It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's SAD season. How are you coping?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

It's SAD season. How are you coping?

Last night, the temp unexpectedly dropped about 20 degrees! I sobbed uncontrollably for about an hour.
It's really cold today, and I'm just so depressed, so weary, I can barely summon the strength to sigh.

Just kidding. I love winter. The ice cold wind slapping me in the face makes me feel alive!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

If you are having troubles with depression and are not interested in medication or the various worts and roots to ingest to cope with the depression, then please shoot me a PM.

It's something I deal with cyclically and SAD certainly doesn't help. Things get so much better and i hope you the best if you wish no further contact.

Regards

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

So true, being active and doing something about it will always help.
I notice that some people make up excuses not to be active.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

edit on 9-11-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
i agree with getting active it definitely helps! I suffer depression and anxiety and my iron levels are 3 and vitamin D is super super low too I forget the number but I always forgot too take my supplements but through winter it is hell im so glad we are just coming in too Summer now in Australia I am already feeling a lot better! But anyway I find the more active I try to be and I push my self but I am so glad I do because the more active I am the day before the happier and more energy I have the next day its crazy how it works like that but it does.. Exercising produces more energy for you its the best thing you can do for your physical and mental health.
Like I said I know its really hard I find it hard to get up some days but if you just push yourself don't think about it just do it it helps a lot.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

edit on 9-11-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I too suffer from depression, but I try real hard to make the choice to do something about it by keeping active. I work and never miss a day when I am feeling down and out. I have to make the choice to keep going, it's not easy most time but I seem to break pass that plateau, sorta speak. I too was once on meds but I haven't been for years now. Being self aware and people that are close to you that are understanding help.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Is there an opposite of SAD? It seems taboo and socially unacceptable to dislike hot, humid weather and the blazing sunshine, but that's what I hate and make me feel depressed - give me chilly winters and beautiful colourful moody autumns any day. The skies also look stunning at this time of year - the sunsets are majestic between October and December.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I do seem to go through a worse depression this time of year. I also suffer from bad ocd and winter in mn can suck. Some of the things that work for me are vit d, b12, fish oil, nac, and playing bball. Although I don't like ssri they are necessary for me with mirtazapine my current medication. I do see a psychologist for my anxiety and depression and it seems to help. I have smoked a lot of weed in the past but it just makes everything go to #. Light therapy is something that I will look in to.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Test post as when I try to edit above comment it brings up blank page.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
and it has failed.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Some excellent advice in here!

For me (when I'm not cooped up in the office...which doesn't help btw) I try to sit by the windows more if I'm inside, be out as much as possible. Like someone said, even filtered sunlight is good. If I start to get really bad, I'll do something which requires concentration (anything from drawing or writing, to playing video games or reading) just to keep my mind busy and not let it go to THAT place.

What I also find quite therapeutic, and this is totally just me (though one of my friends also gets SAD and says it helps her too), is to just spend one day every few weeks totally letting it just wash over me. I'll be miserable, and down, and just absolutely let it wreck me. For one day. Day after, back on the therapy and duking it out with the monkey so many of us have to carry on my back.
The reason I spend a day wallowing in SAD is because it is a battle. A daily battle. And fighting it 24/7 for the entirety of the winter months is just as draining as SAD. I like to take a day off, let SAD think it's winning, while I fall back, regroup and then go back on the offensive

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: virraszto
It's that time again when I'm knee deep in SAD.

Seasonal Affective Disorder.

The lack of sunlight really sends me into hibernation mode.
Dark, and gloomy days means I'm fighting with all my might
to stay awake through out the day.
Some people experience milder symptoms, but for some
it can be debilitating.

I've got three 10,000 lux SAD light boxes in one 20x20 room
that I leave on all day and that's in addition to 3 regular
lamps.

Most people who have SAD are deficient in Vit D, so I take that
along with magnesium.

I don't take antidepression meds for SAD. I've tried them before
and they don't work for me.

So far, this year, I'm not having much success with the light boxes and/or
Vit D/magnesium.
For people like me, it's a long way until spring gets here.

How are you coping with your SAD?

I also have a light box which I use every morning as soon as I wake up. I take about 5000iu of Vitamin D as well, but what I find that truly works the most? Making sure that I workout at least 3 times a week. I'm not sure if working out helps process the vitamin D better or what but if I don't hit the gym I'll be feeling grim. Also, hitting the tanning bed once a week really perks me up.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i live in sunny Arizona desert that is nearly always sunny (avg 85% sunshine) I find if we have the occasional rainy day it makes everyone more cheerful since it is so rare.
I do get depressed and stressed but it isn't weather related, I did read that in the Northwest where it rains so much they think it has an affect on increased depression as well as crime is higher!
If you are real depressed maybe you should take a quick trip here, it's hard to feel gloomy when it's fall, sunny and 80 deg F.
Hope you feel better soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join