It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Should Canadians Let Gay People Get Married

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I read this in the times on Friday, December 10, 2004

TORONTO (AP) -- Canada's Supreme Court ruled Thursday that gay marriage was constitutional, a landmark opinion allowing the federal government to call on Parliament to legalize same-sex unions nationwide
NY Times

For all the homosexual people on the site I am sure this is something you think about. I don't know if you are choosing a lifestyle or feel that a lifestyle has chosen you.

For all of you homosexual or advocates that feel you need to fight for 'equal rights' I am sure this is one of the issues you fight for most.

Do you feel this is a world we grow up in where we are able to change things deeply rooted in our societies in culture since we can remember? Homosexuality has been around since man, but marraiges between you haven't. Why change it now. I see no reason that a man and a man or a woman and a woman need ot fight for the right to marry. They should not have this right. No church will ever let you walk down the aisle. Why arn't civil unions good enough for you? Why do you have to have the holy sanctity of a union between a man and a woman for you too. It is beyond my comprehension.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by 00PS]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Take that wonderfully profound question of your and turn it round...

why shouln't they etc. etc. etc. I think you will come up with the same reasons.

Why do hetero (straight) couples need to get married? Oh 'coz some religious dude said so?
Real great reason there, so why protect hetero marriage like it's important or something.

The real reason is just for equality, and acceptance thats all. They want to feel all warm and fuzzy just like hetero couples on their wedding day.

[edit on 10/12/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Here's a link that doesn't require a subscription.

As for the basic issue: I can't make up my mind. I'm not religious, so it isn't that, but it seems somehow demeaning to "normal" man/woman couples. (I guess that's it: I think homosexuality is fine, OK, whatever-you-wanna-do, but not "normal".)

A compromise could be to give such couples all legal rights, just don't call it "marriage".

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Sorry folks, but this topic already exists on ATS and can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please post your thoughts and comments in the existing thread as this one will be closed.

Thanks
FredT

new topics

top topics

join