It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luka Magnotta in a psychotic state when he killed Jun Lin, doctor says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
WARNING: This story contains graphic details

Luka Magnotta knew what he was doing — but did not know it was wrong — on the night he killed 33-year-old Jun Lin, says the psychiatrist who concluded the accused was in a psychotic state on May 25, 2012.

Forensic psychiatrist Dr. Marie-Frédérique Allard examined Magnotta for 23 hours over numerous days to come to her diagnosis, and she had access to extensive witness testimony, video entered into evidence and medical files.

"Mr. Magnotta suffers from schizophrenia; that illness was present on May 25, 2012, and it is responsible for the five charges against him," Allard told the court.

Allard explained there are two aspects to determining if someone is criminally responsible or not.

She concluded that Magnotta knew what he was doing — for example, by using a knife — but that his perception of whether this was right or wrong was skewed, since he had lost contact with reality because of his psychosis.

Allard told the court Magnotta was one of the most difficult patients she’s ever had to examine, because he tends to minimize his symptoms, which he prefers not to discuss.

"He doesn’t think he is as sick as he is," Allard testified, adding that in her opinion, "it’s clear" Magnotta suffers from schizophrenia.

Luka Magnotta in a psychotic state when he killed Jun Lin, doctor says

if there wasn't such a negative stigma attached to mental health, maybe Luka would have been treating his schizophrenia properly. He also wouldn't have been so hard to examine because he wouldn't have minimized his symptoms and may have been more comfortable talking about it.

Mental Illness is on the rise and is it any wonder. We are exposed to heavy metals, toxins, pesticides on a daily bases and the food has so much wrong with it.

We know that even if we aren't directly exposed, if our Grandparents were exposed, we have health issues:

Washington State University researchers say ancestral exposures to the pesticide methoxychlor may lead to adult onset kidney disease, ovarian disease and obesity in future generations.

Pesticide linked to three generations of disease: Methoxychlor causes epigenetic changes

Pregnant women, fetuses exposed to antibacterial compounds face potential health risks

BPA Substitute as bad as BPA? Exposure to BPA substitute causes hyperactivity and brain changes in fish

Even how stress effects the brain can be genetic. ((Maybe not in all cases but in some))

Our individual genetic make-up determines the effect that stress has on our emotional centres. These are the findings of a group of researchers from the MedUni Vienna. Not every individual reacts in the same way to life events that produce the same degree of stress. Some grow as a result of the crisis, whereas others break down and fall ill, for example with depression. The outcome is determined by a complex interaction between depression gene versions and environmental factors.

Genes determine traces that stress leaves behind on brains

What we need to do is eliminate all the unnecessary exposures that are harmful and stop the negative stigma to mental illnesses.
edit on 11 7 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

edit on 11 7 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

edit on 11 7 2014 by Sabiduria because: code

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

It doesn't matter if he was brain washed by aliens or he was completely normal person. He needs to be taken out of the general population. Pretty much all serial killers admit that if they were let out they would do it again. And I am sure if this dude was let out he would do it again.
What really gets me tho is if he knew what he was doing, and he was just in one of these 'hazes' I guess you could call it, then why did he take the - in today's standards - lengthy process to dismember, and mail body parts to people?
He knew what he was doing, and he knew it was wrong. He's just a psychopath, simple as that, think's he can get away with murder, get away with sentencing of a harsh crime, his smugness and arrogance shows this. Little does he now, even if he did get away with text book murder, his life will never, ever be free.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I saw the video of what he did as the link to it had been posted here when it happened.

He sure didn't give the impression of someone being psychotic, for all I know. He seemed very in control, methodical, and did what he did with a steady hand.

One thing is sure, he should never be let free again.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Sabiduria

It doesn't matter if he was brain washed by aliens or he was completely normal person. He needs to be taken out of the general population. Pretty much all serial killers admit that if they were let out they would do it again. And I am sure if this dude was let out he would do it again.
What really gets me tho is if he knew what he was doing, and he was just in one of these 'hazes' I guess you could call it, then why did he take the - in today's standards - lengthy process to dismember, and mail body parts to people?
He knew what he was doing, and he knew it was wrong. He's just a psychopath, simple as that, think's he can get away with murder, get away with sentencing of a harsh crime, his smugness and arrogance shows this. Little does he now, even if he did get away with text book murder, his life will never, ever be free.

