It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don’t Name Your Team After a Genocide!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
“Dan Snyder, read a history book, don’t name your football team after a genocide.”

I take on Dan Snyder and the Washington football team once again. Having just marched against the team this past weekend with thousands of others, I believe this is a cause worth fighting for and I'm explaining why in this Ventura Declaration. Do you agree or disagree with me?

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

How about the Vikings Jess? Didn’t they commit genocide on Europe in their day? So why didn’t you protest against their name when you were governor?

(post by AprilFooseball removed for a manners violation)
+11 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

How did they name their team after a genocide? If anything the name is a tribute. You name your team after something strong and proud. Something you respect. Not something you supposedly despise and look down on. There is nothing negative about the name. People have been told there is and that they should be offended. That's all.
edit on 11/8/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Personally, I find the name a bit cringe-worthy. I think the team will eventually have to bow to market pressure. I don't think this will happen in the near future, however.

I'm surprised that Chief Wahoo doesn't get the same level of media attention.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Then how come a bunch of fans who thought exactly the same as you and called it ridiculous panicked and fled when confronted with actual Native Americans?

Sorry, tell yourself it's fine all you want but the people it affects say it isn't.

I know it's tough to deal with America's history if racism and genocide but denying it is a slap in the face to the people who still suffer today from this legacy.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Then how come a bunch of fans who thought exactly the same as you and called it ridiculous panicked and fled when confronted with actual Native Americans?

Probably because they didn't want a physical confrontation...Pretty simple answer.

I know it's tough to deal with America's history if racism and genocide but denying it is a slap in the face to the people who still suffer today from this legacy.

I believe that they named the "Redskins" because they where ferocious and dedicated warriors, not having anything to do with the racial issues you mentioned.
edit on 8-11-2014 by AprilFooseball because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AprilFooseball

"Probably because they didn't want a physical confrontation...Pretty simple answer. "

Why would there be a physical confrontation?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: AprilFooseball

"Probably because they didn't want a physical confrontation...Pretty simple answer. "

Why would there be a physical confrontation?

Nice, trying to entrap me in a circular argument. A good question all the same. The use of the verb "fled" says that they left in fear, be it in fear of answering questions they didn't know how to answer, or that they left in fear of physical harm, is left to the imagination, either way a good reason to leave, in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Redskin is literally a derogatory term. Like its that simple. Don't call your team the New York Kikes, the Columbus Bitches, or the Boston Poofs. Theres a thousand names to pict from that wont make people feel like cartoons.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

I didn't see anyone denying any history. All people said was that it was meant to honor the warrior spirit of the American Indians. I don't see anything wrong with it any more than the 'Fighting Irish' or any other cultural reference. Now if the team name were the 'Drunken Indians' then you might have a point.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The fighting Irish are accepted by the Irish. The redskins is not accepted by native Americans. I understand we're people are coming. I 100% understand it. It's just shallow and subconsciously racist.

How about the Washington Spics? Washington WOPs? Washington Spearchuckers? Washington Kikes? Washington Sand Monkeys?

Are those fine?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Then call them the Warriors, or call them the Braves, or call them the Chiefs, or the Fighters, or heck, you could even call them the Native Americans. Redskin is a slur, and there is nothing complementary about it.

I don't doubt that the person who named the team thought they were naming them after brave warriors, but they used a slur to do it. It would be like someone saying "boy those Ni**ers are great athletes, so I'll call my team the Ni**ers". Isn't that meant as a complement? The intentions may have been good, but the slur term is simply wrong.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
There is a rugby league team in nz called the Warriors,,,,a reply to: kaylaluv

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

edit on 11-8-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Maybe they can rename the team the 'Redfins'. I don't think k the fish will be offended.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Whatever else may be wrong with the word "Redskins", the word itself does not mean "genocide", and there is no act of genocide which is called "Redskins" anywhere in the history books.
Therefore using the name Redskins is NOT "naming your team after a genocide".

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Why don't you protest the Bureau of Indian Affairs that stock grocery stores with white bread, bologna and sugary items? Why don't you help do something about the high rate of alcoholism among Native Americans? If you are so 'Red Proud' then put your protest where it might actually help Indians.
edit on 8-11-2014 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Don't all races identify themselves by color?; i.e. "white people" "black people" "red people" etc?

Simple solution - call them the Red Sticks.
If you don't know what it is look it up, you need to read about it

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

“Dan Snyder, read a history book, don’t name your football team after a genocide.”

Jesse Ventura, read a history book, don't accuse people of naming a football team after genocide when they clearly are not.

'Red Skins' isn't genocide. You could discuss possible racism, but not genocide. And in regards to racism, the team was named as a tribute to brave people who are strong and proud. Native Americans are fine with it for the most part so don't go getting all upset about it when most of them aren't upset. If THEY don't like it, they'll say something.

I wonder if Jesse Ventura actually reads any of these remarks of if he just posts and never bothers to read the responses. He should read them and learn from them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join