It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery of the ancient kingdom discovered in Nepal where thousands of caves are carved 155ft off the

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Did you see the art depictions on the wall in the one cave picture?

You'll notice the pyramid drawings, and if you look closely at the Buddha like figures at the top you'll notice the halo around their head.

Weird huh?

The mystery schools were all over ancient cultures. They were far more connected then we are. We're the U evolved ones.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
a reply to: Klassified

The astonishing number of caves, some dug into the cliffside, others tunnelled from above, are thousands of years old but who built them and why remains a mystery. A scientist scales a fragile rock face to reach the 800-year-old caves, right, while the team hike below some of the entrances,

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm thinking thousands because it's mentioned several times but hey, we all make mistakes from time to time.

ETA:

OK, I've looked at all the pictures several times and besides the height issue, why would anyone live there? There is nothing around, how did they eat or clothe themselves? Is there a village nearby? Maybe it was for religious purposes, similar to monks or holy men and village people brought them food and clothing.

My theory is that the river was much, much higher and as the water receded, they built the caves.

Thanks OP, this is an awesome find!

Other civilizations like the Aztecs or Incas used to carve out store rooms in hard to reach cliffs. In that way, rodents and vermin couldn't get access. Another security advantage was that the doors to these store rooms would be visible to the whole tribe, so anyone who tried to gain access would be seen well before they reached any room.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: Char-Lee

I believe they could fly.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
the Anasazi people were cliff dwellers as well . en.wikipedia.org... it could be for strategic purposes.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

You're right; Buddhist hermits like caves in high places. There are plenty of examples in my own country and throughout the Buddhist world.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Love seeing things like this. So much we still don't know about ourselves

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Did you see the art depictions on the wall in the one cave picture?

You'll notice the pyramid drawings, and if you look closely at the Buddha like figures at the top you'll notice the halo around their head.

Weird huh?

The mystery schools were all over ancient cultures. They were far more connected then we are. We're the U evolved ones.

The body gives off an electronic signature that contains a language at its edges. Esoteric ally known as the aura. If you would like verifiable proof of this you have to simply train your eyes using a red and blue circle with opposite vertical and horizontal lines spaced an inch apart until you can build a perfect cross between the two. Ever notice how babies look above and around a person and never at someone's eyes? We lose the ability to see the aura around 1-2 years old. The halo is chakra that is only ever present in people that have made great sacrifices. In ancient times even those that had lost their ability to see the aura could see the halo of very highly spiritually evolved beings such as Lord Buddha and Lord Christ. That is why artist and subsequent artist drew them with a halo. Very few people can read the language contained with the aura. Ramana Maharshi was one. I've been ale to see it but not read it. Most people are materialistic and have very dull auras.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

I first saw this on Ancient Aliens but I went looking and can't seem to find any pics like what I saw on the show. There's a huge Buddha statue in there that was what really intrigued me. Well, that and the fact that the entrances are way up on cliffs, that's always interesting. They barely talked about it and only showed a couple of pics

Here's a screenshot:

So what's the little dude there holding up his arm? Don't know if Ive ever seen that but I'm not a religious expert either.

I did come across this book that says these were checked out in 2007.

www.nonfictiondetectives.com...

Secrets of the Sky Caves: Danger and Discovery on Nepal's Mustang Cliffs
by Sandra K. Athans
Millbrook Press, 2014.

Secrets of the Sky Caves takes place in the Mustang region which is controlled by Nepal. In 2007 a team that included climbers, archaeologists, an author and two children spent thirty days traveling to the "Sky Caves" in Mustang. The caves were carved to be used as dwellings and burial chambers beginning around 1000 BCE. The 2007 expedition was led by Pete Athans, brother of the author. Using climbing gear, the team was able to reach caves high in the mountainous region where they discovered cave paintings dating back to the 1100s. They also located ancient, clay artifacts and rare manuscript papers containing religious writing. The team returned several times with the permission of the government of Nepal and Buddhist leaders. Their mission was to remove artifacts and papers and to document what they had discovered including numerous mummified bodied and the heads of mummified animals.

edit on 11/8/2014 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Wow what a place to live!Or bury your dead but i would assume no dead were found.I so wish i were not afraid of heights!This could be a place to find something so many caves!

