It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those about to Progressive Rock

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Klaatu:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Yes were considered Prog Rock gods back in the 70's:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I was actually at this festival in 1978. We were living in Ontario back then and my brother took me with him, I was only 11 at the time and he was 17. He held me up on his shoulders the whole time so I could see... he was the bestest brother ever !

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

I miss you big bro...

edit on 20-11-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

If you can classify Tool as prog rock, you can definitely classify some of Katatonia's work as prog rock.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

By the definition given by the OP I think you HAVE to consider Tool as Prog.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

And I would agree with the OP's definition. Prog rock is the closest thing to defining tool. If you listen to the Katatonia albums I posted, they are very similar to Tool. That was my only point. Some of Katatonias work has been called "doom metal" (their older stuff) and their newest stuff isn't on the prog rock map, but certainly those two albums are prog rock, and amazing albums at that.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
a reply to: intrepid

And I would agree with the OP's definition. Prog rock is the closest thing to defining tool. If you listen to the Katatonia albums I posted, they are very similar to Tool. That was my only point. Some of Katatonias work has been called "doom metal" (their older stuff) and their newest stuff isn't on the prog rock map, but certainly those two albums are prog rock, and amazing albums at that.

It's all good.. If you want to call Katatonia Prog rock then great, it's no different then people that call Opeth prog rock.
Both bands had tr00 kvlt releases prior to going their current routes. Katatonia put out Dance of December Souls + Brave Murder Day and because of voice issues for J. Renske changed their style. I'm not really big on genre classifications anymore.

If I can put my headphones on and hear something which moves me then it's good. So in the end for me it doesnt matter because it's all good music and much like Ihsahn or Anathema both Katatonia and Opeth have not stayed stagnant and locked in the era of corpse paint and demonic names. =)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join