It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What Exactly Did Jesus Mean When He Used The Term "Generation" ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:12 AM
a reply to: Sahabi

I agree with your stance. I am simply in this thread to try and get people to understand that trying to figure out what a single word in the bible actually means is near to impossible in many cases.

I do not think that the word is 'Generations'. I would lean more towards the word 'Race' and I would further lean toward 'Jewish Race.'

Now, that would not have suited the Christians, even in Roman times, or at least near the end of the Roman Empire.

That would have put the Jews on too much of a pedestal for their liking.

By the time you add accidental errors of translation with the likely deliberate ones .... all hell can break loose
and I am declared an ANTI-CHRIST for my views. That one statement, I think in half jest, sums up pretty well my problems with Christians.

edit on 6/11/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:06 AM
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

This passage may have already happened. I say may because I'm not in the mood to argue with anyone about it, mm kay.

Look at the context of the passage in question (I'm starting with Mark's version):

ch 13

1As He was going out of the temple, one of His disciples said to Him, “Teacher, behold what wonderful stones and what wonderful buildings!” 2And Jesus said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left upon another which will not be torn down.”
3As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew were questioning Him privately, 4“Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are going to be fulfilled?

The end that they were speaking of was the destruction of the temple and its entire cultus, which took place in 70ad.

Jesus is constantly condemning the hypocrites of the 2nd temple with their babylonish religious system. They were nothing more than an arm of the empire, hmm sound familiar ? The high priest was appointed by Rome. This corruption goes back to the babylonian exile and the return. The pharisees are of Persian origin, and likely come front the word Parsee. This was the rule of the day back then, empire would take you over and put its people in place to control the masses. The pharisees are the ones who introduced the vile doctrine of Eternal Torment, and Jesus is mocking them when he uses the word hell.

This religious system was very similar to our current system of rich and poor, and elite and masses. Lets look at even a little more context to see what he is talking about.

The end of Mark 12, which comes right before Jesus tells of the destruction of the temple:

38In His teaching He was saying: “Beware of the scribes who like to walk around in long robes, and like respectful greetings in the market places, 39and chief seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets, 40who devour widows’ houses, and for appearance’s sake offer long prayers; these will receive greater condemnation.”

The Widow’s Mite

41And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the people were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums. 42A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent. 43Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, “Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury; 44for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on.

This is the context of his message in Mark, there were no chapter or verses in the originals. He is clearly distinguishing between the kingdom of Heaven as displayed in the widows mite, and the kingdom of the Earth in the Scribes/religious leaders.

Now lets look at the version in Matthew:

1Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2“The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

Then there are the 7 woes which end with this

33“You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell? 34Therefore I am sending you prophets and sages and teachers. Some of them you will kill and crucify; others you will flog in your synagogues and pursue from town to town. 35And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.

37“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. 38Look, your house is left to you desolate. 39For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’c ”

This is what immediately proceeds

1Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2“Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

3As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?

The age ended in 70 ad, about 40 years after Jesus' earthly mission. 40 years, hmm seems kind of significant, like 40 years of wandering in the wilderness before entering the promised land. They were given 40 years as a sign, where they could enter into His Rest (see Hebrews) which is entering the kingdom of heaven. The literal temple was torn down, but the spiritual temple was raised up. The Israelites were given 40 more years with their stone temple, which was ruined at the events of Jesus crucifixion (veil torn, lintel broken). Its uselessness was made an open show, along with the principalities and powers.

When Jesus spoke of raising the temple again he was not speaking of a stone temple, but a temple made of living stones. Aka his body. Heaven and Earth passing away was speaking of the Jewish religious system, and the tribes of the earth that morn, is literally the tribes in the land… aka the people of Israel. When they chose the way of the world, by choosing more violence, trying to overthrow Rome with a revolt, their way was shown to be completely futile. And in turn their entire Cosmos, Jerusalem was desecrated, and burned to the ground. Their heaven and earth passed away and not one stone was left (the western wall is not part of the temple btw, it is part of the fort).

1 Cor 10

1For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; 2and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and all ate the same spiritual food; 4and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ. 5Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness.
6Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved. 7Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written, “THE PEOPLE SAT DOWN TO EAT AND DRINK, AND STOOD UP TO PLAY.” 8Nor let us act immorally, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day. 9Nor let us try the Lord, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the serpents. 10Nor grumble, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Here Paul allegorizes the wilderness wandering of 40 years, and that it was given as instruction to the people living in the end of the age

edit on 6 11 2014 by zardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:29 AM
The two Greek words translated generation are gennema-genea- which the root meaning is... to be born or fathered as a “type” of people.….Yahoshua is talking about people born of religion (imperception..the religious carnal mind which is satan..the adversary) that will NOT perceive(pass) the things he says and does…..a generation is NOT a group of people from a certain time period…btw the Jews are not a race.

Many words translated from Hebrew and Greek definitions have been twisted to religious agendas.The most common modern definition of generation is a vague time period that is manipulated to fit the agenda in this case it is the doctrine of men ....the 2nd advent ....which Yahoshua is not talking about (and never did).