An estimated 10,000 of these mysterious human-built caves have been found in the former Kingdom of Mustang in North, Central Nepal. Those who have seen the mysterious caves say the effect of them on the cliff face makes it look like a giant sandcastle.
Hidden within the Himalayas, 155ft from the ground, these man-made caves are one of the World's greatest archaeological mysteries.
Thousands of holes are carved into the fragile, sandy-coloured cliff in a gorge so large it dwarfs the Grand Canyon.

I doubt you would find any remains there, its normal custom for Himalayan cultures to leave their dead on a ledge and vultures take them! Its a spiritual thing as in the body gets consumed again by nature! Cool find tho!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
There's no real reason to believe these caves were carved by Buddhists.
They could have been there for a thousand years before and then
some were used by the Buddhists and decorated.

I would think that if they were created by the Buddhists, they would
mostly all be decorated. From the photos, it looks like only a few
are decorated.

I think they are all very old and were built for some other purpose than
meditation. Something practical.

Maybe there was even a water level at the time that made these easier
to reach. I have heard that theory about some caves in the US Grand
Canyon.

--TomS

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
PBS did a National Geographic Special documentary of these caves called "Cave People of the Himalaya" that was first shown in February of 2012.

An archaeologist concluded that the caves were burial sites that date back to around 1000 BC.

In the 1990s, a high Himalayan cave in Upper Mustang, Nepal was discovered to contain 42 ancient people, buried on wooden bunk beds. American archaeologist Dr. Mark Aldenderfer believes there must be more burial caves, but the challenge is how to find them deep within cliff faces in the cold and inhospitable environment of the Himalaya. He enlists the world's best technical climbers to do the searching. Aldenderfer's theory is the funerary caves were carved out by the earliest people to have settled in the Himalaya. If he can find their remains and extract their DNA, he'll learn who these people were and what brought them to the toughest parts of the planet to live.

The bones they discovered had evidence that the flesh was carved off with a knife.

Upon cleaning and taking painstakingly detailed observations of each bone, Eng discovers that 63 percent of the bones have cut marks on them, clear evidence of defleshing! Aldenderfer's quest takes an unexpected turn toward the macabre as he begins to trace the mortuary practices of Himalayan peoples, including the distinct sky burial rituals of the people of Upper Mustang today, where they cut up the flesh and bones of their dead and offer them to birds of prey.

The story and hour-long video can be found here.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I looked and didn't come across this but with the search it seems to be hit and miss. If it's already up then do what needs to be done.

I have no idea what the deal is with these cave but they are interesting. I may have seen a picture on another site or on Ancient Aliens(or whatever show it was I saw this on) that had a Buddha statue in the cave but I may be mistaken. It's not at the link provided. How they got into these caves, why they built them, well, I have no answers.

This is fascinating.
Of all of the places I have visited across the world, one region stood out: the Himalayan belt, including northern India and Nepal. Ancient places. Beyond gorgeous nature and vistas. Some villages and people that look frozen in time, harkening back to how their ancestors lived 1000's of years ago. Buddhist and Hindu temples everywhere. And, the most magical and alternative feel I've ever felt.

Funny story. Having been to south Asia quite a lot, once one goes to the holy HImalayan villages and yoga centers, one realizes where a lot of of the new agey and hippy stuff came from. Ancient Indian yogis with grey dreadlocks speaking to esoteric philosophy and smoking reefer.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: damo1583

Wow what a place to live!Or bury your dead but i would assume no dead were found.I so wish i were not afraid of heights!This could be a place to find something so many caves!

An estimated 10,000 of these mysterious human-built caves have been found in the former Kingdom of Mustang in North, Central Nepal. Those who have seen the mysterious caves say the effect of them on the cliff face makes it look like a giant sandcastle.
Hidden within the Himalayas, 155ft from the ground, these man-made caves are one of the World's greatest archaeological mysteries.
Thousands of holes are carved into the fragile, sandy-coloured cliff in a gorge so large it dwarfs the Grand Canyon.

I doubt you would find any remains there, its normal custom for Himalayan cultures to leave their dead on a ledge and vultures take them! Its a spiritual thing as in the body gets consumed again by nature! Cool find tho!

