It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: United States flip-flops on UN chief Annan, says it wants him to stay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Expressing confidence in the administration of embattled UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, the United States indicated that he should stay at the helm of the world body. This abrupt turn around came less than a week after a U.S. Senator called for his resignation. The support for Annan, came from outgoing U.S. Ambassador John Danforth who said he was speaking on behalf of President George W. Bush.

story.news.yahoo.com
UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The United States expressed confidence in UN Secretary General Kofi Annan on Thursday and said he should remain at the helm of the United Nations, an abrupt turnaround from its refusal to back him last week after a U.S. senator called for his resignation.

The unequivocal support from U.S. Ambassador John Danforth, who said he was speaking on behalf of President George W. Bush's administration, aligned the United States with the 190 other members of the United Nations who rallied to support the beleaguered Annan.

"We are not suggesting or pushing for the resignation of the secretary general," Danforth said. "We have worked well with him in the past and look forward to working with him for some time in the future."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder what that is all about. If anybody needs to lose their job its Annan. The oil for food debacle along should be enough to oust him. Combine it with the lack of action in the Sudan and Rwanda, one has to wonder at what point would they ask him to leave? Perhaps the rumors of Bill Clinton seeking the post were enough to force the abrupt change in administration policy.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
If Annan stays in Charge, the Hate Campaign agains the UN can continue.
And the Anti UN Feeling in the USA is a welcome Diversion from the Iraq Desaster.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsuribito
If Annan stays in Charge, the Hate Campaign agains the UN can continue.
And the Anti UN Feeling in the USA is a welcome Diversion from the Iraq Desaster.

The debacle that is the UN is not the US's fault. I doubt if Annan left the anti UN feeling would go away at any rate.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   

From the article:
Danforth said the worst thing the United Nations could now do is not co-operate with the investigation.

In his remarks last week, Coleman, a Minnesota Republican, said Annan presided over the "greatest fraud and theft" in the history of the United Nations. Two weeks ago, the U.S. Senate permanent subcommittee on investigations which he chairs said it had uncovered evidence deposed Iraqi president Saddam Hussein government raised more than $21.3 billion US in illegal revenue by subverting UN sanctions and the oil-for-food program.

Makes me wonder if while uncovering evidence they uncovered anything else that could be enough to suddendly squash the investigation. At least you gotta give the administration credit for giving Annan the benefit of the doubt until the investigation is conclusive. I am sure they will spend lots of time at the crime scene, roping off the evidence for weeks or months with proverbial police tape. I would have given the administration the same benefit of the doubt on 911. Unfortunately- no evidence, no investigation. And as another thread on ATS points out- no one held accountable.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Its possible, and the sudden turn around does lend credence to your theory. However, why would the Senator pop off about it if they wanted to keep something quiet. Perhaps they made a deal with Kofi and now own him? Anything is possible.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Well true, I suppose. On the other hand, ya gotta figure that $21.3 billion is a pretty good chunk of change. If you can see where I am going with that.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   
No surprising they might actually have to listn to the UN if the replacement is a white guy... like this they can point and laugh at him, and just generally ignore him, 'coz he is black. Yes the WASPS (every single president of the US was a White Anglo Saxon Protestant, exept Kennedy who was White A/S and Catholic. They killed him) are in charge and they don't like people of colour, well.. they don't like anyone really.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The current US administration is ten times more corrupt than the UN could ever hope to be. This oil for food thing won't be looked into too deeply. The neo-cons will manipulate it for some political points from their intellectually incurious base, but no true investigation will ever come to light. Any further scrutiny would hurt the people who illegally traded with Saddam the most, the US.

new topics

top topics

join