It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

73,000 Home security cameras, open to the public (for a small fee)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This is such a shame. Lazy stupid rich (how) wont even change the default password on their own home security video cameras. It would be funny but of course theres no editor saying "ok lets leave them alone". Its almost exactly how Gary Mckinnon acessed the Navy , Nasa and the Pentagon. Wake up people! If you have bought anything that requires a password, do not leave it the way you bought it... Iphone, tablet, home security system, even a new car. Just letting you know, dont be like these people :

gizmodo.com... book&utm_medium=socialflow

and heres the kicker

insecam.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Its fun for a while to look at these sort of webcams but after a while looking at peoples kitchens etc it soon becomes rather boring, its been doable for ages and its a common 4chan thread to post anything of interest.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I've got cameras outside with a default password- but unless you can work out how to access them through the NAT, good luck.

Honestly, I'd love it if an army of internet kids were watching my cameras. Then one of them might actually catch something.

I can't say the cameras have ever got video of anything I want to see- but having them up there has reduced the number of crimes on my property significantly, since it's just dumb kids.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
wow 4chan is kinda cool, never knew about that until now . Thanks Maxatoria

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Speckle

Greetings Speckle!

I did not know about this so thanks for the info.

Wow, security and privacy are being tampered with big time.

I would have thought that if individuals were so conscious of security by having these cameras installed to help keep them safe in the first place would go to the trouble of checking in on such a basic vulnerability as the default passwords.

Personally, it is not in my moral code to go taking advantage and being a voyeur even behind a pc screen. It is not fair play. I would not click on beheading videos, leaked pictures, etc, either. Do unto others as you would want others to do unto you kind of logic behind that.

Ironic that these security cameras have made these people's lives and properties even less safe and certainly world wide public.

I like your display picture. I make dub reggae from my own little studio here in UK.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This is nothing new. From what I remember, there's a certain way to do an internet search for open, unsecured security cameras. One might find access to whole lists of such, if one was so inclined.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Speckle
wow 4chan is kinda cool, never knew about that until now . Thanks Maxatoria

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Somebodies watching me? They would find that reeeally boring.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Me, too. I'm almost catatonic, hah! It would be like watching an endless Andy Warhol movie.

A lot of the reason why data is collected on us all is actually used for algorithm development. Some people in high places would say that our world is already being controlled and generated by algorithms. This is going to figure increasingly in all our lives. Certainly in so many areas of industry, intelligence, security, finance, health, etc, this is becoming a standard. It is worth reading up about I guess and gives a very creepy future view of human society. Here is a Guardian article about that:

Guardian - "How Agorithms Rule The World"

edit on 7-11-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: link.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Hold on a second

" Lazy stupid rich (how) wont even change the default password on their own home security video cameras"

I have a Tenvis internet camera and stopping that from uploading images of my front door is not as easy as you think and that's even when I never subscribed to viewing the contents across the internet.

For a start these CCTV's from Tenvis bypass the local DNS server and without a firewall rule that blocks outbound traffic from the camera in the router from these devices and monitoring the SysLogs then few if anyone would know what going on.

I contacted Tenvis about this and asked why the camera was bypassing the DNS setting past to it from the DHCP server and instead connecting to Google on 8.8.8.8:53 only to get a answer back about Google being a good DNS server.

Password or no password these devices are uploading large amounts of data and it won't just be Tenvis that gets to read the data as it crosses the worlds internet and I am not sure that even you would had know this without me pointing it out to you.

Just one more reason to get yourself a hardware firewall wifi router and the other reason is because AT&T plus Verizon are now injecting super cookies into the HTTP Request and then selling anyone that reads the open public cookie your private details and that would include not just your name and address but also your telephone number.

HTTP Injected cookie

Nice because not only can the perverts get to see your wife's bits but they can now pay a fee to Verizon and giver her a call
edit on 7-11-2014 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

It is worth reading up about I guess and gives a very creepy future view of human society.

I know, huh? Who put the control freaks in charge?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Old news is old.

if your google fu is strong. you can look at a slew of websites with tips on how to use google to search for these open cams.

stumbled on a cat day care once. lol

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
This is nothing new. From what I remember, there's a certain way to do an internet search for open, unsecured security cameras. One might find access to whole lists of such, if one was so inclined.

Yes and your ISP would know what you are doing in an instant but they won't lift a finger to stop you because they themselves are doing the same if you chuck away the free (Good for nothing) router they give you that come with backdoors built in just for them.

This is why I port map all unwanted inbound traffic to a bogus IP address on the LAN and then run software to reverse lookup (Often won't work, blocked by ISP) the IP Address from the routers Sys-Logs and also perform a Whois on the remote IP

Yes I am paranoid because I have the skills to see if anyone is watching me and they are !
edit on 7-11-2014 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have a ton of cameras because we have 5 kids here and 7 acres. I'm too old to run outside to check to see whose arm got ripped off every time someone screams only to find they are just playing... loudly.. lol. I will never have to worry about the above because all my cameras are hardwired and have no internet access. Someone is always home so I don't need to check on them when I'm away. I guess I'm even more paranoid so I don't want them online at all lol.

Lil

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

I have a ton of cameras because we have 5 kids here and 7 acres. I'm too old to run outside to check to see whose arm got ripped off

You maybe too old but your not too old for something else are you mate !

Sounds like a RJ45 cat5 network and I try to use wired when I can myself and isolate the connection using a VLan in the router but if you don't do it that way then its not worth doing because the weak link of the wifi would open up the wired connections.

Plugging baby monitors into electrical sockets as a network is not a good move as many mothers have found out.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

thats exactly the issue and perhaps it
gets worse

new topics

top topics

join