But that is mostly a Tibetan custom... Not "Himalyan cultures." Remember that the Himalayan cultures extend across Tibet, Nepal, and Northern India. The Hindus do not practice what you are mentioning. There are, however, many communities living across the area that are Tibetan in origin.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hindu ascetics as well. Remember that a majority of Nepalese are Hindu, not Buddhist, although that has fluctuated across time.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

But that is mostly a Tibetan custom... Not "Himalyan cultures." Remember that the Himalayan cultures extend across Tibet, Nepal, and Northern India. The Hindus do not practice what you are mentioning. There are, however, many communities living across the area that are Tibetan in origin.
thanks for the info

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
That statue is amazing.

But, if one spends some time in Asia, and sees hundreds of large ancient Buddhist statues, the novelty wears off.

a reply to: Hanslune

I first saw this on Ancient Aliens but I went looking and can't seem to find any pics like what I saw on the show. There's a huge Buddha statue in there that was what really intrigued me. Well, that and the fact that the entrances are way up on cliffs, that's always interesting. They barely talked about it and only showed a couple of pics

Here's a screenshot:

So what's the little dude there holding up his arm? Don't know if Ive ever seen that but I'm not a religious expert either.

I did come across this book that says these were checked out in 2007.

www.nonfictiondetectives.com...

Secrets of the Sky Caves: Danger and Discovery on Nepal's Mustang Cliffs
by Sandra K. Athans
Millbrook Press, 2014.

Secrets of the Sky Caves takes place in the Mustang region which is controlled by Nepal. In 2007 a team that included climbers, archaeologists, an author and two children spent thirty days traveling to the "Sky Caves" in Mustang. The caves were carved to be used as dwellings and burial chambers beginning around 1000 BCE. The 2007 expedition was led by Pete Athans, brother of the author. Using climbing gear, the team was able to reach caves high in the mountainous region where they discovered cave paintings dating back to the 1100s. They also located ancient, clay artifacts and rare manuscript papers containing religious writing. The team returned several times with the permission of the government of Nepal and Buddhist leaders. Their mission was to remove artifacts and papers and to document what they had discovered including numerous mummified bodied and the heads of mummified animals.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I looked and didn't come across this but with the search it seems to be hit and miss. If it's already up then do what needs to be done.

I have no idea what the deal is with these cave but they are interesting. I may have seen a picture on another site or on Ancient Aliens(or whatever show it was I saw this on) that had a Buddha statue in the cave but I may be mistaken. It's not at the link provided. How they got into these caves, why they built them, well, I have no answers.

Reminds me of the luoyang Longmen Caves in China. I went here in 2010.

www.travelchinaguide.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Two things.

1. Showoff(nice link, though).

2. Yeah, but how many are nearly as inaccessible as these are? They gotta get brownie points for creativity, at least.

Why are all these sacred sites so hard to get to anyway? There's always 7,000 stairs or some such. You would think they would make it a little easier to communicate with the gods. Sort of a rhetorical question but sometimes I wonder about stupid things like that as religion baffles me. Seriously, there was one in the AA show where people die all the time trying to get to the top of this mountain and it's a block of ice.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yeah man, no problem.

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

thanks for the info

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Haha, sorry, didn't mean to come across that way. I have a passion for such stuff. Thanks for the original post.

You are right, this place is not as explored nor any where near as overrun with tourists as many archaeological sites.

As to the general accessibility of many such sites, I don't really know. Some ancient cultures have the whole "communicating with the Gods in high places," from the ancient Canaanites to ancient Chinese. I guess if truly removed ascetic communities cut off from the outside world is a goal, then that explains some of these hard to reach places.

What do you think?

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Two things.

1. Showoff(nice link, though).

2. Yeah, but how many are nearly as inaccessible as these are? They gotta get brownie points for creativity, at least.

Why are all these sacred sites so hard to get to anyway? There's always 7,000 stairs or some such. You would think they would make it a little easier to communicate with the gods. Sort of a rhetorical question but sometimes I wonder about stupid things like that as religion baffles me. Seriously, there was one in the AA show where people die all the time trying to get to the top of this mountain and it's a block of ice.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join