It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This sneaky substance is in almost everything you eat—and it’s destroying the planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Who'd think that something as harmless as Palm Oil is contributing to our own destruction...? This is really bad, ATS and entire species are said to be wiped out as soon as 2020 due to the effects of Palm Oil production...The affects can already be felt due to the pollutuion caused by the burning of peat to make room for plants which process the oil.

Peat-swampy layers of partially decayed vegetation that spreads up to 60 feet deep beneath most of the province’s forests.

Peatlands hold up to 28 times as much carbon as rainforests growing on mineral soil. The peat is so carbon rich that if it is buried long enough, say for a million years or so, pressure, time and heat will turn it into coal. A single hectare of peatland rainforest can release 6,000 metric tons of planet-warming carbon dioxide when it’s converted into a plantation. Researchers estimated that in 2012 nearly 70% of the carbon released during the transformation of Sumatran rainforests into palm plantations came from peatlands, a 75% increase over their portion of emissions in the 1990s and an indication that palm is increasingly expanding into peat.

"Palm oil—which appears in a dizzying amount of food and cosmetic products and is a feedstock for biofuel—poses many environmental problems. It’s the largest driver of Indonesian deforestation, which destroys habitat and contributes to climate change. And ponds of wastewater at palm oil refineries release immense amounts of methane, a greenhouse gas 34 times more potent than carbon dioxide."

In 2006 US food labels, under mandate from the Food and Drug Administration, began listing “trans fats” because they increase risk of heart disease. That led to a rapid increase in the use of tropical oils that aren’t trans fats, particularly palm. The television physician Dr. Oz promoted palm oil’s benefits to the heart and brain, helping drive a sixfold increase in consumption in the United States since 2000.
In Europe, efforts to avoid genetically modified foods pushed palm, which is so bountiful it hasn’t yet drawn much interest from genetic tinkerers. In China and India, the growing middle classes’ hunger for high-grade food oils can currently be satisfied only by palm.
The boom is fueled by what we drive, too. The increasing interest in biofuels is replacing the environmental damage associated with crude oil with the devastation palm production inflicts on tropical forests and the climate.

Wow! I didn't know it was this bad. Are we humans bent on our own destruction? What says ATS?

qz.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
yep.........................

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

ATS and entire species are said to be wiped out as soon as 2020 due to the effects of Palm Oil production

No more ATS ?

I've known about Palm Oil problems for a while now and agree it is a clear and present danger to species habitats around the world , unfortunately money talks and ......

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I don't know how credible this is, but your post reminded of this..

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

unfortunately money talks and ......

PROFITS above sustainability or rational thinking (i.e.: Greed)

the bane of capitalism...predatory capitalism with a slash-burn/Shermans' March operating business model geared to immediate "profits uber alles"

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Aren't there like 50 alternatives for palm oil, at least in food production? It's one of the worst oils to use in food anyway.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

originally posted by: gortex

unfortunately money talks and ......

PROFITS above sustainability or rational thinking (i.e.: Greed)

the bane of capitalism...predatory capitalism with a slash-burn/Shermans' March operating business model geared to immediate "profits uber alles"

Yes, the underbelly of capitalism - greed. It is unfortunate that humans can't turn that off and operate for the greater good and still make adequate profits without having to fuel the speculative trading market, which is always demanding higher and higher profits to feed its greed machine.

Tell me why there is a stock market.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Aren't there like 50 alternatives for palm oil, at least in food production? It's one of the worst oils to use in food anyway.

Yes, the article is lengthy but it does state the alternatives to Palm Oil, one of which is MICROALGAE made by Solazyme.

Solazyme, a California company, uses microalgae to produce oils for biodiesel that have already powered United Airlines jets and US Navy ships. It’s expanded into oils for soaps, cosmetics and foods, which have higher profit margins than fuels. Last year consumer products powerhouse Unilever announced plans to use 3 million gallons of Solazyme’s algal oil instead of palm in an effort to lower its environmental impact.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Who'd think that something as harmless as Palm Oil is contributing to our own destruction...? This is really bad, ATS and entire species are said to be wiped out as soon as 2020 due to the effects of Palm Oil production...The affects can already be felt due to the pollutuion caused by the burning of peat to make room for plants which process the oil.

