It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t Name Your Team After a Genocide!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This is what gets me, a lot of sports teams name's are after American Indian out of respect. Warrior's, Braves, Chiefs .ect .ext .ext.

They do it out of respect of the fighting spirit of the American Indians. The will and fighting spirit of American Indian's is something to be honored. With that I guess all the school's and rec. league's across the country will have to follow as well.

Would it be better to honor them with a name as that or just call them "those damn Indians" or should we get so politically correct that we just call them red team or blue team......... Can't do that either strawberries and grapes will get pissed off.
edit on 8-11-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

As a tall person I'm offended by the Giants ᤾!! This is so stupid!!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: rustydog

Yep people get their feelers hurt way to easy.

What would be better to be remembered as a people that fought against all odds or for a people that lost and at any point whyne and complain like a loosing political party.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent
This is what gets me, a lot of sports teams name's are after American Indian out of respect. Warrior's, Braves, Chiefs .ect .ext .ext.

They do it out of respect of the fighting spirit of the American Indians. The will and fighting spirit of American Indian's is something to be honored. With that I guess all the school's and rec. league's across the country will have to follow as well.

Would it be better to honor them with a name as that or just call them "those damn Indians" or should we get so politically correct that we just call them red team or blue team......... Can't do that either strawberries and grapes will get pissed off.

This is getting a bit out of hand. I agree with you on it being done out of respect. As far as I've read the majority of peoplecomplaing about this isn't the Indians its some how guilty feeling white people.

There's even a lawyer now calling for the dod to change the names of the Apache and other vehicles and that really was done out of respect for the warriors of the people.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
"Yep people get their feelers hurt way to easy. "

Ironic that the same people that complain about native Americans, blacks, gays, women needing to be less sensitive are the same people that act like they are being oppressed when this stuff gets brought up.

Sounds like you guys are just as butthurt as any minority and with far far less reason :\

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Jessie,

Your football jersey has the #23 on the back of it with "Stay Vigilant" contradiction in smoke and mirrors.

We need to talk face to face.

edit on 8-11-2014 by RedDorothy because: Because you're a Mousekeeter and I really, really like you!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This is a big issue? Just another distraction from the real issues at hand. During the Monday night game the owner of the team had Indians with him with Redskins hats on. All the team has to do is put potato's on their helmets and we can still call them redskins. Any credibility you once had is long gone.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

OPERATION HONEYMOON

"Bend over and grab your ankles on the White House lawn"

>>>> The lightening bolts you are taken away... I Hope you know what this MEANS !

edit on 8-11-2014 by RedDorothy because: Wonder what side you're all playing on because I'm thinking you're getting played by Anti-Oops

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Whatever, '"redskins" was always a derogatory term, a racial epithet. Unlike Chief which has been used for eons, and isn't derogatory, saying "redskin" is the same as calling a black person "'n-word'", an Italian a "Wop" etc. None of those terms were ever used to as a strong, proud, praise term. It's as derogatory as it gets and I don't understand why people don't get that.

"It is not a designation of status, like Chiefs or Braves.

It is, to some, a racial epithet, as in “those dirty redskins,” a reference to be found in a few Western films of a bygone era.

www.dallasnews.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesseVentura
“Dan Snyder, read a history book, don’t name your football team after a genocide.”

I take on Dan Snyder and the Washington football team once again. Having just marched against the team this past weekend with thousands of others, I believe this is a cause worth fighting for and I'm explaining why in this Ventura Declaration. Do you agree or disagree with me?

Back in the America 30-40's pro football and pro baseball were racist agencies.

The 1933 [NFL] season also marked the first of 13 seasons in which African Americans were prohibited from playing in the league. The ban was rescinded in 1947, following public pressure and the removal of a similar ban in Major League Baseball. Source en.wikipedia.org...

And so it was back in 1947 that due to public pressure the rules were changed to allow black players. If the same public pressure is applied to the Redskins then no doubt they will change their monicker to something more appropriate, like, for example, Washington Traitors or Washington Snake-oil Salesman! lol
edit on 11/8/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: add source

edit to add further:

I don't think calling out Dan Snyder as honoring a genocide is the best public relations strategy. However, pointing out that the NFL was racist in the 1930's and racist monickers were acceptible in the 1930's, you should emphasize NOT the genocide but emphasize how America has changed in the last 80 years. It's 2014 and America is no longer tolerant of racism.

Plus, Dan Snyder should pay reparations to the indians.
edit on 11/8/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: edit to add further

edit on 11/8/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: fix tags

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer

How about the Vikings Jess? Didn’t they commit genocide on Europe in their day? So why didn’t you protest against their name when you were governor?

There's a difference between the two still. The former was a victim of genocide, the latter a sometime perpetrator of it. Durr....Not to mention that "Viking" is not a slur in any way no matter how many Brits have said I should be ashamed of my "dirty barbarian roots". Vikings were known for being indomitable and fierce on the battlefield. Pretty darn good for a football team and well, Minnesota has a pretty good number of Norwegians living there. If the name fits, use it.

While Native Americans definitely had some fierce warriors, the use of "redskin" does not pay tribute to their fierceness in any way. It's simply a racial slur that many in the tribes are really not fond of and many of the wounds that were incurred upon them did not happen that long ago at all. Heck, my daughter's grandfather was beaten in a boarding school for being "red".

I never can understand why people have a penchant for pouring salt on wounds.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

What about the Cleveland Browns? This may be offensive to all brown-skinned people. They should change their name as well.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

But is not, maybe if they were the cleveland jiggaboos or spooks then you might have a point.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Sounds like you guys are just as butthurt as any minority and with far far less reason :\

You guys? What do you mean you guys. Is it the Cherokee in me or the cubin or the English or the german?
I like that big brush you paint with there Picasso.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rustydog

Watch Jon Stewart's skit on the Redskins and hopefully you can change your mind.

Redskin is a word associated with the Native American genocide here in the states.

Skin can be a synonym for kill in some contexts, this is one of them.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

But redskin was never, ever, used to describe the fighting spirit of a native.
It was always a derogatory term and then the token to collect your bounty.
You had to bring the 'redskin' and hair with you to collect.

No other name out there has anywhere close to the reputation as the others actually do describe warriors.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

Nah its the part of you that whines about other people whining.

Isn't saying no one should be offended painting with a big brush too?

Double hypocrisy bonus combo.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm half American Indian. I don't care what you call your team. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve nor am I going to give anyone the satisfaction. Pick your battle better. I think the trail of tears was the time for that. Everyone cries about every minute thing anymore. Where are all the men at in the god forsaken country? Man up and shut up.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The puritan Knights committed genocide on the Indians the most terrifying English force known I know because my grandfather was one of them Knights 3 Indian wars after the English civil

<< 1   >>

join