It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When has a certain political party being in power ever made a difference in your life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
i think back over my relatively short life and have to say my life has changed very little no matter what political party has been in power, whether from the left or the right spectrum of politics, my life has remained pretty much the same constant throughout my life. Maybe my life of 36 years is too small a barometer to be able to make a judgement and witness any real change, but like the daily news, very few news stories effect my daily life over the course of a year or have done.

So what political parties have brought the biggest changes in your life and why are we so obsessed with the partisanship they come with,if their effect on our lives is so minimal. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The only difference in the Parties is this:

Democrats want to kill you in the womb.

Republicans wait until you are grown and commit a crime...Then they kill you.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I was thinking this the other day. Don't remember what kicked it off, but I think it was during a debate about civil rights. Some were saying that republicans were responsible, some were saying that democrats were responsible.

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that neither were responsible for it.

People like Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, and others were responsible for it.

The politicians simply hitched a ride on the movement.

And that's all they (politicians) do.

They don't initiate.

Sure, they write laws that may inhibit or stop something, but they never initiate.

It's people that initiate.

Politicians simply put their names attached to whatever movement they like, and enjoy the ride.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

The economic philosophy of Ronald Reagan helped people in my generation tremendously. College was cheap, food was cheap, housing was cheap...and he led the way to the boon of the 90's, which we all took part in.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer
Politicians just follow public sentiment, when much of the time that sentiment is whipped up by partisan media.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I think the whole party system is only constructed to get people enthused for their team, it generates money and people throw themselves in wholeheartedly "for their side'.

Personally I think it stinks, there are no humans that fit in any category to be labeled perfectly, why can't we just all be Americans voting for individuals we think reflect our preference... at the time preferences do chang!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss

The economic philosophy of Ronald Reagan helped people in my generation tremendously. College was cheap, food was cheap, housing was cheap...and he led the way to the boon of the 90's, which we all took part in.

This is because he was who HE was not because of a PARTY.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

When Obama was elected, I lost my job, was unemployed for the longest period ever which resulted in my wife leaving me, and then she closed the business we built together because sales had been slowly declining.

How dare you insinuate that whoever sits in the white house has no influence on people's daily lives.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss

I was going to say the same thing. The Reagan years were an amazing time. I was never happier and always look back to those years as how wonderful things can be in our country. It was in stark contrast to the Carter years just before Reagan took office. Things were dark and dismal and the economy and inflation were out of control.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: beezzer
Politicians just follow public sentiment, when much of the time that sentiment is whipped up by partisan media.

Sometimes the media does create events so they can report them.

Other times, media will ignore events in the hopes that people won't follow up.

But I really think that it is regular people that have a greater impact on the development of society than the politicians.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

When Obama was elected, I lost my job, was unemployed for the longest period ever which resulted in my wife leaving me, and then she closed the business we built together because sales had been slowly declining.

How dare you insinuate that whoever sits in the white house has no influence on people's daily lives.

Obama has destroyed the Middle Class.

He did it on purpose.

I hope they investigate everything.

It's time some people in high places go to prison.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

I would have to say Obamacare for a start.
Secondly, I would agree with some fellow posters, and say Reagan. When the Berlin wall came down, the feeling was indescribable for me. The 80's were a great time to be a teenager here in America.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Clinton didn't do a damn thing when Al Queda tried to blow up the trade center, or blew up the USS Cole. Then they really screwed up our economy on 9-11-01 and causing tremendous heartache. Obama has done nothing but help destroy it with the ACA, government bail-outs, overspending, and not being kept in check through a balance of power. Enough or should we go on?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Better you should ask 'which bank fleecing the people, which corporation controlling things behind the scenes' has more of an impact on your life?

The Carter years were that way because of the Oil Embargo, something he had little control over. That was OPEC flexing its power. The Reagan years (during which actually GHWB was in charge, RR just waved and read scripts and gave speeches and chuckled a lot) were booming because it was the beginning of the dot com and electronics boom. You'll remember there was a bust for at least some people following that when the Great New Ideas were filtered out from the Pets.com debacles.

The biggest thing controlling people's lives is probably interest rates if you're stupid enough to go along with being in debt for anything, for any amount of time, and whether or not there's a war on and a draft. Wars are great for the businesses that are really running this country, the GEs and the DOD contractors. Not so hot for the flag wavers who buy into the patriotism scam, only to be handed a folded flag and a coffin in lieu of their kids sooner or later.

The banks perhaps final assault was the tail end of the GWB years; him and his buddies emptied out the Treasury in a final EF YOU to the entire global economy and still hasn't paid any price for that.

Nothing will change with either fakeass political party until the bankers are put in jail or executed which they richly deserve, and the people demand a true democracy again. Do you really think a 4 to 8 year President has more power than a multi-billionaire whose family has been ensconced in power for centuries?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
never

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

when Obama was elected, you were reaping the fruits of GW Bush's administration. Along with a bit of ol Slick Willy.

RE: the OP: the only real impact that a party has had on my life is ACA. Professionally, it has been a a nightmare to implement. Personally, it is costing me a small fortune.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

During the Reagan years my area suffered the most. I do not have very positive memories of the years Reagan was in office.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Exactly.

It's because the same families/corporations have been in charge for the last 50 years. The puppets change, the orders do not.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

…if their effect on our lives is so minimal.

Looks like the ruse is working perfectly if you think the changes are "minimal".

You look around and you don't see the Police State slowly replacing the civil servants. Unless you live in Ferguson, for instance.

Arrest and detention of people indefinitely and without charge or trial by jury.

You look around and you don't see the foreclosed homes, they are boarded up in poorer neighborhoods.

The rise in prices is combined with a shrinking of the quantity and quality of products (see shrinkflation)

The jobs sent over seas are well, overseas. Hard to see that.

The police state is replacing civil servants. See Ferguson, Occupy, and Austerity.

The endless wars, overseas…

Corporations, overseas.

Profits, overseas.

Here we are divided, fragmented along political, religious, racial, monetary, demographic or class and other boundaries that include media, (TV, Gaming), Drugs and alcohol, and education or aptitude.

Over a lifetime, older generations see the frog pond temperature slowly rising, younger generations are like, "The water isn'tthat bad".

Newer generations are also less duped by the main stream these days, each generation is more aware than the last.,.

Thanks for waking us up, now what?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

when Obama was elected, you were reaping the fruits of GW Bush's administration. Along with a bit of ol Slick Willy.

RE: the OP: the only real impact that a party has had on my life is ACA. Professionally, it has been a a nightmare to implement. Personally, it is costing me a small fortune.

Really? And he was powerless against the wrath of W? Give me a break. Dems had the WH, the Senate AND the House, yet the crapper kept flushing. Stop blaming Bush for everything, it is getting reeeeaaaally old.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join