It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 IL Veterans Force 102 Corrupt Officials to Resign, Place Entire Local Board Under Citizen’s Arre

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Illinois residents John Kraft and Kirk Allen, who run an anti-corruption non-profit called the Edgar County Watchdogs, have waged a campaign against crooked public officials over the past two years, forcing resignations from 102 bureaucrats and politicians and at one point placing an entire park district board under citizen's arrest.

2 IL Veterans Force 102 Corrupt Officials to Resign, Place Entire Local Board Under Citizen’s Arrest

I am amazed. Maybe there is hope for the USA yet!

We need more heroes like these guys:

Despite an uphill battle, the anti-corruption twosome have been surprisingly successful. By doggedly pursuing justice for even the smallest infractions by bureaucrats and politicians, the Edgar County Watchdogs have driven 102 public officials to resign from their posts, including 33 officials in Edgar County alone. The pair busted the mayor of Redmond for attempting to hold office while living out of town. They represented themselves in court and beat Illinois Assistant Attorney General Emma Steimel in a lawsuit seeking access to state emails. Officials who have resigned due to the Watchdogs’ efforts include a property tax assessor, the Edgar County board chairman, an entire airport board and its manager, the attorney for Kansas Township’s fire department, Shiloh’s superintendent of schools, and Effingham’s health department administrator, among others. After they exposed corrupt, illegal, and self-serving spending habits by the Ford-Iroquois County health department, the entire bureaucracy was dissolved. In some cases, federal agents have even stepped in to investigate and issue subpoenas to local officials after receiving tips from Kraft and Allen.

In what was one of their most epic displays of political crime-fighting, seen in the above-embedded video, Allen and Kraft held the entire Clark County Park District Board under citizen’s arrest on May 13, 2014 for violating the Illinois Open Meetings Act, a Class C misdemeanor. According to NBC-5 Chicago, when Clark County Sheriff Jerry Parsley responded to the scene of the heated dispute in which local residents were not allowed to make public comments at a park district board public meeting, he chose to enforce Kraft and Allen’s citizen’s arrest. Sheriff Parsley explained his rationale behind enforcing the arrest to NBC Chicago, “The people need to have their voice. It’s not a dictatorship. It’s a democracy.”

edit on 7-11-2014 by pianopraze because: typo

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I know about these guys, I live in Clark Co and it's as corrupt as Chicago. If you're a shady politician, you do not want these guys on your trail.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Well heck, why don't you just get these fellows to run for office?

Seems as if they have absolutely no tolerance for corruption and back room dealing what so ever, and that is what most regular people from the States that I talk to on here, are all about! Good job bringing this to the attention of the membership pianopraze!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Good guize: 102
Bad guiz: lol gg

But seriously. This is really cool. Thanks for posting this

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
That is awesome. Reminds me of Walter Burien's CAFR crusade.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
There goes my heroes.........

Watch them as they go..........

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

So the rule of law isn't quite dead yet. How amazing this story is.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
If I did not know that such a large number of resignations resulted from the effort of two individuals, I would never have believed it had occurred. I think that if we could have people like this in every city that corruption would be less of an issue. And not even corruption, but simply breaking the rules when you hold public office. There are always rules and laws to follow, and considering that such positions are there for the benefit of the people, those holding those positions should be held to a higher standard...and at the bare minimum should be held to the same standard as everyone else, while in reality they are held to much lower standards of compliance.

The main problem the people would run into with something like this would be at higher levels, such as state and federal government. You could never even get close enough to do something like place them under citizens' arrest, and anything you tried to do legally would simply be quashed before it got any traction...Even if you were right. That is how the system works. The little guys cannot do anything about the corruption of the big guys unless the big guys allow it, since they have so much influence and money. There needs to be an independent investigative group that serves to investigate members of the government year-round. They should ensure that everything is done legally and above-board, and when it is not the guilty parties should be held legally accountable. The worst place for corruption to exist is within the government, considering what the government is meant to do.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Our 4th estate at used to do that. Sometimes still does....
edit on 7-11-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Glorious. I can only hope more will follow the example of these 2 fine gentlemen.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

YES

If we had 1,000 more people like these two I think we could actually see meaningful change in the US and Canada.

Case in point, a Ms Alison Redford stands accused of fraud for using government aircraft for personal trips, paid for by the taxpayers. She also made up fake passenger manifests to justify sending friends and her daughter to resorts and other places. Well over 50 trips were unjustified and went against her own government's policy for what constituted using a government aircraft.
Will she ever get properly punished?

Heck no, the Alberta government is way too corrupt for that. But I can hope :C

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
How awesome! This is the first thing that came to my mind:

What a breath of fresh air. THIS is what Americans need to do.
EVERYWHERE.
Hold their feet to the fire.
I have to admire the diligence of these gentlemen and their approach to enforcing the law.
I have some new heroes!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
rather anticlimatic video, you dont see the arrest, 26 minutes of pretty much nothing but some arguing

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I find this story to be inspiring and motivational. We need this in my area maybe I can get involved somehow.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Absolutely incredible work by these two heroic individuals.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Whoops, The Adam's Family . . . There it is!

I'll get you and your little hand 2 !

Be the Cause, PSalm 102

I LOVE YOU, YOU LOVE ME
WE"RE ONE BIG, HAPPY FAMILY

" With a Rebel Yell, she cries more, more, more
In the Midnight hour, babe, she cries more, more, more
OW, She cries more, more, more, more, more, more * (echo) *

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
sounds sort of like the veterans at the battle of athens.

en.wikipedia.org...(1946)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Lol. Go watch some police brutality videos. They're definitely more action packed.

Justice tends to make poor TV.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
These guys could make a mint franchising out their business model. Imagine, one in every city over 10k in this country. Sure would keep the courts busy. Nice work gentlemen.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Its useful to know how to use the powers of citizen arrest, but you have to be careful not to end up being charged with assault or deprivation of liberty or even kidnapping... its important to know your laws if you are going to try this.

Veterans are very effective at this because they can be forceful without using violence, and speak in an authoritative manner.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join