It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The State of the American Worker

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
KCRW

She talks about how the wages have gotten so low in the us that manufacturers are coming back to the U.S. because it's no longer cheaper to manufactur in other countries like Canada. Great... That's fantastic, our wages are so low now we're the slave class. That should tell you something.

The president may say the state of our union is strong, but the state of the American worker is not. Workers here are under siege. In an age of globalization and rapid technological change, wages have gone stagnant, retirement prospects are uncertain, and middle class security seems increasingly out of reach.

How can we assure everyday Americans can find good jobs at decent wages? How do we deal with the soaring costs of healthcare and college? What are the answers for the retirement crisis looming with millions of workers barely able to get by today - let alone put aside money for their golden years?

And what’s the role of unions in all this?

My guest is Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the fastest growing union in North America with 2.1 million members in healthcare, public and property services. Henry says the fast-food worker strikes and growing public frustration with extreme inequality makes her optimistic about prospects for social change. She notes that labor leaders used to have good relationships with top Republicans, and argues that the country has lost a space for pragmatic dialogue since these ties have frayed.

She also explains what labor leaders do all day.

Oh this podcast is great. I love it. She really goes into a lot of topics we talk about in regards to this topic here. I love her perspective.

She says it's fine if some of the cost of wage increases will be offset by corporations but it'll be ok because more of that money will be circulate in the local economy.

She talks about unions, how our economy is mostly low wage service sector, out of control Tuiton fees, social mobility. Oh yeah it's good.

edit on 11/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I was watching the Mclaughlin Group about two weeks ago and they had a peice on there about an economist who had pessimistic feelings about the future of the economy saying that the baby boomers are going to or are leaving the workforce and he see's production going down because we wont hvae enough people to support the loss of the baby boomer workforce. if I have that right.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher

I was watching the Mclaughlin Group about two weeks ago and they had a peice on there about an economist who had pessimistic feelings about the future of the economy saying that the baby boomers are going to or are leaving the workforce and he see's production going down because we wont hvae enough people to support the loss of the baby boomer workforce. if I have that right.

I can agree with that. The mill I work at is getting ready to lose a lot of the original people that have worked here for the last 20 or 30 years and taking their experience with them. They're already talking about cutting back production and maybe a lay off till the people left get a bit more experience.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

And for being a slave class I'll clear about 28k this year after a lot of overtime. That's considered ok pay for around here but with a wife and two kids not so much.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Then why aren't there more entry level jobs available?

Or do they just plan on going overseas?

Where are these companies at, what regions?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DisIllusioned PatRiot

Well hopefully your wife makes some money and that hard work pays off eventually.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yeah. Only thing I'll add is retirement prospects are not uncertain. It will certainly be non existent for our children. Unfortunately so many people are so fixated on the number of dollars people make, rather than what that dollar is worth.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Actually it's not the wages it's the quality and security. We have a big war on the horizon of less than about 15 years out and we need to prepare

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

It's going to happen in less then ten years. Just wait till more kids graduate college with no hope for the future.

And I'll be standing there with them leading the way.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

And I'll be standing there with them leading the way.

Lol.
Thank you I needed a good laugh.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I knew you'd be here in no time adding nothing of any worth!

I actually thought about just throwing the perspective of the top ten responders in this subject line of threads right into the op but chose against it.

Thesaneone, "herpdaderp"

Nope nothing of value, ever. Thanks though.
edit on 11/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

So tell me how are you going to lead them?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I'm going to teach people how to fight, and about how boxing and MMA strategies are developed and trained.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

And how will that help them financially?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I'm going to teach people how to fight, and about how boxing and MMA strategies are developed and trained.

I seem to see you posting frequently about how learning to fight is the answer, and that getting an education only hurts people's futures. Yet, that doesn't seem to have worked out for you (or if it has, why still complain frequently about minimum wage and available jobs?) Have you considered it might be time to try a new approach?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

What are you talking about? I talk about the costs of education I think education is great and learning how to fight is great and even greater for others who need it the most. It's great for discipline, confidence, and learning about yourself. It's also great for self defense.

Why don't you add something creative? Or do you just want to talk about me?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Add something of substance to the thread, troll.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

It's also great for self defense.

So is a pistol, and it is much cheaper.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Add something of substance to the thread, troll.

So you don't have an answer, that's all you had to say.

I also love how you call people a troll who don't agree with your constant crying.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Your another one. You have any substance to add or are you just trolling like everyone else?

Troll, troll, troll.

Didn't even listen to the podcast, didn't have any insights to add to what the subject of the podcast was, non of it. Just came here to throw your ego around.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join