It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't think, just vote Democrat. Then reward yourself with fried chicken!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Sure, there's no chance that Mrs Obama's response was a slightly humorous, tongue-in-cheek response to a similar leading question by the interviewer, is there?

No chance for irony? Just another chance for misplaced and irrational political animus.

Talk about playing "the race card."

Tell me, did any of you pause for a moment to think that the interviewer and the First Lady were making a joke?

If not, why not?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw
The double standard is especially evident with race and gender related topics
i will be totally honest with you, i absolutely misunderstood what soul food even was, a quick search confirmed what you said, my interpretation of that was always "soup" and the likes...
but hey, chicken has more nutritional value than watermelon, so you can't say she doesn't care !

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

I never quite grasped why it was racist myself either. Of course, I am from the south and I could put away some serious fried chicken and watermelon (with a salt shaker of course). I'm not sure where the whole stereotype originated from.

Probably because it is southern food. I myself eat watermelon summer to early fall several times a week. I adore greens cooked in bacon and grits smothered in butter, and corn meal fried okra. Yes, my familial roots are in the south.

Whatever, the stereotype exists due to slavery and the familial roots of many many of today's blacks in the south.

However, that does not negate that if a person of non-color had said the same thing they would be completely destroyed in public life and excoriated. I guess all that proves is that being non-PC is ok if you are an Obama.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
As long as she didn't offer up chitlins and greens. That would of caused riots.

edit on 6-11-2014 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Psychonautics
Not that I would defend any Obama, but it's pretty clear she did NOT day what you stated she said in your title. Misleading.

If they didn't lie about what she said and then claim, "Yup. She actually said this", they couldn't make her out to be the low-life, bigoted, racist, bitch that she is!

When people have to lie to get a response, it makes their position totally worthless.

The only ones being racist here are those that are buying this lie, hook, line and sinker. They don't understand that saying the words "fried chicken" isn't, in itself, racist, but what they've done to her comments out of context, IS.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

If John Boehner were to say that black voters vote a straight Democrat ticket without any regard to issues and eat fried chicken afterwards, wouldn't that be viewed as a racist statement?
Yet Michelle Obama can urge them to do exactly that and there's nothing to it?
edit on b000000302014-11-06T09:12:19-06:0009America/ChicagoThu, 06 Nov 2014 09:12:19 -0600900000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Sure, there's no chance that Mrs Obama's response was a slightly humorous, tongue-in-cheek response to a similar leading question by the interviewer, is there?

No chance for irony? Just another chance for misplaced and irrational political animus.

Talk about playing "the race card."

Tell me, did any of you pause for a moment to think that the interviewer and the First Lady were making a joke?

If not, why not?

She probably was joking, I'll grant you that.

However if a person of non-color said that then a double standard would ensue and they would be personally destroyed for life for being so non PC. That is what people are upset about. I don't personally care she said it, I care about the mainstream media and Democrat party lack of response, which is a double standard of epic proportions.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
From the OP's source

And for most of the people we are talking to, a Democratic ticket is the clear ticket that we should be voting on, regardless of who said what or did this– that shouldn’t even come into the equation.”

Blindly obey.

Vote a straight ticket regardless of what the person stands for.

I'm sure that everyone that is in a faux outrage over perceived racist statements is quite fine with this?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer
She said it. She owns it. She told the black audience for that network to vote blindly for Democrats and not to think about it. If a white republican went on a 'for white folks' network and told them to vote blindly for Republicans and not think about it, the left would be screaming 'RACISM" and they'd be right.

What she said was partisan and racist. And no, my saying that doesn't make me racist, it' just points out HER obvious partisanship and racism. Anyone who excuses this from her is themselves bigoted. Like I said, she said it and now she owns it.
edit on 6-11-2014 by Jainine because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

So what is the exact issue here? The line in your title that she did not say, or the fried chicken thing, which was obviously a response to the interviewer's question about soul food?
edit on 6-11-2014 by HappyThoughts because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Jainine

I don't see it racist as much as I see it as elitist.

It's like saying, "Vote for me. Don't ask what I stand for. Don't ask what my platform is. Just do it."

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

If John Boehner were to say that black voters vote a straight Democrat ticket without any regard to issues and eat fried chicken afterwards, wouldn't that be viewed as a racist statement?
Yet Michelle Obama can urge them to do exactly that and there's nothing to it?

Thing is, would a black interviewer ask John Boehner if "we should eat some soul food after we vote?" I don't think so. A white guy might ask Boehner if they should go play a round of golf or eat a good steak after voting. Would John Boenher encourage everyone to vote republican? You bet he would.

So you really expect a politician of any political party to encourage people to vote for another party? Really?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

If a white republican went on a 'for white folks' network and told them to vote blindly for Republicans and not think about it, the left would be screaming 'RACISM" and they'd be right.

What? How is that racist?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

It's like saying, "Vote for me. Don't ask what I stand for. Don't ask what my platform is. Just do it."

No, it's saying "I believe my political party has the best solutions".

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: HappyThoughts

I have a problem with what she actually said.
She treated black voters as a group that should do something very stupid... Go out and vote a straight ticket without regard to the issues.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

In her case, it's both.

Why it's racist - She was speaking on a network operating under the motto “Where Black Life Unfolds” and she said "and for most of the people we are talking to". She was addressing the black audience. She told them not to think but to basically just pull the party lever. Race was directly involved as well as her elitist mentality of just do what I say.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

No, it's saying 'don't think about it and ignore the crap that they've pulled. She didn't talk about solutions and she didn't educate. She just said not to think about it and vote for the democrats. That's different.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: HappyThoughts
What? How is that racist?

Going on a network that specifically targets a racial demographic and then telling them not to think but to just go vote a straight party ticket that has a reputation for capitulating to that demographic?? I see racism (and elitism).

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

You totally blew off my premise.

If John Boehner said what I wrote... Would he be called out for being a racist?

Do you think that blacks should be pleases that Michelle makes them out to be a group that should do as they are told and vote a straight Democrat ticket....No matter what a candidate says or does?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Yes.

"I believe my party has the best solutions, don't ask what they are, just trust me."

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join