It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Obamacare Sink the Democrats?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Before the election I was thinking this election, more than anything else, will be a referendum on Obamacare - If the majority of people feel Obamacare is not in their best interests they will vote Republican or not vote at all. Seems to me Obamacare made no one happy. Republicans who were basically against any further intrusion into private health care of course were against it. The middle class found it sometimes will cost them more for insurance rather than less. And the lower economic classes are often still not covered as they removed the public option before passing the bill. And most important of all a few of the things Obama said about Obamacare turned out not to be true - many people could not keep their old health insurance like he said they would be able to.

So what do you think? Do you think the main reason for the current big victory over the Democrats was the result of Obamacare?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Democrats were sunk by a complete lack of leadership from the White House. That's all it boils down to. Bad decisions and good decisions are almost always better than no decisions and flip flop policy.
edit on 11/7/2014 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

It was the result of manipulation of the democratic process by TPTB. Now we have a Democrat POTUS who is a corporate puppet and a whole Congress full of corporate puppets from BOTH PARTIES.

I never thought I'd be that guy but,

THE END IS NIGH

You'll see how communist/liberal/anti american Obama is in the coming two years.

Are you guys ready for the full blown fascist takeover of America thanks to corporate corruption of BOTH PARTIES?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

It would be tempting to think so, but I'm not so sure. What seems to have turned the election was more about who didn't vote than who did. Its as though the Democrats simply couldn't excite the base.

In the final analysis, it may well have been a trifecta of bad news that influenced the election; slow economic recovery, disappointment over the ISIS situation in Iraq; incompetence in the handling of the Ebola situation; Obamacare, for the few that understood the issue; and most of all, the endless gridlock in Congress.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

If you like your policy, you can keep your policy.

If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.

Nah, I don't think it had much to do with it at all.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
More like dissatisfaction with everything this president has done and not done.

Republicans didn't want the aca.
Democrats didn't get the social programs he promised.
Blacks didn't get the better life he promised.
College kids didn't get the jobs he promised.
He didn't unite the country like he promised.

Pick your poison.

You can't blame bush for six years. Eventually you need to take the credit or blame for your leadership.
edit on 7-11-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
A lot of people are starting to become disenfranchised with Obama and his policies.
The only thing he has really done that he promised was the whole mess that is Obama care

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

So what do you think? Do you think the main reason for the current big victory over the Democrats was the result of Obamacare?

I think that was a small part of a bigger picture. IMHO the incentives were lacking, you know "I don't have to worry about paying may rent" kind of thing. The Democrat's didn't have anything to offer this round, so a lot didn't vote. So with that if you don't vote you can't complain...... Wait scratch that if you you didn't vote you (the party) got what was coming to them.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

It was the result of manipulation of the democratic process by TPTB.

Do you have any evidence of that or is that just more of your wild speculation stated as fact?

If you can prove that it would be VERY important information.
edit on 2014/11/7 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

You forgot about adding that to the savings of $2,500/family which is really a cost increase of $2,500/family if you don't qualify for subsidy.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

So you think our democratic process is completely free and devoid of propaganda and manipulation?

How does one PROVE something like this? It's obvious. It's the same thing that got Obama elected twice. Why else do you think McCain got hobbled with Palin? Why do you think they ran Romney?

They play games behind the scenes for long term goals. It's been on steroids since 9/11. It's crystallizing now. It will be compete in 2016 when Clinton and Bush are the only candidates.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Big turnout favors the Democrats. Low turnout favors the Republicans. It's an off-year election. A lot of areas didn't have a high profile race. State legislative races, maybe. DC House of Representatives, but gerrymandering pretty much makes all those races irrelevant, anyway.

I think the Democrats were a victim of the apathy that generally permeates elections and this one more than most.

IMO

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Has it ever occurred to you people, esp you liberals/progressives that just a whole lot of people do NOT agree with and don't want, not only Obamacare, but the rest of Obama's leftist policies. After 6 years, even some of those that voted for Obama in 08 and 12, finally got a clue as to the true utter worthlessness of Obama. He didn't have the slightest desire to actually govern, he just wanted the glory of the office. Instead of being somewhat reasonable, he chose to snuggle up to the far left and worked on getting their issues passed and didn't give a crap about the rest of us. People finally got wise. What a shame that he didn't. He had an opportunity to really start pulling the country back together after Bush, but instead he chose to destroy.

