posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:45 AM
a reply to: arpgme
Well, proselytizing shouldn't be illegal, but that doesn't mean it is polite, effective or appropriate in most situations. There is a difference
between law and society, crime and morals, and these should be strictly divided. I think the reason maybe Christians especially are worried when
people speak out against proselytizing is because they have a habit themselves of trying to use the law to proscribe moral issues and therefore they
are afraid the same might be done to them.
If we had a mutual respect for one another, moral issues would never make it into legislative arenas and things like who you want to marry, a woman's
medical concerns, what drugs you want to put into your body, who you want to worship, how you want to raise your children, and what you want to say/do
peacefully in public would never become legal issues in the first place.
Here is the real secret to this life. If your ideas are superior and your morals are virtuous, then they will be able to defend themselves in the
marketplace of ideas. They won't need the law to stand behind them. I don't need to pass a law to get people to agree with gravitation. It exists. I
don't need to pass a law to get people not to cannibalize one another, for the most part, people have an innate understanding of fairness and
empathy. I only need the law to proscribe those things that are alien to people. No sodomy: you need a law. No drugs: you need a law. No immodesty:
you need a law, and the reason you need a law is that most people accept that this is our life and we should be able to do what we desire with it. It
takes a meddlesome petty tyrant to cross the line and to say that those things should be verboten.
The most successful legal systems in history have been those that reflected the natural virtues and norms of the people instead of imposing alien ones
upon them. When 51% of the people tell the other 49% what they can and cannot do with their own limited time and resources on this planet, something
has gone amiss. And that works both ways. We should not be proscribing limits on the peaceful liberties of Christians and neither should they to us.