It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Call To Prosecute Over Gay Jesus Play

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Interesting point, therefore it shouldn't be in the play at all.
This tired old arguement again?

Ah spoken like a true revisionist religious historian. At anyrate, How many deaths in the name of religion have there been? I agree with you its also about money. THe Vatican is the single biggest tax free business in the world.

So my question is this: If your Messiah is gay what impact does it have on your belief system. How do you know he was not gay?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
question is this: If your Messiah is gay what impact does it have on your belief system. How do you know he was not gay?

No impact. It was not addressed and surely would've been an issue to all those 'right wingers' of the time you'd mentioned before. I don't like political cartoons either, where words are put into the mouths of people who do not say them. My beef is with misrepresentation of actual people. Spinning the last question with: what makes you think he was? There's no coins on either side of the scale from what I see.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
therefore it shouldn't be in the play at all.

Well, in your opinion it shouldn't, but you didn't make the play of course, so there's not much to say about it. But, like I said before, I'll agree with you that this is somethign that was probably done just to roil some people up. Perhaps, however, they wanted to make the point that a good christian wouldn't bash gays becuase jesus doesn't care.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I can see where you're coming from on the above points, Nygdan. *nods*

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
At his trial before the exocution, according to the Biblical account, Jesus did not defend himself against falsehoods, mis-representations and stuff like that. At least that is the way I understand it.
As my example, I see no reason for me to get hyper or violent over things said about Him. I don't have to believe them. Personally, as a Christian, I do not think treating ANYBODY's religious Icons with less than respect is proper. That includes Budda and Muhammed and anybody else of the same ilk---The founders of the Beliefs.
Maybe that is because I was taught to be tolerant of other people and their beliefs. But I am going to upset somebody in about 30 seconds.
Uhhhhh....... I forget who just said it, but... UTAH and SCOTLAND are both states?
Oh great. Just what we need. Kilt wearing Mormons. :

Okay, I know I should not have said that, and I apologize, but I did think it was funny.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
u]Fred, come on now- 'ultra right wing groups'

Now you become a labeler too.

If someone is offended by something that insults their religion or belief then they automatically are right-wing? Why is that? This makes no sense to me. Liberals (American version) support helping the poor and so do a lot of 'right-wingers.'

Back to your story- I believe that the crux of the problem may end up being public money (taxes) used by the University to provide a knowingly offensive production. Whether the story is true or not or accurate or not will not be of consequence.

rawiea get to know some Mormons- the kilt angle is kind of part of their heritage for some as I understand the lost tribes and Scotia stories. I believe there is some Scottish tie-ins, at least for some.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

The last man to be sent to prison for blasphemy was John William Gott. In 1922 he was sentenced to nine months' hard labour for comparing Jesus with a circus clown.

hahaha! That's brilliant!

I wish I could've been at the trial to hear how that comparison worked.

As for dickhead groups such as the 'Christian Voice', congratulations you probably just doubled the amount of people who will see this play through all the free publicity you gave them. The theatre company must be rubbing their hands together, good job dickheads.

If you don't like the subject matter don't see the f@#king play!!! I'm getting so sick of this bulls@#t, it's really that simple. The theatre aren't bothering anyone who doesn't want to be bothered, no one is forcing them to go.
If you don't like the subject matter then pay no attention to it, they're only aggrovating themselves, the theatre aren't doing it.

Just go and buy one of those straight to video/DVD tellings of Jesus funded by churches and starring Gary Oldman or something, that'll make you happy.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This play reminds me of where Marilyn Manson is coming from....

It doesn't seem to be making any real piont other than to exploit both Christianity and gay people in a sensationalised effort to cash in on moral indignation...

Christianity is big enough to look after itself, but the gay community have fought long and hard for a little respect. The last thing thay need is to be associated in the public eye with this kind of cynical exercise.

File under : next loser

[edit on 10-12-2004 by Flange Gasket]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Will it ever end??

Next thing there will be insinuations that Jesus was a crossdresser, a pimp, a drunkard or... good heavens.. a woman????

We need an Inquisition fast!

"And the world trembled in panic when they found out that Him was Her."

unknown.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
rawiea get to know some Mormons- the kilt angle is kind of part of their heritage for some as I understand the lost tribes and Scotia stories. I believe there is some Scottish tie-ins, at least for some.

