It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost Universes Kill Schrodinger's Quantum Cat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ghost Universes Kill Schrodinger's Quantum Cat

I wish I could do justice to this article and explain it like someone with a PHD. could.

I just wanted to post the link and make a couple comments;

The synopsis of this link is that 'quantum waveform' does not need to be treated
like a 'real thing' in this variant which is similar to the Many World's Interpretation
of Quantum Mechanics. There is no 'waveform collapse' like in the Copenhagen
Interpretation. Also, there is none of the "a new universe is created with every
'observation' type of stuff, which annoys a lot of people's sensibilities.

This article posits that all these paralell worlds exist simultaneously, and are in
fact bumping into each other constantly. This is a very subtle effect however
so only on the very smallest scale is the effect seen.

Now, the researchers haven't fully 'cloned' existing quantum mechanics with this
theory.. i.e long-range entanglement and other quantum weirdness cannot all
be replicated yet.

But I find this a very fascinating line of research, and in fact this very thing has
been my personal opinion for more than 30 years.. of course that and a buck
fifty won't buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Now if this hypothesis was actually correct, then perhaps we'd throw out such
concepts as dark matter entirely.. that this theory would be another explanation
just like MOND say (modified Newtonian dynamics)... anything which better
explains gravity might do away with dark matter entirely.

I'm just saying this might be something to watch and consider. I'm not actually
a scientist myself just a technologist who likes to read science.

Kev

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i would recommend adding it to this thread, which is the oldest (and therefore most contributed to) one on the topic that i could find.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-11-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
A cat is not a quantum state. It obeys classical physics, not quantum principles. A reductio ad absurdum argument in the form of a thought experiment employed by Schroedinger to discredit Niels Bohr and his "Copenhagen interpretation" of quantum mechanics was taken too seriously by generations of physicists and inspired Hugh Everett's piece of science fiction called the "Many Worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics, which he proposed as a solution of the wavefunction collapse problem and its apparent violation of Special Relativity. The notion that complete universes containing all alternative results of measurement are "created" (!) every time someone makes a measurement of the property of a quantum object is so far-fetched that it is hard to understand how any physicist could believe such a desperate interpretation. Because of the experimental difficulty in testing such a conceit, some physicists are happy to believe it knowing that it is unlikely they will be proved wrong. So fundamental physics and cosmology has become a series of quasi-religious dogmas virtually impossible to falsify but tenaciously defended because they maintain the illusion that they have a viable explanation, however ludicrous or untestable it is.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I'm fine with the mods deleting this
one if they wish.

Kev

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: micpsi

I've seen absolutely brilliant refutations
that the many worlds interpretation is
in fact parsimonious.

Ill post one when I can dig it out of
my favorites hay stack. Would be
fun to discusd.

Kev

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
If you cooled down the cat to close to absolute zero (putting some suitable animal safe anti-freeze in the cat food), then you would get a cat reduced to a single wave function

Perhaps our universe is like a computer system that has been "virtualized" to run multiple copies at the same time. Then there are thousands if not millions of other instances of universe running at the same time. But why would they interact with each other? Wouldn't the designer have made sure that wouldn't happen? Would we be able to tell if there other universes running?With computer virtualisation, you make each instance of whatever you want to run (Windows, Linux) think that it has exclusive access to the hardware. In theory, there should be no way to tell the difference ... But programmers have always found a way called the "red pill, blue pill method". They find a tiny little program that can get into the hardware and return a 1 or 0 if the system has been virtualised or not.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Modern Virtualuzation makes liberal use
of overcommitted, balloon, shared memory
space with dedupe, etc. (Im a principle
systems engineer).

Nature always goes for the lowest stable
energy state, so I would find it parsimonious
to 'share' elementary particles in some
cases/manners between 'universes'.

Experimentation may bring corroboration
(or not..)

Kev

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

I completely agree.

The action is always a significant application to the issue.

Really great view point I appreciated it.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: micpsi
A cat is not a quantum state. It obeys classical physics, not quantum principles.

Surely a cat is made up of atoms, all of which obey quantum mechanics.

The question is why is classical mechanics a good approximation and certain quantum behaviors seen in small systems never seen with cats.

Clearly it is nonsense to think that some universe is instantiated from the Great Malloc In the Sky every time a 'measurement' is made, simply because in physics there isn't any knob or interaction or bit you can flip to specify "oh hai miss lepton, the next scattering you make is going to be a Measurement, not just friends hanging out and doing Standard stuff, mkay?"

But I don't think many worlds interpretation in modern times actually believes that.

Personally I believe it more likely that measurement/collapse is a large N statistical and (in the right space) deterministic process in the singular state vector/entity of the Universe, and if some nonlinearity is needed, so be it.
edit on 6-11-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

originally posted by: micpsi
A cat is not a quantum state. It obeys classical physics, not quantum principles.

Surely a cat is made up of atoms, all of which obey quantum mechanics.

The question is why is classical mechanics a good approximation and certain quantum behaviors seen in small systems never seen with cats.

Quantum entangling - they seem to know what each other is doing though they can't see each other.

Quantum tunneling?

edit on 6-11-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread...

Scientists propose existence and interaction of parallel worlds

thanks

new topics

top topics

join