Yes, Bush left him with a mess, but he could have worked on fixing that mess and he would have had plenty of support from the middle class, but he chose instead to demand the hard working folks to give up their hard earned money to the useless, lazy people that whined and complained. We did have laws that prevented people from taking welfare and food stamp forever, but he struck out those laws. He destroyed healthcare and gave us a piece of crap in return that helped very few. He could have worked with the Republicans and they could have all come up with something that was beneficial to everybody, but he "won", so everybody else was to shut the hell up and sit down. So he basically ended up hurting many underprivileged people he said he wanted to help. He could have worked on our foreign policy and repair some the damage cause by Bush's wars, but instead he went on an "apologize for how terrible America is" tour around the world. And, yes, America has done some bad things, but the good she has done far outweighs the bad. And I'm not going to even get into the racism he has caused to explode since he's been in office. Excusing the thuggest behavior of Trevyon Martin and Michale Brown and tolerating the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to constantly throwing fuel on the racism fire to keep it burnings.

I know that I am not very eloquent and surely offending some, but a whole bunch of you don't give a fig if you insult and offend people that don't see things your way and I'm tired of being politically correct and no saying what I think for fear of offending someone. So, if you're offended, tough, live with it.

He is liar and a fraud and needs to be relieved of his duties - hell, he doesn't do them anyway. Give him a case of golf balls, charge up the golf cart, load up his clubs and that pig of a wife in beside him and banish him to the golf course. I'm pretty sure Biden could do a better job at governing. At least, he used to be a decent man, even though I didn't agree with him on much.
edit on 7-11-2014 by hotintexas because: misspellings, added a sentence of two

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Lots of things sank the Democrats.

And yes Obamacare was part of that.

But don't forget the IRS,Benghazi,Fast And Furious, and Amnesty, and the economy, and the absolute farce the 'war on terror was over' with the rise of ISIS.

Gitmo was still open, back room deals with Iran etc.

It wasn't any one thing. Everything that happened during the last 6 years was all on the table.

Some people voted the way they did because they had enough of 'hope, and change' which was nothing more than hype, and more of the same.

FAILURES.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Oh and to add.

Supreme Court to hear Obamacare subsidies case

Since we are on the 'Affordable' care Act.

And to remind people:

Scotus Smacks Down Obama Unanimously 13 Times

Maybe we are looking at number 14.

Like I said lots of things played their parts.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96
The REAL reason is the Republicans blocked everything Obama proposed. He tried to push his policies but the Republicans either blocked them or supported them halfway before running off at the end leaving him holding the bag. The Democrats failed to support him and bought into the gerrymandering from the Republicans, instead of holding tight with him, regardless of roadblocks.

In the end, voters got no direction from their Democratic leaders. Voters were also disinterested, disenfranchised and disheartened from the multitude of mixed messages (courtesy of empty Obama promises and devious Republican filibustering) and thus, failed at the polls.

IMO, the Republicans will fail long term because although they have more control now, they still don't have a cohesive plan for what they hope to impact, long term.

In the end, it's the common man and woman who ultimately suffer.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

How does one PROVE something like this?

I don't think you can. I was simply wondering why it was being stated as fact and not opinion.

I believe there are clandestine attempts to manipulate the public and the election, but that is only my opinion and I cannot prove it either. We agree.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

Really? How do you explain that nothing happened when Obama and the Democrats had control of both houses of Congress?
Oh the Republicans blocked this, oh the Republicans blocked that. We would have Utopia if those mean Republicans hadn't got in the way. Male cow feces!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

No.
Democrats lost because Harry Reid kept too many bills from votes making vulnerable Senators in red states appear to vote 99% with Obama and look less moderate than when they were elected and without evidence to the contrary.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Right after Obama took office, he had two years with a Democrat controlled Congress with filibuster proof majorities in BOTH houses. He could do whatever he wanted. That's how Obamacare got passed without any Republican votes. They didn't need any Republican votes and the Republicans couldn't block it with a filibuster if they tried, and they STILL needed to bribe members of their own caucus to get the thing passed.

But even so, after two years of full Democrat, unimpeded control, if the voters like what they were getting, you would have though the Democrats would have been rewarded in 2010 with continuing control of both houses of Congress. Instead, they were shellacked in the House and lost ground in the Senate and in state houses nationwide. If, as you say, it is solely Republican obstructionism to blame, then surely 2008 was the Democrats game to lose because they had no Republican obstructionism to worry about.

edit on 7-11-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join