travelling to join the FSA. He later found it difficult to leave ISIS' border camp, and was pretty much forced to sign up with ISIS. He surrendered to the Kurds in the aforementioned battle at Serekaniya. He has since been found innocent of any crime.

edit on 8-11-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Interesting info and not at all surprising. Let's go a little further shall we?

Turkey = NATO

*shrugs*

Oh the tangled webs we weave when we set out to deceive. When they're done with all this nonsense of mass murder can I have one of those Toyota Tundras? I could sure use one for work. At least it'd be used for constructive purposes.....ah why bother.

Huh, I wonder how that Ebola thing is doing?........

"SQUIRREL!"

*chases tail*

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
You can read too much into IS propaganda, else you might start believing they're nice chaps who enjoy a nice glass of wine down the opera.

It does not necessarily follow that Turkey is politically supportive of IS, even with Turkey's contentment (sadly) to see the Kurds weakened by IS, and perhaps some elements of Turkish military being supportive for this reason.

Turkey fears the mayhem spilling into their lands, including (it has to be said) any positive press and support of the Kurds, where there is a long history of animosity.

IS on the other hand is clearly being careful not to antagonise Turkey, who would be more than capable of flattening them given an excuse.

Regards

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

IS on the other hand is clearly being careful not to antagonise Turkey, who would be more than capable of flattening them given an excuse.

And yet, the great America is all up in arms against this massive threat. Funny, once Obama gave the green light for strikes in Syria, it wasn't ISIS at all. Imagine that.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
And yet, the great America is all up in arms against this massive threat. Funny, once Obama gave the green light for strikes in Syria, it wasn't ISIS at all. Imagine that.

? Not sure of your point, but Turkey is capable of making decisions as events unfold, although cynically they seem content to throw the Kurds to the wolves.

Regards

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Nothing new here. Turkey has a long genocidal history. Try getting them to admit it...

They want the kurds wiped out. If they gave a damn about ISIS they would be letting their own kurdish population through the border to fight ISIS, instead of ISIS fighters to fight the kurds.

They've been clandestinely doing this for a long time now, and supporting radical Syrian rebels in the process. Syria and Iraq wouldn't be half the mess they both are today without the help of Turkey.

They should be booted from NATO, imo.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The enemy of my enemy is my friend....sometimes. This is common deceitful practice that goes on all over the world. It is not only something that we see on TV shows. It is reality.

As soon as ISIS finishes lowering the threat against Turkey, Turkey will start fighting ISIS because ISIS will someday be a threat to Turkey. The US does this kind of thing all the time. Sometimes this is done off the record with money and supplies being allowed to be sent to the people doing the deeds. As long as there is no direct allowable evidence to show that this is happening, there is no proof that can be used against Turkey in a court of law. Things have to be done right, TPTB have made rules governing this practice. I am sure Turkey is following these rules.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
IS is a spent system that is looking for something to hold on to...when IS leadership visits Ankara and exchanges papers with their Foreign Minister for the camera...then the story begins.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Most people following the Mid East issues have known this from day one.

Turkey is supporting ISIS physically, but the financial backers havent been "outed" yet....including Saudi Arabia, Qatar, US, England and Israel.

Turkey should on this reported incidences be thrown out of NATO.....on principal.

But that would throw them harder towards ISIS. Turkey is strong both financially and militarily, and has Neo-Ottoman ambitions.

be interesting to see where they end up in all this mess, but if they are not careful, they'll end up in a worse position than anyone for trying to play both sides.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Melbourne_Militia

Unless they are doing it on the orders of Washington or at least their complicitly.

More evidence that ISIS is completely a western construct for geopolitical and domestic purposes.

Probably not though, the government said they are scary terrorists. They never lie.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If I may I want to reply a little off topic

Reading through the first opening statement, we know where the ISIS strong hold is and there was talk that the guy travelled in a convoy. So what on earth are the Brits US Canadian war planes only bombing the odd truck and bulldozer.
I'm sure western intelligence know exactly where they all hide out so why flap about bombing the odd Toyota pick up

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Can you do any better than that tired old rhetoric: "the government are liars"

Jesus if I had a cent overtime somebody posted that on here....

Turkey would in no way would do what they're doing with regards to ISIS and the Kurds "on orders from Washington", and a statement like yours belies a level of ignorance regarding the situation in Syria, and Turkey's relation to events there, that is becoming increasingly common on here.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Still going on about those trucks I see?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The coalition are carrying out limited airstrikes.

They are not committed to carrying out a full scale air-war on ISIS.

edit on 8-11-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

The current leader if Turkey has one thing in common with Isis, at the least, a near pathological hatred for the U.S..

Both hate the Kurds, all be it, for different reasons.

Both see a Caliphate as the ultimate goal..Turkey sees it as a resurrection of the Ottoman Empire.

Most of the other so-called mid-east allies in the 'fight' against Isis have, at the least, factions within that have and do support Isis.

This all adds up to not only not surprising, rather, predictable and typical mid-east gamesmanship.

A Pox on them all....

edit on 8-11-2014 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seabhac-rua
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The coalition are carrying out limited airstrikes.

They are not committed to carrying out a full scale air-war on ISIS.

Again sorry to drift off topic but isn't that the whole point of limited air strikes, take out the more important things ? Not the small targets which can be dealt with ground forces ?

It just makes me believe the strikes we have seen have just been for show

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seabhac-rua

Still going on about those trucks I see?

I covet things from time to time. Shame on me once, or twice it matters not to a fool.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

It just makes me believe the strikes we have seen have just been for show

Why don't you ask the Kurdish defenders of Kobani/Kobane if the airstrikes have been for show?

They owe their continued, if tenuous, hold on the besieged town to coalition airstrikes on ISIS.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

If I win the lottery I'll buy you one....from Syria....with a few bullet holes to add character.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

Hehe. If I had a cent for every time someone called someone ignorant on here I'd be richer than you. Plus the government are liars. It's an undeniable fact.

Someone stated they should be thrown out of NATO. Something tells me NATO and the US are fully aware of the situation. How do you know they aren't doing it on orders. Maybe they shared their issues and interests and were given a game plan to follow. This is far from impossible.

"Turkey would in no way would do what they're doing with regards to ISIS and the Kurds "on orders from Washington", and a statement like yours belies a level of ignorance regarding the situation in Syria, and Turkey's relation to events there, that is becoming increasingly common on here."

Turkey is most likely acting in self interest. The last thing they want is the Kurds winning and establishing their own state. This state by necessity would take territory away from Turkey. It would also by necessity be opposed to Turkey thanks to the years of Kurdish oppression. The PKK is already considered a terrorist organization, right or wrong, and did engage in militant action against Turkey.

In other words Turkey wants to see the Kurds destroyed or marginalized, not an independent nation of heroes who stopped terrorism and have Western backing.

I know plenty about Turkey and the Kurds and Syria and ISIS. My opinion is ISIS is a construct of the US. It's a valid opinion. No need to be so combative and insulting. You make yourself look ignorant, not me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join