It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Call To Prosecute Over Gay Jesus Play

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
A theatre company in Scotland has come under protest for producing a play that depicts Jesus as homosexual. Calling the play blasphemy, a group of Christian protestors, known as The Christian Voice, urged police to prosecute the company. The play was originally written by an American.

www.cnn.com
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A group of Christian protesters in Scotland has called on police to prosecute a theater company for blasphemy because it is putting on a play about a gay Jesus.

"If there is a blasphemy like this, Christians have to stand up," said Stephen Green of Christian Voice who protested outside a theatre showing Terence McNally's controversial play "Corpus Christi" at St Andrews University.

"Jesus Christ is being portrayed here as a foul-mouthed, drunken, promiscuous homosexual and that is an insult to my faith," Green told BBC Radio.

But the play's director, Zsuzsi Lyndsay, defended the production: "He is not portrayed as a drunken foulmouth. He doesn't say one bad word throughout the play."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is one of those freedom of expression rights that while is designed to push the edges of the envelope, is clearly allowed. While you may not agree with the playwrights interpretation of events, he or she has a fundamental right to express it. My response is the same for those who detract Howard Stern. If you do not like the message turn it off. Or in this case, do not attend the play.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
A few years back a large American museum (I think the Guggenheim) had some nude male to male art- a major donor told the museum to remove it or he would not support the museum again.

Who's freedom of expression was limited?

I can imagine a few years from now Stalin or Hitler will be portrayed as 'kewl dudes' by some playwright. This is where artistic license and sensibility need to be held up to public scrutiny. The public decides its own moral code. The folks that support the University (St. Andrews) have apparently decided their money is well spent.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Man, are we in trouble.

They weren't denying his divinity, just his sexuality.
Neither being a CRIME!!!

Some folks are ASKING for a Theocracy!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
A few years back a large American museum (I think the Guggenheim) had some nude male to male art- a major donor told the museum to remove it or he would not support the museum again.

There was another case and the artist name escapes me, but you had to walk on an american flag to write your comments about a crusifix that was suspended in a jar of urine. Talk about pushing almost everybody buttons and just being gross

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This is America. I hate to say this but...if someone wants to lie and portray Jesus that way, they have a right to do so here. 1st Amendment allows for freedom of speech as long as it does not interfer with another's freedom of speech. I whole heartly stand behind the people outside saying the play is false. I don't see however, how this could possibly be a court case. You cannot do that. Now you're infringing on other's rights.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
This is America. I hate to say this but...if someone wants to lie and portray Jesus that way, they have a right to do so here. 1st Amendment allows for freedom of speech as long as it does not interfer with another's freedom of speech.

How do you know that the events portrayed in the play are false? More to the point, the play does not seem to be billing itself as a documentary of any sort.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
This is America. I hate to say this but...if someone wants to lie

How do you know it's a lie?

And just for the record, I don't thing Jesus was gay.....but when it comes down to brass tacks...no one "knows" anything......the whole thing seems ridiculous to me to start with...and a court case!? Pfffffffffst
EDITED to add...

This is America. I hate to say this
why do you hate to say that!? Freedom of speech is a good thing!

[edit on 12/10/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
FredT said it in the original post, and the CNN article said it too. This is happening in SCOTLAND folks, how did it get transposed to the USA?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rawiea
FredT said it in the original post, and the CNN article said it too. This is happening in SCOTLAND folks, how did it get transposed to the USA?

Bwahahahahahah!!! Me posting while on my first cup again!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rawiea

Scotland like the US has freedom of speech. Given the current religious bent here in the states, the comparisons were inevitable. I think the play would have a similar effect if it were being held in the deep south.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What exactley do they want them to be prosecute them for? They have commited no crime.

I found it amusing that foul mouthedness was assosiated with the charecter, even though no foul words are used in the play.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
What exactley do they want them to be prosecute them for? They have commited no crime.

The group in question asked that the charges be blasphemy. Its possible that there are laws on the books that they could potentialy be charged with. You see there carry over laws all the time. Now would a prosecutor actually tie up court time? I doubt it.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
So the Son of God doesn't like women?

