It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok.. Minumum wage... Immagration

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ok, so I really think we need to focus on developing a new idea for the economy overall. However for the sake of debate I'm curious about something...

Due to unmitigated immigration from Asia, Mexico, South America, Europe, and actually from almost every corner of the country.... We need a minimum wage because we need a stop gap measure put in place. We need it put in place because many immigrants are willing to work for lower wages devaluing the labor of workers already in the market.

For instance. A construction laborer typically starts at 10 $ an hour and traditionally given raises based on good performance. Now add 1000 applicants applying for this same labor job willing to work for 5$ an hour.

What does that do to the value of that job? Also... All of those laborers will now also be the ones gaining the skills to perform the same job as a journeyman working for less, further devaluing that job for journeyman as well.

Now... Prices drop for the bids on these contracts as competition gets tougher due to competition and scarcity. Supply and demand.

but there's a problem. We can't raise the minimum wage now because companies who employee people on the books and at proper wages A have a harder time competing in the market and B they can't afford to pay higher wages now and are forced to go to immigrant labor. This is generating less money for the local economy, putting people out of business and so on and so forth.

So I don't really have a point other then we need to tighten down the hatches on immigration , but general talking points.
edit on 11/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Due to unmitigated immigration from Asia, Mexico, South America, Europe, and actually from almost every corner of the country...

What do you mean 'unmitigated immigration'? Immigration is strictly controlled and is a rather cumbersome process, visa allocations fill in very short order making it difficult for people to come here.

edit on 6-11-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

If there are too many foreign workers for available jobs, then I'd say the first thing that should happen would be to secure the borders and look at allowing fewer immigrants in to the country, since the government's first priority was supposed to be protecting its citizens.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

And this is why so many of us are against passing amnesty to millions of immigrants with a stroke of a pen. Where are they going to work? How are they going to contribute to society?

You don't think they might get some government assistance do ya? What are the current numbers of people on some form of government assistance? something like 58% of the population gets some form of assistance. How can adding MILLIONS of more folks to that list help ANYTHING?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Obviously I'm talking about ilegal immigration.

Did I really need to point this out?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Yeah, you do. Many people come here illegally because it is so difficult to come here legally.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Maybe it's diffucult for a reason?

Oh I'm wrong, why don't we literally move the entire planet into america? Heh...
edit on 11/6/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, you do. Many people come here illegally because it is so difficult to come here legally.

^^^This!

It's damn near the same with gun crimes. Someone does a crime and people start shouting for new laws, forgetting that the current laws were not enforced to start with.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Maybe it's diffucult for a reason?

Immigration has been slowly reduced due to xenophobic reactions to successive waves of ethnic immigration.

Oh I'm wrong, why don't we literally move the entire planet into america? Heh...

It is not our obligation to move anyone here, but our policies are far too restrictive to provide us with the needed regular reenergization that legal immigration provides.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

But not by the tens of millions though right?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

But not by the tens of millions though right?

By as many as that want to legally come here with the exception of criminals. We have had 'tens of millions' come here at various points throughout our history.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Are you going to address any of the ideas in the OP?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I am a free market capitalist who does not believe in a minimum wage.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Great thanks,

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

So I don't really have a point other then we need to tighten down the hatches on immigration , but general talking points.

Are you going to address any of the ideas in the OP?

Ok!

I'm pretty sure Augustus addressed exactly what your point was!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Ok but are you going to break down and tell me why I'm wrong or how I'm wrong about the impact this has on the overall economy? Or did I not put that out right?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I can't say if you're wrong or right pal.

It's all subjective.

To be honest I don't think anyone has the answers to stabilising the economy in a way that's fair to all Humans.

It's gonna be the little man who suffers no matter what!

But I think it's bigger than just pointing a finger at immigration.

We do what were designed to do!

I'm intelligent, but I couldn't be a doctor, & I'd struggle to learn a new language, some are just designed for that purpose of intricacy while others skills lie somewhere else!
edit on 6-11-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Ok but are you going to break down and tell me why I'm wrong or how I'm wrong about the impact this has on the overall economy? Or did I not put that out right?

History tells you why you are wrong. We have had protectionist attitudes like yours about immigration almost from the inception.

It was always some group coming to get our jobs, 'Krauts', 'Mc's', 'Wops', 'Chinks', 'Greasers', someone. They all got here and guess what? The country benefitted from their hard work and aspirations for a better life for themselves and/or their children.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

If the minimum wage were to be abolished, what would you say is a good baseline pay for a fast food worker?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join