Peat-swampy layers of partially decayed vegetation that spreads up to 60 feet deep beneath most of the province’s forests.

Peatlands hold up to 28 times as much carbon as rainforests growing on mineral soil. The peat is so carbon rich that if it is buried long enough, say for a million years or so, pressure, time and heat will turn it into coal. A single hectare of peatland rainforest can release 6,000 metric tons of planet-warming carbon dioxide when it’s converted into a plantation. Researchers estimated that in 2012 nearly 70% of the carbon released during the transformation of Sumatran rainforests into palm plantations came from peatlands, a 75% increase over their portion of emissions in the 1990s and an indication that palm is increasingly expanding into peat.

"Palm oil—which appears in a dizzying amount of food and cosmetic products and is a feedstock for biofuel—poses many environmental problems. It’s the largest driver of Indonesian deforestation, which destroys habitat and contributes to climate change. And ponds of wastewater at palm oil refineries release immense amounts of methane, a greenhouse gas 34 times more potent than carbon dioxide."

In 2006 US food labels, under mandate from the Food and Drug Administration, began listing “trans fats” because they increase risk of heart disease. That led to a rapid increase in the use of tropical oils that aren’t trans fats, particularly palm. The television physician Dr. Oz promoted palm oil’s benefits to the heart and brain, helping drive a sixfold increase in consumption in the United States since 2000.
In Europe, efforts to avoid genetically modified foods pushed palm, which is so bountiful it hasn’t yet drawn much interest from genetic tinkerers. In China and India, the growing middle classes’ hunger for high-grade food oils can currently be satisfied only by palm.
The boom is fueled by what we drive, too. The increasing interest in biofuels is replacing the environmental damage associated with crude oil with the devastation palm production inflicts on tropical forests and the climate.

Wow! I didn't know it was this bad. Are we humans bent on our own destruction? What says ATS?

qz.com...

No we common people, awake people are not bent on destruction, we are bent on cooperation and creation, it is time for us to put everything aside that separates us and unite as human beings.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Great.... Add that to my list of additives I need to avoid. I need to get this AP garden off the ground.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I read twice. Can you tell me how palm is so bad and how will it kill us in 2020. I do not buy greenhouse gas crap and fail to see how palm is evil. i say bs

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

I read twice. Can you tell me how palm is so bad and how will it kill us in 2020. I do not buy greenhouse gas crap and fail to see how palm is evil. i say bs

At least maybe you can see it is not good for the planet. Many people seem to be unaware that we need the creatures that live on this planet with us for the planet to remain healthy.

Reduced biodiversity in plantations. For example, nearly 80 mammal species are found in Malaysia's primary forests. In contrast, disturbed forests have just over 30 mammal species, while oil palm plantations have only 11 or 12 (Wakker 1998, in Clay (2004) "World Agriculture & Environment"). Similar species reductions occur for insects, birds, reptiles and soil microorganisms.

wwf.panda.org...

edit on 6-11-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Palm oil isn't that good for us anyway. We try to buy shortening blends that have about half animal fat for our pie crusts. We found an excellent tasting one. Crisco has gotten a lousy taste in the last three years, maybe it is just that we got used to the mellow taste of the shortening we use now. I like the way they built up deception that palm oil is good for us, typical consumerism propaganda. A small amount in the diet won't hurt most people though. I like palm sugar though.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee Yes we need rain forest and animals but we could do much better by just not cutting down the rain forest. I want to see the dangers in palm production but when lies are inbedded with the truth it becomes hard to see. I do not see how palm production will kill us by 2020 but if you said that palm spirits are causing spiritual damage by effecting our choices i could start to wonder.

