It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mandate? Landslide? Just the facts, ma'am. (US SENATE 2014)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I think every election is a mandate.

Then the country has currently given its presidential mandate to President Obama. Two ELECTIONS worth!

Why are Republicans fighting the mandate of the People? Why have they made it their "number one priority" to see the mandated President of the United States fail? Why do they believe that their current task is not to govern but simply to continue to tie up the country in gridlock while our economic standing in the world continues to suffer because of it?

Is it because, as Logarock pointed out, Republicans believe that they, rather than the People, know best?

Scorn the rabble?

edit on 12Sun, 16 Nov 2014 12:06:34 -060014p1220141166 by Gryphon66 because: Wow.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Voters are fighting the Obama Mandate.

He is outdated now,

but he retains his own mandated powers.

Republicans own the entire Legislative Mandate.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Voters are fighting the Obama Mandate.

He is outdated now,

but he retains his own mandated powers.

Republicans own the entire Legislative Mandate.

The problem with your logic is that millions more Americans gave President Obama his "mandate" in your terms than they did to Congress. Every election is a mandate, and President Obama has two nation-wide election-mandates and your buds in Congress barely have one. Every election is a mandate and so the 2010, 2012 and 2014 elections in which Democrats won literally MILLIONS more votes than Republicans should have them in power, right?

Unless, you're in favor of the will of government over the will of the people ... is that what you're saying, Xuenchen?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Obama keeps his Executive Branch Mandate.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Obama keeps his Executive Branch Mandate.

But, wait, you mean every election's mandate is not a mandate, then, as you said?

What other rules are there in this system of yours? Is there one, perhaps, that only Republicans can receive mandates?

Even though they lose the popular vote? Republicans win by losing the popular vote?

Gotcha!

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Wow, deja vu.

Okay, so every election is a mandate, except when Democrats win, then it's either a different kind of mandate, or limited in some way, or not really a mandate at all?

Because that's what I'm hearing from you Xuenchen. More Americans have voted for President Obama than voted for the entirety of Congress in this last election, but somehow, that means that the President doesn't have a real mandate and the Congress does?

Doesn't mandate mean "will of the people"?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Obama keeps his Mandate.

Republicans in Congress have theirs.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Obama keeps his Mandate.

Well then, since Obama's mandate represents about 43 million more votes than Congress' I guess the people have spoken!

Thanks for pointing that out, Xuenchen!

edit on 13Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:21:49 -060014p0120141166 by Gryphon66 because: Typo

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Then we should expect Obama to be signing many legislative bills next year.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

I say it is the same phenomenon that brought Obama into office - the new American way, otherwise known as the knee-jerk reaction. The same way we swing from phone carrier to phone carrier or from cable company to cable company whenever we get upset.

Obama won because people were fed up with Bush. This red victory is because people are fed up with Obama.

What we are seeing in a manifestation of the same thinking that causes people to get married and divorced faster than the paperwork can be processed.

In short - people have largely stopped voting for anything, but, rather, against whatever the current party happens to be.

I agree with what you said and I really like the way you said it. I plan to steal it, but I will admit that I stole it from you when I use it.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

What made it a landslide is that the Senate changed hands by an unusually massive amount. Republicans gained 9 seats and will most probably gain a tenth seat in Louisiana when December re-vote takes place. Republicans further strengthened their hold on the House. Voting for Senate only took place for 33 of the 100 total seats, so those states without a Senate contest was probably less inclined to vote.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm sure if he gets good bills that are fair and equitable to all Americans, he will be!

I'm not sure what that has to do with Obama's mandate, as described in your terms.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I'm sure if he gets good bills that are fair and equitable to all Americans, he will be!

I'm not sure what that has to do with Obama's mandate, as described in your terms.

I'm not sure Obama himself even knows what his Mandate is.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuckk

What made it a landslide is that the Senate changed hands by an unusually massive amount. Republicans gained 9 seats and will most probably gain a tenth seat in Louisiana when December re-vote takes place. Republicans further strengthened their hold on the House. Voting for Senate only took place for 33 of the 100 total seats, so those states without a Senate contest was probably less inclined to vote.

Yes, and I think your statistics are pointing to a real problem, since in this election in which the Republicans won by only 2 million votes overall, that margin created such a shift in power.

Landslides and mandates are usually said to come when one party or candidate wins by a huge margin of victory, and that just didn't happen here.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I'm not sure Obama himself even knows what his Mandate is.

Oh, I think he does. That's why he is even willing to work unilaterally to accomplish what Americans sent him there to do, since the Republicans believe they were sent, not to govern, but merely to score political points at the expense of all of us.

They work for the betterment of their party, not the People.

Perhaps the Republicans will choose to recognize the President's mandate and send legislation so that at least two Branches of Government can get back to work for America!

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Man and wow give me some of that cool aid!

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Obama keeps his Mandate.

Whatever anyone wants to call what Obama had, he had it and its over.

And no the republican gains do not indicated that folks sent them there to get along and work well with others. They were sent there because they still have the bad taste of democrats in their mouth.

I am not going to listen to the buffoonery of a near lane duck POTUS whose party just got bounced out of power tell me what the hell it means.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Obama keeps his Mandate.

Whatever anyone wants to call what Obama had, he had it and its over.

And no the republican gains do not indicated that folks sent them there to get along and work well with others. They were sent there because they still have the bad taste of democrats in their mouth.

I am not going to listen to the buffoonery of a near lane duck POTUS whose party just got bounced out of power tell me what the hell it means.

At least everyone is in agreement that the Republicans will not, nor did they ever intend to, make progress of any kind. It's been a long time since Republicans have done anything constructive for the common man. They sure are well trained corporate lapdogs. The Democrats were harder to break but they are learning their place too.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

The math of the situation is fairly clear.

If we wish to talk about a mandate or a landslide we are talking about a considerable majority of people (not states, not congressional districts), what an overwhelming majority of People seem to want based on voting.

That's why we have whats called a republic. Raw democracy is not a good thing and is kept in check by local representation.

So your perspective on how a republic works is that it is intended to keep the American people from expressing their will?

I guess that's why the whole "Republicans weren't sent to Washington to govern" thing makes sense to those who believe as you do.

Well, at least you're honest!

Hay remember now......the republicans knocked out a good number of incumbents. Dems could not hold them even with a popularity contest vote.

That more seats have been granted to republicans is a matter of the people speaking. Speaking through local, speaking through a republic. This is how will is expressed here not through raw democracy. Marxist love pure democracy.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join