I just re-read my previous post. I was out of line. I have no ecxuse or reason for posting as I did.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tartessian
Will it ever end??

Next thing there will be insinuations that Jesus was a crossdresser, a pimp, a drunkard or... good heavens.. a woman????

Not certain if your serious or not. If your serious then your very ignorant of what is going on. There is no reason why Jesus would be depicted as any of the above things, being gay doesn't make you any of the above things and that sound just like the ignorant crud the people protesting have claimed. If they really were against the lay then they would avoided giving them any free publicity.

Originally posted by TartessianWe need an Inquisition fast!

I surely hope you really don't mean that. The Inquisition was satans tool. It destroyed far more innocent lives than actual "heretics". Look at what happened to the templars when the King of France didn't want to pay his debt. He jsut put a Pope on the thronea nd called in a favor and Wham!-the templars got accused of a bunch of crud that ahd nothing to do with reality so that France could get out of debt.

Originally posted by Tartessian"And the world trembled in panic when they found out that Him was Her."

unknown.

HAH!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God I hate to say this but...if someone wants to lie and portray Jesus that way, they have a right to do so here.

Well said.
There is also the POV that,due to there being no evidence for any deity you care to mention,claims of blasphemy can be seen to be a bit redundant and ridiculous-not to mention hypocritically one sided and intolerant.

As for jesus being gay,well he did go to Mount Herman...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by curme

It matters because the bible says it matters. God makes is very clear where He stands on people being homosexual.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well seeing that religion is just a pile of bunkum, a made up story to control the weak minded who really cares how Jesus is portrayed. It dose not matter one jot if he was homosexual or not considering the person probally never existed anyway so what dose it matter and even if he did he still could have been homosexual.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is idiotic, however I will acknowledge I understand why this could upset Christians. I myself am furious when books are adapted into movies and the gay characters are turned straight. You might even see a few gay groups protesting at a play adapted from a book that changes gay characters into straight characters. I don’t think him being gay is what bothers them the most; I think they believe the play is being dishonest to his legacy and they don’t feel the dishonesty is needed. Still they have every right to do as they wish and these people protesting should find better things to do with their time.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

I think maybe Jesus is protrayed as a gay Jesus to help all gay people to feel better about themselves. They wouldn't feel like they were going against the teachings of Jesus and God. They would then feel like they were going to be O.K. or saved. Remember, Jesus/God loves the sinner but not the sin. Gays are very much loved by the Father, but He makes it very clear that He does not love the sin that they live.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Just to point out something here.....

I have never found any mention in the bible of jesus being married, and at 33 he would have been VERY old for a single man who had never been married, in biblical times.

Just a thought......

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Well we can assume the play’s creator’s intentions all we want, whatever their intentions they have a right to do the play however they want. Many people on this earth (over 60%) including many homosexuals are not Christians nor do they seek to validate their love in the eyes of a Christian version of a higher power. So I think assuming this is what motivates the play’s creator doesn’t make sense, unless the play’s creator has expressed so.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I agree that if you dont like it ..dont watch it ...if you dont like the book ..dont read it ..if the play is something you totally disagree with DONT GO TO IT ..
(Not that I agree with this play ..in fact I believe it really only makes gays look bad when they take someone who was holy and make him unholy just to try and justify their lifestyles) .

In order for us to be able to HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH we have to allow everyone else the same freedom of speech ..even if it is not something we would condone or agree with ...
I value my own freedom of speech and I value the freedom of speech for ALL just as much as I do my own .... ....

Same with religion ...I would not want my religion banned ...I would certainly stand up for anyone else of any other religion if theirs was being banned .....etc
Even satanists in my opinion have a right to serve whoever they wish to serve ...(Free will) .........not that I agree with it ...just that they have a right to it ...just like I do when I serve GOD and Jesus Christ ...

Now that does not mean I wouldnt argue with any of you about it and try to change your minds ......lol because I will do that until I die .. lol .......that is my freedom of speech that I am exercising ...

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

going against the teachings of Jesus

Jesus never mentioned gays. Paul did but he also approved of women never speaking in church and was okay with slavery so I’m not really “hip” to his message, for it doesn’t remind me much of Jesus’ teachings. As for what God has said well most of the things attributed to God’s word on homosexuals in the bible are in the Old Testament, which most Christians ignore, except when it comes to the versus they’re okay with or versus that help to support their bigotry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join