It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama writes to Iran's ayatollah about ISIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

President Obama sent a letter to Iran's Supreme Leader last month expressing the two countries' shared interest in beating ISIS, according to two sources briefed on the correspondence. The letter, sent in October to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, conveyed that there is a shared interest in combating ISIS, but said resolving the talks regarding Iran's nuclear program was a main impediment to greater cooperation, the sources told CNN. One source added it was "the major" impediment. The Wall Street Journal first reported about the letter on Thursday.

So there ya have it, the enemy of my enemy....

Of course the Administration will not officially acknowledge that the letter was sent & according to nameless sources neither Israel or the Gulf states were notified of the secret letter. So transparent this president is.

The shared interest of defeating IS doesn't mean the US will actually work with Iran. I guess Obama just wanted to, I dunno, create a dialogue with Iran's Supreme Leader.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

That's really what it sounds like. Especially since the two, ISIS and the Ayatollah, follow different religions so its not like the Ayatollah can have any influence beyond war.

The whole letter in general is rather stupid.. we would work with you but - ya know.. we don't think you should have any freedom!

lol.
edit on 6-11-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Why should Israel and the Gulf states be notified because Obama sent Iran a letter? We don't have to report everything we do to those nations.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

They don't follow two different religions. They are two sides of the same coin.

Monumental mistake for the president to have chosen a side this way.

imo

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I guess he can't say he learned about it on the news.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
US isn`t going to really corporate with the enemy and Iran neither.

- Iran big ally of Syria (both need to go according Saudi Arabia, Israel and the US)

- Iran big ally of Russia (also needs to go somehow)

- Saudi Arabia big ally of the US, and big enemy of Iran and Syria

So ain`t going to happen.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername
It was a big mistake to pick the side of the country that hasnt invaded anyone since the persian empire, is willing to fight ISIS whom the US claimed was a "direct threat" to the world, and allows sunni muslims, christians, jews, and zoroastrians to practice their religions freely

...a big mistake to pick them over ISIS? The guys killing men women and children of all religions?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Iran is not an enemy of the US, they are an enemy of central banks and the military industrial complex is foaming at the mouth just thinking about the profits that await them when they get the go-ahead to solve the problem for the central banks.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Ridhya

Big mistake yes, for an outside government to choose a side in this. A Sunni Shiite very old conflict.

The USA opposes the Shiite aligned Alawite regime in Syria, supports a Sunni led uprising against that Assad regime, while the ayatollah and Iran support the Assad regime, as well as the often brutal Shiites in Iran... In short it exponentially complicates the mess that is the middle east.

Which side is the "great Satan"really on?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername
Theoretically I agree, that we shouldnt be involved AT ALL, as we have a habit of making the middle east worse off than it starts... and when we take sides we run the risk of ire from the butthurt side...

But in this the Saudis and Turks along with other alleged allies are supporting ISIS, the butchers of all people...

Iran is not good now no, but I see them like a damn good investment. Their old dogmatic rulers are dying off, and the youth are just as liberal and rational as we are. In a few years they will be a strong, great nation... we should set the groundwork for future cooperation now while not actively supporting them, and get ready to dump the "allies" who do us more harm than our enemies!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Just saw a foodie show of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations trip to Iran and I must say of all the nations in that area their young are the ones who seemed most familiar to us,but are kept artificially restrained by their fundies this Ayatollah came to power on their behalf off course he is kept in check by said fundies so I can understand seeking to develop useful links,not to mention they are doing away with their Nuke program.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
A love letter - no doubt...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Iran is the central enemy of the Sunnis and they have being that for years. The Gulf Regime states would stop at nothing to remove Iran as Super Power player in the future.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: BABYBULL24
A love letter - no doubt...

I am quite sure a love letter from the Saudis would be better dont you agree?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Considering many people think Israel controls the US gov't, and in similar respects, Saudi Arabia as well to some degree. Truth is it's well known what kind of stranglehold Israel has had over its allies.

But conspiracies aside, not notifying Israel just goes to show ya how US & Israel relations are declining. But then again, everyone is officially keeping hush hush about this secret letter so who knows if that is the reality of the situation.

new topics

top topics

join