It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Heading Towards Alaska This Weekend- Near Record Low Pressure System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

A powerful storm is slated to move over the Bering Sea this weekend, possibly becoming one of the most intense storms to ever impact the region. The former Super Typhoon Nuri is forecast to track northward into the Bering Sea, located in between Alaska and Russia, on Friday, losing its tropical characteristics as it does so.

At this point, the system will undergo rapid intensification, producing howling winds as the central pressure plummets to near record levels.
Due to the massive size of the storm, impacts can be felt hundreds of miles away from the storm's center through much of the weekend.
Large waves and hurricane-force winds are expected to be the highest impacts with waves in some areas topping 45 feet Friday night and into Saturday.

AccuWeather.com meteorologists believe that this system could become one of the most intense storms to move over the Bering Sea.
The central pressure of this system is forecast to drop below 930 millibars on Friday night.
To put this in perspective, the lowest pressure recorded in Hurricane Sandy was 940 millibars.

I wonder what this will do to the jet stream...

Weather Report

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well, I'm not an expert when it comes to the weather (particularly that in that area of the world), but I know enough to realise 930 isobars is pretty damn low.

Hope it passes without anybody being hurt.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

Well, right now we've have 50+ gusts in Blaine, Washington. Right at the Canadian border on the coast. That's a fair distance from the Bering Sea...LOL.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Pretty sure I will be impacted here in Idaho, in one way or another... so, rainy and crappy with more rainy and crappy yet to come...

wonderful...

The Northwest... you don't tan... you rust

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is heading for my homeland, and town of many of my family members. I will be keeping an eagles eye on this, and praying for my family out in Dutch Harbor. Does anyone know if this has the ability to pick up amounts of radioactive material/objects from the Japanese coast and drop them off over here in Alaska? My mom was telling me about the last time she saw a storm like that in Dutch, all the boats were being swept away and sunk. People's belongings floating in the bay and on the beach. I hope they get the help that they need from our "loving" government. I know that if this storm was on the east coast, Obama would have the army locked and loaded to start war with Mother Nature.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

If you're a fan of rain, wind and general crappy weather you should try my dear home, Scotland.

We patented horizontal rain here

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: safetymeeting

No way of knowing about the radioactivity from Fuku problem; the radiation sites I follow don't have anyone monitoring it up there.

Hopefully your local government will be quick on the ball afterwards to help with whatever needs doing; the federal government tends not to think of people in Alaska that much, I fear.

We'll get the remnants of it down here in Oregon but I'm far enough inland not to be worried; it will skim over the coastal range mountains, the valley where I am, and over the tops of the Cascades and just take out some trees and not that much else. Astoria took a while to recover from their last 100 mph storm though, and it caused major damage to the standing forests along the coastline.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
Pretty sure I will be impacted here in Idaho, in one way or another... so, rainy and crappy with more rainy and crappy yet to come...

wonderful...

Lol, Mac. There was a joke in Portland Oregon that you couldn't have a white car for long; they would get covered with algae after just one winter and turn green.

Miss your voice on the show, get back on when you can....

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Will be back soon, I promise... just been a strange couple of months. The only thing missing was a plague of toads

Edit to add: And another pacific storm...

edit on 6-11-2014 by madmac5150 because: My cat has gas

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Maybe the wind will blow away any toads...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
OMG! what about the Deadliest catch guys??!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Those scallywags will make it through anything
a reply to: Caver78

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire

Maybe the wind will blow away any toads...

Toads, locusts, Justin Bieber fans... let it blow

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Keep us informed and I just want to send my hopes for this to pass without too much destruction for humans, animals,aquatics and plant life. I do not really understand what this low pressure is or means but I fully comprehend tidal waves.

Be safe and hope your family is well informed and prepared.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

"Despite the moderation, freezing temperatures are possible along the upper Gulf Coast from northeast of Houston to northern Florida late next week," Pastelok said.
For folks not ready for winter, there is some indication that the cold weather will ease prior to Thanksgiving.
The weather pattern forecast to send the polar vortex on a southward plunge can be traced back to the western Pacific Ocean, where Typhoon Nuri curved east of Asia earlier this week.
According to Senior Meteorologist Brett Anderson, "In brief, when a typhoon curves away from Asia it causes the jet stream [steering winds] farther to the east across the Pacific and into North America to buckle and amplify days later."

Little Sister is telling folks to have their wood ready...

From your link in the OP:

www.accuweather.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The great storm of 1913, almost to the day with this storm that is promising to become something of a monster itsself. I asked about the pressure in the above post and discovered some frightening news about the pressure of that deadly storm 100 years ago and the one headed our way this weekend and early next week. I have to say that the OP was shocking, but now it looks even far more grim to me as I discover what this means for a very widespread area and wonder if it is going to be causing a lake affect emergency again? Tell me if I am off, I do realize the storm from 1913 was when the arctic/polar cold met with the Atlantic moisture, but this seems even more dangerous to me.

By the evening of November 9th, the storm deepened to a very intense central pressure of approximately 28.60 inches (969 millibars) as it tracked north-northwest to eastern Lake Erie. At the same time, strong Arctic high pressure (30.54 inches) was approaching northwest Minnesota. The proximity of the two weather systems resulted in strengthening of the pressure gradient between them, producing a prolonged and intense wind across the Great Lakes. The storm finally began to weaken on November 10th and shifted to the St. Lawrence Valley on November 11th

Please read more:
theconservativetreehouse.com...
www.regions.noaa.gov...
edit on pm1130pmThu, 06 Nov 2014 22:02:58 -0600 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
We got a couple of people from Alaska here on ATS. Hopefully they can keep us informed about the storm as it hits up there. I suppose if it is bad, they will lose power, but they are used to that. But, no power, no internet access.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
As a self-confessed armchair meteorologist, I couldn't help wondering what would cause Nuri to strengthen after losing its tropical characteristics over cold water. Typically, a tropical system intensifies when it's fed by warm waters and warm, moist air. Then, found this.

As of late Thursday evening U.S. time, Nuri was undergoing a tropical transition and was centered over 800 miles northeast of Tokyo. Nuri is expected to join up with the polar jet stream and a very strong disturbance in the mid-latitude belt of westerly winds...

So, it looks like Nuri is teaming up with the disturbance that you see circled in white.

Best thoughts for all our Alaskan brothers. 'Hope you ride it out safely and well.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

wonderful...

Exactly lol. Shocking it's sunny now on the WA/ID boarder, but for how long.

Stay safe Alaska.
edit on 7-11-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Saw this on the news this morning.
And they were telling us that it is going to affect us, here in the mitten and other mid states, for a dang month. A month of anywhere between 10 and 50 degrees below normal temperatures.

So basically, like last year.

But I do feel for all of those in Alaska. Stay warm and stay safe.
Maybe this isn't the "Polar vortex" ? But they were talking about it and Alaska in the same story. Confusing weather people!
edit on 7-11-2014 by chiefsmom because: addition

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join