It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush Limbaugh: the GOP was elected to block, not to govern!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I don't disagree with him.

What is it that he said that's so wrong?

Obama DOESN'T care about constitutional law and people want Republicans to stop him.

Woop de doo. I don't get the outrage.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18634296]Aloysius the Gaul[/p
This might be slightly of topic but i need to know . So if i have this right , halfway through your presidents term they hold elections where the balance of power shifts to the opposition . If so would not your government be potentially useless for half their term .

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Congress is more than potentially useless- bar for the interests of the top one percentile; but yes you can look forward to 2 years of nothing but gridlock,childish point scoring and dysfunctional behaviour.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Its not my government but like they say ,the USA sneezes and the world catches a cold . Hamstringing your government for 2 years seems kind of dumb . Respect

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

So if i have this right , halfway through your presidents term they hold elections where the balance of power shifts to the opposition .
Not always. But in this case, yes. The opposition has gained control of both branches of the legislature. This does not mean that they get their own way but it does mean that they can determine which bills will come up for a vote. They can effectively kill a bill but not necessarily pass a bill. Their majority is not great enough to do that and they know it.

If so would not your government be potentially useless for half their term .
As far as new legislation goes, yes. Potentially. But if those Republicans want to stay in the catbird seat they may want to temper their approach.

The essence of what Limbaugh said is correct. The only thing the Republicans can "do" is be obstructionist. That being the reason they were elected (his claim) is probably not correct.

edit on 11/7/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So if i have got this right ,the midterm elections are kind of a way for the people to put the brakes on a government they are not happy with .

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Every election is that.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

So why have a 4 year term if you can possibly be screwed at the half way mark . It cant be money as you have 2 yearly elections as it is . Mind you here we have 4 year terms but you potentially can have an election at any time . Politics , next i will be on a religious forum . And its not even my country .

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

So why have a 4 year term if you can possibly be screwed at the half way mark .

The President has a 4 year term. And can only serve two terms.

Members of the House have 2 year terms, and member of the Senate have 6 year terms. This arrangement provides for a certain amount of continuity in the elected government while allowing lots of opportunity for change. Since House elections occur on odd years and Senate elections occur on even years, it means that at most there can be a 1/3 turnover in representation on any given election.

I'm not sure an election "at any time" which can provide a whole new batch is a better idea. I can sympathize with the idea, believe me, but from a practical standpoint I have my doubts.

edit on 11/7/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

It's more than a cold. You better get ready.

The idea that Republicans will be saving the country is ludicrous. Obama is pretty much a Republican and he is ready to go to work for big money. Limbaugh is a fool and has no understanding of anything.

He is correct only in that the Republicans won't govern. They will just be giving the ruling moneyed elite what they paid for. Obama will not veto much of anything. They are on the same side.

Seriously get ready, this is the beginning of the end. Clinton will get elected in 2016 and make Bush and Obama both look like patriots. Maybe I'm wrong but all the signs are pointing that way. The NWO is in its endgame now. No nation is safe.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Correction we have 3 year terms . My bad .

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

If you are referring to your national debt that is truly frightening . Are you suggesting that when your govt goes broke the bankers will bail it out in exchange for power .

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

RUSH has a tendency to let his " SHILL " shine through at times.

But if what he said is what the GOP does then there handing the POTUS to Hillary...which truthfully does not surprise me in the least.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The essence of what Limbaugh said is correct. The only thing the Republicans can "do" is be obstructionist. That being the reason they were elected (his claim) is probably not correct.

I agree that the essence of what he said is correct. What platform did the GOP run on? Overturning Obamacare. Stopping Obama. They didn't have ANY governing in their campaign at all, just stopping Obama. The GOP has nearly 6 years of practice at obstructionism with this president. They're very good at it. And the hatred of this president is at an all-time high, so it was a pretty smart campaign. It's why they won.

I don't know WHY people voted for the GOP. They want to support 0% taxes for corporations? They want less pay? Another economic disaster? More war? They want to stop the recovery? They want the GOP to "save us" from Obama's "lawlessness"? They'll get that and more if we elect a Republican in 2016. I have given up trying to figure out why people vote against their own interest. But there will be no governing.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Here's an interesting click show about corporations and their taxes paid.

They pay big

Introduction

The United States has the highest corporate tax rate in the world, at 35%. Add in state and local taxes and it averages 40%. No wonder America's most profitable, highest taxed companies will stop at nothing to keep their earnings overseas and out of the grasp of Uncle Sam. Here's a list of the 25 megacorps that pay megataxes...All data reflects trailing 12 months to April 1, 2013. Via FactSet Research Systems.

edit on Nov-07-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

That's just their tax rate, not how much they actually paid. It doesn't account for loopholes, which are numerous. I'd be fine with the current tax rates if they would just PAY them, instead of weaseling out of them.

26 Top American Corporations Paid NO Federal Income Taxes

Twenty-six of the most powerful American corporations – such as Boeing, General Electric, and Verizon – paid no federal income tax from 2008 to 2012, according to a new report detailing how Fortune 500 companies exploit tax breaks and loopholes.
Defenders of low corporate taxes call the US federal statutory rate of 35 percent one of the highest companies face in any nation. But the report signals how the most formidable corporate entities in the US take advantage of tax breaks, loopholes, and accounting schemes to keep their effective rates down.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You have to actually click through the window

It shows the actual figures for those companies.

They pay big tax dollars.

Your RT article is BS. Terrible example of desperation.

edit on Nov-07-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's going to 180 in Senate action,

Where Reid blocked bills from going to Whitehouse for political reasons.

Republicans will flood the Whitehouse with bills.

Quoting Truman, "The buck stops here" for Obama.

In that case who's obstructing?

Proof will be forth coming.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Reid is part of the corporatist Democrats which have corrupted the party and more rightfully should be Republican. Obama is one of those. Just watch how much gets passed. Obama will be busy signing more laws intended to screw Americans over.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: Phoenix

Reid is part of the corporatist Democrats which have corrupted the party and more rightfully should be Republican. Obama is one of those. Just watch how much gets passed. Obama will be busy signing more laws intended to screw Americans over.

Do you think Obama should switch parties to save his jilted legacy?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join