I didn't say he should be allowed in general population. I said we need to address the negative stigma around mental illness and we need to get rid of unnecessary items that harms our health, or even future generations.

I don't think you really understand schizophrenia & the "haze" as you call it. Some people full on hallucinate in their "haze". Case and point, there was a guy in my town who was schizophrenic and one night he started to have a schizophrenic episode. First he heard voices and the voices lead him to his friend who was staying the night. The schizophrenic saw his friend as an alien and completely dismembered him. ((I know the details very well because in this small of a town, I'm friends with the schizophrenic guys cousin and his two best friends))

Growing up, my best friends Mom was schizophrenic and she would hallucinate as well as hear voices. The Mom would tell us when she saw people in the room who weren't there and sometimes told us the things the voices were telling her, it was pretty scary.

a reply to: NowanKenubi

I haven't seen the video but I have seen a schizophrenic person when they were having schizophrenic episodes (hearing voices and hallucinating) and aside from talking back to the voices, they can have a very steady hand. The person I knew would make lampshades when she was having a bad schizophrenic episode to keep herself from harming herself or her children. Her lampshades were flawless & she created patterns on her own that had perfect lines.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I think he's faking. It's just my opinion but after reading about this case for the last few years I really think he's a fame obsessed psychopath faking schizophrenia.

Don't forget his obsession with fame and with Karla Homolka that have been ongoing.

www.ottawacitizen.com...

And his kitten torture videos in 2011

www.cnn.com...

And this statement from a psychiatrist who had seen him previously and originally diagnosed him.

m.theglobeandmail.com...

That diagnosis was found in medical documents from Ross Memorial Hospital in Lindsay, Ont. A psychiatrist who saw him in April, 2001, referred to Magnotta as “a bizarre presentation” and couldn’t tell if he was faking. “I am not sure what we are dealing with,” Allard quoted the doctor’s notes as saying. “I have a feeling he is looking for some secondary gain but what I don’t know what exactly he is intending to get.”

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

I agree its a good thing i didn't see that video one war zone & seeing the deaths there is enough for me.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I don't know how long it takes to cut up a human body by oneself, but I always have a hard time with this type of diagnosis for crimes that take some time to perpetuate. Hopefully he gets the treatment he needs. They will most likely let him out in the general population in the future. I know a guy who stabbed his boyfriend 27 times because he wasn't being treated for mental illness. I was shocked to see him out walking at a local mall about 10 years later.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
He took all measures to flee to another continent and sent a vid or two as a taunt, I do think he knew what he was doing was wrong.. I do not buy it.
No doubt he is mentally ill though.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I agree with you that the most important conclusion to draw is the guy needs to be in a cage or otherwise removed from society where he can't kill more people.

I'd like to add that justice and revenge are entirely separate ideas. Justice is a victim being compensated for damage done to them along with changes being made to avoid the wrong from happening in the future. In this case, it cannot happen that the victim will be compensated, so full justice is not possible. The idea of punishment is an idea of revenge. I reject that any way and that doesn't help to make anything right. But, this person can be separated from society so there is no risk of it happening again.

I disagree he knew what he was doing was wrong. People's actions are ultimate proof of their philosophies and moral values. At the time the killing took place, it surely seemed like he thought the person to die more than he wanted the person to remain alive. And furthermore it seemed like none of his principles stopped him from the killing. So at best his principles were very weak and realistically they were not there. So, he didn't think to himself "wait, this is wrong" but rather "I feel like I should do this".

Simply saying you believe something is right or wrong is meaningless if you act exactly as if you believe what you are doing is right while saying to others you believe it is wrong.
edit on 7-11-2014 by wayforward because: (no reason given)

top topics

join