It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok.. Minumum wage... Immagration

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Do you really intend to put Human Beings on the same level as produce, lobster, and insurance? Just another commodity to be negotiated for the best price on?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun
I just couldn't live with myself conducting business like that. I'm just not the type of person who will take advantage of people in situations like that simply because I can. I'd rather be a solution for someone like that then to be the person simply perpetuating their suffering because obviously I'm better then them and they are lazy, entitled brats.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Do you really intend to put Human Beings on the same level as produce, lobster, and insurance? Just another commodity to be negotiated for the best price on?

Yes they do and they are prime examples of why we can't have a free market. They are prime examples as to why 90+% of the worlds population is living in poverty.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Are the people selling me those goods and services also humans with fiduciary responsibilities of their own?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
We are doomed. Why in the world would any of you think that a business owner should set wages based on anything other that what people are willing to work for?

A good employee will show his or her value and be rewarded.

Businesses are not charities.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

No I completely understand. I just disagree with you that raising the minimum wage will help. The real question isn't what it does to the value of that job, but how does allowing businesses or individuals to get away with dehumanizing others by ignoring the law improve the job market?

Many coming into our country are not here because they are looking to improve their lives. Many are here because of labor human trafficking. Even the US government have posted signs saying beware of human traffickers. Slave labor is alive and well in the US and I don't see many people standing against it.

www.polarisproject.org...

If companies can only make a profit by unlawful hiring practices then they do not belong in business to begin with.

edit on 6-11-2014 by 2gd2btru because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

I'm just not the type of person who will take advantage of people in situations like that simply because I can.

If someone says, 'I am willing to work for $X', how is that taking advantage of them?

Just because you do not want or can do it does not mean they are in the same situation.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

a reply to: ScientificRailgun
I just couldn't live with myself conducting business like that. I'm just not the type of person who will take advantage of people in situations like that simply because I can. I'd rather be a solution for someone like that then to be the person simply perpetuating their suffering because obviously I'm better then them and they are lazy, entitled brats.

Just out of curiosity: do you own and run a business? If so, do you pay your employees more than the going rate for similar jobs?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Again, you make cold, analytical assumptions about people. Most business owners have at least some financial sense about them. Statistically, minimum wage workers have trouble with finances. That's exactly WHY minimum wage exists. Those who earn the lowest wages statistically have trouble making informed financial decisions.

I started as a minimum wage worker, but I make a (what I consider, at least) decent wage now. That's only because I managed my money wisely and educated myself. Some folks don't have that sense about them. Do we just cast them off of society?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Again, you make cold, analytical assumptions about people. Most business owners have at least some financial sense about them. Statistically, minimum wage workers have trouble with finances. That's exactly WHY minimum wage exists. Those who earn the lowest wages statistically have trouble making informed financial decisions.

I started as a minimum wage worker, but I make a (what I consider, at least) decent wage now. That's only because I managed my money wisely and educated myself. Some folks don't have that sense about them. Do we just cast them off of society?

Why and how is that the concern of the employer?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 2gd2btru

I'm not sold raising the minimum wage will help either. Actually I think what it will do is put small business out of business.

But how do you deal with declining wages without it? How do we stop what's happening?
edit on 11/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: GeorgiaGirl

I don't own the business but I play a large roll in the business, it's owned by a family member. Yes we typically pay more.

For us it's an integrity character issue not about the bottom line.
edit on 11/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Most business owners have at least some financial sense about them.

I had very good financial sense when I ran my businesses, I negotiated everything, that is why the were successful.

Statistically, minimum wage workers have trouble with finances. That's exactly WHY minimum wage exists. Those who earn the lowest wages statistically have trouble making informed financial decisions.

Statistically, minimum wage workers are typically younger employees working entry level positions. Your 'trouble with finances' piece is something you threw in for an emotional appeal.

So how does a minimum wage make someone anymore or less financially responsible or educated? If someone cannot balance their finances why is it their employers obligation?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

So you agree with taking blatant advantage of people simply because they don't have the same IQ as you?

Again, it's efficient, but also cold and heartless.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I don't own the business but I play a large roll in the business, it's owned by a family member. Yes we typically pay more

Bull. You were just bitching in another thread how your brother under pays you and should not charge his customers as much based on the salary he pays you.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Prove that minumum wage workers are typically younger people and why is it ok to take advantage of them because they are young?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Umm my brother is 20 years old hahaha.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yes, we are why 90% of the population is broke!

I paid my painter $18 an hour. Gave him two weeks of paid vacation. All holidays and birthdays off with pay. Let him knock off early and always paid him for 40 hours, even though he didn't work them. Guy was always on his phone or reading magazines, you know screwing off.

When he asked for a $2 an hour raise, I told him no and listed the reasons why. He quit shortly after and went to the shop across town for $30 an hour. He didn't get paid holidays off, he didn't get his birthday off with pay, he didn't get paid vacations and he most certainly didn't get to screw off at work!

He lasted about a year at the other place before he quit and asked for his job back. I politely told him to pound sand. Lazy bastard wants to be a lazy bastard. Not my fault!

I'm here to make money, your here to make me money. If my business doesn't make money, no one makes money. I was paying a fair wage and it got abused. He thought the grass was greener elsewhere and suffered from it. I have many stories like that one as we've been in business for 39 years. I pay what you're worth. If you want more, bring more to the table!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You've completely cast off human compassion for your fellow man, haven't you?

Some person long ago said "Look upon the corn and the wheat, for even the chaff have their place"

Is that place firmly under your boot for a few days, then cast off when their usefulness wears off?
edit on 6-11-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: grammar

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

a reply to: thesaneone

So you agree with taking blatant advantage of people simply because they don't have the same IQ as you?

Again, it's efficient, but also cold and heartless.

Cold and heartless??? Please.

If anything it would make people try harder in life.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join