And then there are already some saying that the Virgin Mary ain't Virgin...

Next thing the Holy Ghost isn't Holy? its just a damn Ghost? like that Green spectral crap in Ghostbusters...

Keeping the faith is already hard as it is, stop messing with my faith

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
According to this:news.bbc.co.uk...

Blasphemy laws are about to be removed.

The last man to be sent to prison for blasphemy was John William Gott. In 1922 he was sentenced to nine months' hard labour for comparing Jesus with a circus clown. In Scotland, there has not been a public prosecution since 1843.

news.bbc.co.uk...

So I agree, Fred, no charges are likely to be brought.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Good points, I sit corrected on these:

I have not seen the play. FredT makes a good point saying it's fiction.

Portraying Jesus as gay is not doctrine. I should have said fictitious instead of "lie".

I am grateful for the freedom of speech and as posted per above, stand behind it in support.

When I said "I hate to say this..." I was referring to people making portrayals about people they know is unsubstantiated, not the freedom of speech. It is offensive, but I know I do not have the right to prevent it nor infringe upon the rights of others to do so. I exercise my right by not buying a ticket and speaking my mind about it, that is all.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
"Jesus Christ is being portrayed here as a foul-mouthed, drunken, promiscuous homosexual and that is an insult to my faith," Green told BBC Radio.

So why doesn't he cry about it?

This is one of those freedom of expression rights that while is designed to push the edges of the envelope, is clearly allowed.

I'm not even sure it pushes any envelopes. Its not seditious, doesn't call for violence or anyting like that that would normally be the limits of free speech. its just insulting to some christians.

FredT
but you had to walk on an american flag to write your comments about a crusifix that was suspended in a jar of urine

Ha, now thats just busting balls.

joedoaks

One does not have a right to have ones works displayed at the guggenheim. Heck, they also had a portrait of the virgin mary made out of human excrement in NYC. Guiliani was very much insulted and against it and I beleive it was ultimately taken down. I don't recall if it was his order or what, I think that he threatened to revoke public funding for the musuem, since so much of the public was offended by it. I'd say, people should be used to be offended by now.

ladyv
why do you hate to say that!?

I can understand what he is saying, this production probably was made just to insult people, its 'irresponsible', allowed, but 'irresponsible'.

raweia
This is happening in SCOTLAND folks, how did it get transposed to the USA?

Didn't you know that everything happens in the USA. Besides, scotland is just another US state, like utah or canada.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
What I find astounding is how many people have so little faith in their beliefs that they feel like it is a personal attack against them when someone portrays the subject matter in a way contrary to the way they see it. If you are so correct in your beliefs then why get so threatened that someone else has a different belief?

I hold certain beliefs about pretty much everything including an all encompassing entity. However when someone states that they are wrong, I really don't care as they are not wrong for me. I'm not insulted or threatened as they are correct for my life.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Does it really matter if someone's savior is gay? It should be about the message, if his is a good person or not, not his sexual orientation.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Does it really matter if someone's savior is gay? It should be about the message, if his is a good person or not, not his sexual orientation.

Alot of these ultra right wing groups are so homaphobic, the very thought would make thier heads pop. As the poster above you pointed out, how is this play a threat to thier religous ideals? If thier faith in thier chosen religion is that strong, how can a few heathen work them into a tizzy? However, looking back at the number of wars faught over religion, can any of us be surprised at how worked up they seem?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Interesting point, therefore it shouldn't be in the play at all.

Originally posted by FredT
However, looking back at the number of wars faught over religion, can any of us be surprised at how worked up they seem?

This tired old arguement again? Okay here we go. Wars are fought for land, power, money, greed, self-ambition, pride, and so on and so forth. Sometimes religion is used as a cover to get people to 'buy into' the idea that it's the right thing to do. Shall we take this to start another thread in 'Conspiracies in Religion', revisit the old ones, or cite historical examples?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join