I gotta be honest here i fail to see how this could kill us but the feelings i get from the message differ with my perception. In other words i find the predictions to be fear mongering but i find they may stem from a truth we have not been givin yet and the op does not support or point us too. it is just wierd to get conflicting inputs here.

edit on 6-11-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The Myth that Fruits, Flowers and Trees do not grow in Salt Water

Maybe they should create platforms on the oceans to grow all those tree hydroponically. Then we could stop killing the forests that are keeping us alive and still make profits.

Whatever, we need a better solution than what's happening now.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Some people like to exaggerate. Never mind that the great majority of the Global Circulation models that proclaim that anthropogenic CO2 will cause massive warming have been shown to be wrong.

You have to wonder when people are going to "really wake up"... Amidst the lies, deception, publishing false and misleading information, and trying to stop any research that refutes AGW which ahs been done by the majority of the main scientists who claim anthropogenic CO2 has caused climate change...

Nevermind that the Earth has been warming since 1600s, and there are other changes occurring on Earth which affect the climate such as the weakening of Earth's magnetic shield, the increase volcanic activity and even the fact that we have found underwater volcanoes warming many areas of the ocean and have been even melting glaciers...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I fully agree with you but i also meditate on things that stand out to me like this. What i have found spiritually is something i can not ignore. There is truth to this thread but it does not come to us by way of co2 and deforestation. We will hear from the big man upstairs on this one because the palm oil does come with strong dangers to our planet but the truth will not be accepted without intervention. Just as the electric universe theory is rejected this will be too but that does not chang the implications here. We would have to understand and accept that the earth is a person to grasp how this oil would stop the earth soon.We would have to know our true relationship with this being we live on to get it.

I will try to explain. The earth is a person on a planet like ours that started spinning so fast that he basically stopped time around him and when he started spinning he was tattoed by a higher power. The tatoo is a set of 12 or 13 marks on his spine and they are called the devils graveyard and we have mapped them. Hitler and others have tried to erease them but were killed for it. All excess co2 just goes out of our atmosphere and amounts to not much at all on the other planet. The palm oil is being used to interfere with the signals being recieved by the tatoos. This is done by feeding it to us and we are all different cells in organs of his body. If you study palm oil you may find that it has properties that go beyond our realm here and has been used by cultures such as islanders in spiritual rituals. There are beings trying to wake up the man in the earth. No one will believe what i type and it is easier to just state what is in the op. We will see intervention on this one...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I fully agree with you but i also meditate on things that stand out to me like this. What i have found spiritually is something i can not ignore. There is truth to this thread but it does not come to us by way of co2 and deforestation. We will hear from the big man upstairs on this one because the palm oil does come with strong dangers to our planet but the truth will not be accepted without intervention. Just as the electric universe theory is rejected this will be too but that does not chang the implications here. We would have to understand and accept that the earth is a person to grasp how this oil would stop the earth soon.We would have to know our true relationship with this being we live on to get it.

I will try to explain. The earth is a person on a planet like ours that started spinning so fast that he basically stopped time around him and when he started spinning he was tattoed by a higher power. The tatoo is a set of 12 or 13 marks on his spine and they are called the devils graveyard and we have mapped them. Hitler and others have tried to erease them but were killed for it. All excess co2 just goes out of our atmosphere and amounts to not much at all on the other planet. The palm oil is being used to interfere with the signals being recieved by the tatoos. This is done by feeding it to us and we are all different cells in organs of his body. If you study palm oil you may find that it has properties that go beyond our realm here and has been used by cultures such as islanders in spiritual rituals. There are beings trying to wake up the man in the earth. No one will believe what i type and it is easier to just state what is in the op. We will see intervention on this one...

I don't understand....

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook lol me either
earth is a dude that spun so fast he turned inside out. He is being monitored by one group via node points and other groups are trying to kill him by stopping his spinning and other groups try to remove the node points and make him spin forever. the palm oil is being used in his systems(us) to stop him prematurely and kill all of us. If true we will start to see eq's in the palm fields until we get a grip on it's use. soon he will be duplicated and we will move and then he will wake up.

it is just a matter of faith and who will crack under all the pressure. he has a plan for all if we believe.
edit on 7-11-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

join