It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Pete’s owner says he won’t change the name of his restaurant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Source

The owner of a Denver Mexican restaurant chain says he won’t change the name of his eatery despite calls from community members who charge its meaning is offensive to illegal immigrants.

You've got to be kidding me. Offensive to illegals? If illegals are offended by a restaurant name in Boulder, Colorado, maybe they should either a) become legal citizens, or b) get the **** out of the United States.

I am sure there are no illegals who are offended, only the self-appointed far left political correctness police that live in Boulder.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a bunch of folks offended on behalf of illegal immigrants....

.....sounds about right in America.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I don't find it offensive, but I'm not illegal or Mexican.... So there is that. Is it in good taste? Probably not. Hooters isn't either if we want to look at it that way. One can find offense in anything if they look hard enough. I do think the issue probably was raised by the PC crowd before the "offended audience" even took notice.

In saying that, I think people should be able to name their restaurant whatever they want. Let them be offensive (if it's legitimate offense) and watch the people vote with their money and their feet IMO. People who do things out of spite or are truly offensive usually don't succeed in the long run. We don't need a law telling this guy what he can call his establishment. We need those who are offended to quit patronizing it.

They have just given him a ton of free advertisement and if he's a successful businessman... He was counting on that and they gave him exactly what he wanted

Next people will stand up for the pirates and will be offended by Long John Silver's giving away stereotypical pirate hats with their crappy food.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 11/7/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

I agree. This is one of those things where the left shoots itself in the foot. There are legitimate cases of names of businesses or organizations being wrong but in my opinion this is not one.

This is assuming the decor or menu or something isn't offensive. If he has a "border crossing special" or something then it's legitimate.

That being said, in the right wing ideals this is part of capitalism. If people disagree with your business they have the right to do so.

So as long as there is no government action on the matter this is not a political issue at all.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Aw...Hurt feelings? Get over it.

If he called it "legal Pete’s" it would still offend many because they would say it is now sarcastic. It's only a name.

Peace

edit on 7-11-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I wonder how many illegal petes he employes...
And I agree, just a name and all they are doing is giving him more business.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Exactly. I wonder what kind of boost he'll see in business.

Now, if he had called it "Illegal Pedro's" they might have an argument.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be offensive to people who are not illegal and of hispanic origin. Unless everyone just assumes all hispanics are illegal you should be able to see the point.

I don't particularly see an issue he only got a few calls from the community you can't make everyone happy all the time.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The thing is that the name doesn't even come from illegal aliens but from the name of a bar in a novel and his father's name.

It's like getting offended because of your own internal baggage and not because of anything this guy did. It would be like me getting in trouble for discussing tranny issues with my husband because it's somehow hateful to transgendered folk to discuss transmissions. At that point, they are mad because of their own baggage and not because of anything I'm actually talking about.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

OMFG

The amount of concentrated fail all in one place is nigh overwhelming.

Let's just stop naming places at all and just give them all alpha-numerical designation codes, that way no one will get miffed. /sarcasm

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Yah, this is way stupid.

Just to illustrate a point I think he should change it to "Illegal Pedro's". Maybe then all these protestors will understand the difference.

Although, even if he called "Illegal Immigrant Cafe", who cares??? It's his right to call his business whatever he wants.

It reminds me of a place here where I live called the "Frosted Muffin". I can't even say it without smiling just a little bit.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
And the DOJ/Obama jumps on this in 3....2....
I'm sure someone, some where, at some time will be offended [ or encouraged to be ] and we'll have a loud cry of Discrimination !!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ya he does say it's from a book but couldn't find what book it was from in his 6 page reasoning, to be fair I didn't really read it in depth, kinda just skimmed through looking for that particular piece of info.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I don't know if they listed the title of the book, only that he liked the name of the bar because Pete was his name and his father's name.

I just remember hearing about his on the radio and doing a massive facepalm on my drive to work the other morning.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Although, even if he called "Illegal Immigrant Cafe", who cares??? It's his right to call his business whatever he wants.

It would be most ironic if he were situated next to a Chinese buffet.

Check that.. there are SIX locations. Must be people really like their illegal grub.

edit on 7-11-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I don't see the big deal. Illegals have red carpets rolled out for them, Americans are told sit back and smile, while working beyond exhaustion.

How about "God's Children, Future of America, More Worthy Than Everyone Else Pete's"?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I'm curious as to what the protestors actually want done. Are we supposed to just ban the use of the word "Illegal"??? Just outright remove the term "Illegal" wherever it's being used?? Could you imagine what that would require in areas of Law Enforcement or the Courts. lol

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Illegal isn't acceptable anyway. It's undocumented. Or asylum seeker. Or refugee or just cute little kids needing a future like our kids get (yeah lol).

I personally prefer political pawns in the guaranteed quest for a NWO.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I mean how hard would it be to just say what book it was if your are going to use as a reasoning.
Again I don't think he should have to change the name, just curious as to what book he keeps talking about.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

So if he had called it "Undocumented Pete's" everything would be cool then??? lol

Doesn't exactly have the same appeal does it???

"Asylum Seeking Pete's" just sounds creepy. I don't think I'd go there to eat anything.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join