It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California teachers sue union over dues, politics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Looks like a few California teachers are fed up with the way their Union spends money on politics.

They are suing.

Details sketchy but to the point.

How DARE they !!

Rebecca Friedrichs figures 30 years is long enough when it comes to paying her dues.

A fourth-grade teacher in Anaheim public schools, Friedrichs has long had problems with the way the California Teachers Association spends the union dues it takes in and the way it goes about collecting the money from the rank and file. Now she and nine other teachers from around the state are fighting back. The 10 public school teachers allege in a lawsuit that the CTA, the largest affiliate of the National Education Association, has no right to spend the rank-and-file's money on political campaigns with which members disagree.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Friedrichs told FoxNews.com. “I’ve begrudgingly paid union fees for years.”

California teachers sue union over dues, politics

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I wonder if she begrudgingly enjoyed the benefits of the union as well.

I wonder how active she was in her local.

I am sure her union dues go to pay for much more than political donations. And the political donations that are made, if any, are going to be to union friendly candidates.

After 30 years now she is tired of it?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Are you seriously implying that because those teachers want transparency and accountability from their union that it's wrong?

They have to up to a grand a year, mandatory, and they don't get a say in how their money is spent. And they don't agree with the political campaigns that their union supports.

I think for how much they pay, they should have a say in how the money is reimbursed or spent

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

After 30 years, she should be retired. I don't know what CA's retirement system is like, but quite a few states have it set up to have diminishing returns after teaching for x years. My ex wife is a union rep with NEA. I saw the worst teachers and I also saw exploitation of great teachers for quite a few years who couldn't have afforded any kind of defense against accusations that were later proven untrue.
This was one of the hard to sell points they were asked in any right to work state, the political candidate support. Very little money actually goes to candidates, if any. More is spent on lobbying those already elected. Most state affiliates of NEA are beyond broke just like the government.
edit on 7-11-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
When they join the Union, aren't they giving power by proxy to the Unions? Unions never ask their members how they should spend union dues. They don't have to. This could be interesting. I'm gonna watch and see how this plays out. My money is on the Unions.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
When they join the Union, aren't they giving power by proxy to the Unions? Unions never ask their members how they should spend union dues. They don't have to. This could be interesting. I'm gonna watch and see how this plays out. My money is on the Unions.

Same here. The Unions don't actively contribute to campaigns of people they may endorse. They do it all on the back end by hiring state and federal lobbyists...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguy27

Are you seriously implying that because those teachers want transparency and accountability from their union that it's wrong?

I'm not saying it is wrong to want accountability but thats not what she is asking for. She seems to want her money back.

I pay a lot of money in union dues myself. We have a card we can sign to take 2 cents an hour towards political stuff, I'm sure she could have run for a position in her union and tried to sway money to the union hating republicans if she so desired.

new topics

top topics

join