His opening statement in Matt 24 to the disciples question clarifies what he is talking about.

Beware that no man deceive you for MANY will come in my name saying they are christ and deceive many.

He was NOT speaking of an advent return like Christianity believes.The disciples themselves still did not understand what Yahoshua was saying to them.They did not fully understand he was NOT the “Jewish messiah … Yahoshua is as was revealed by the Father to Simon Peter …..The Christ(The anointing) the son of the creator God.

The Jewish messiah was a ‘carnal” warrior who comes to conquer the Jewish oppressors and enemies and set up an Earthly ruling kingdom with the Jews as the ruling class. Yahoshua consistently proved he was NOT the Jewish messiah(nor was there a Jewish messiah) by continually breaking the Jewish traditions of men because he was not a religious practicing Jew….in other words Yahoshua was NOT who even the disciples thought he was.He warned them that those coming in his name would “say” they are christ.John wrote of the same thing and called them “antichrist”(which means in place of the anointing) which is the first sect of Christianity.

Being “born” of this generation is the blindness/imperception of Christendom and the Jews They(Christianity ) cannot “perceive” Yahoshua as The anointed one.They believe he started a new religion (Christianity) and will return(the 2nd advent) to conquer all of their enemies and setup an earthly kingdom with themselves as the ruling class(or in this case the only) just as the Jews did(with variations).

It is “this “generation” of people that cannot perceive who and what Yahoshua the anointing is.They believe IN their “religion”and most of them in their religion (the 30,000 and counting sects) believe Jesus is God when in fact he is the son (the seed) of the creator God.He came to deliver(save) all of the creator Gods “people”(ALL of mankind) from Hades (the realm of death and imperception).That is Yahoshuas “name”(nature and character).

He did NOT come to start a “new religion” he clearly stated to the disciples to beware of those that did start a religion IN his name(Christianity) that say they are christ(Christians).This should be very obvious yet billions of Christians can not see(perceive) it.Just like the Jews before them most Christians believe Yahoshua is speaking of other people (generation)however Yahoshua was/is speaking of THEM.

This blindness will continue because Christians can NOT perceive the Truth of Yahoshua just like they have made the creator God in “their “ image.They are a brood of vipers(snakes) born of their Father(satan…their religious carnal mind).They will not always be so …..only in this age(the material realm) and the one to come(Hades…the realm of death) then they will be forgiven(freed from bondage) by being “tormented”(cleansed) in the “lake of fire”(the 2nd death…the death of their religious carnal mind) because they are the generation that will not pass until all those things take place.

edit on 6-11-2014 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:43 AM

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Take what he was saying previously and use it all in context.

30 “Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky. All the people on earth will cry in agony when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds in the sky with power and great glory. 31 He will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and from every direction under the sky, they will gather those whom God has chosen.

That is the generation he is talking about, when those things happen, it will culminate during their lifetimes.

I agree with TinFoilTP. I always thought he was talking about a future time when these things would happen all in a single generation, however long that might be.

edit on 6-11-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:06 AM
a reply to: Rex282

I like your take on this Rex282. Really trying to understand what you have written here.

So if Jesus wasn't the political savior Christ of the Jews, and warned the early believers that he wasn't this Jewish Christ, and this generation refers to a kind of people that are blind to this fact, then who was Jesus anyway?

Was Jesus as he saw himself? Who did he say he was if he wasn't the Christ that his Jewish followers thought he was?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:10 AM
a reply to: zardust

Everything you point out about the 1st century and it's generation is true, but Matthew 24 and the other mirror gospel accounts point to secondary major fulfillment. For example Matthew 24:14 talks about the message being spread around the world then the end comes, in the first century that world would encompass all the territories Jews lived in even beyond the geographical area of Judea basically the Roman Empire, it did not include North & South America for example. Also what end was coming, for gentiles there was no end, it was of no matter to them really.
The secondary major application of that scripture would come much later and this time it would be truly global this "end" coming would matter to every human on the planet this time. So I fully understand what you are saying, but major and minor prophesies that have duel use were used by Jesus. This also applied to "Generation" too.

Also Jesus compared it to Noah's day, which was a global event.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM

He specifically meant the people living during the 70th Week, from Rapture to 2nd Advent. Many people take the 1948-67 establishment of Israel to be the Fig Tree generation, but that is impossible.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:21 AM
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

You would be correct on the 70th week in the first century, that prophesy doesn't have duel fulfillment as it specifically guides us to the physical arrival of the messiah alone. The seventy weeks has nothing to do with 20th/21st century.

Discussion for another thread.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:17 AM

This is a question if we knew the exact answer to we would much further along in understanding the timeline to the end times.
We are in the end times, in regard to the Old Testament idea of what the "end time" was.
The "age to come", according to what the disciples thought that meant, is what we are living in now, and have been living in since the foundation of the church.

What started this conversation was Jesus describing the destruction of the temple, which they must have figured could not happen without anything short of an end of the world type event.

Verse 33 says,

Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door.
(2011 NIV)

where it doesn't get too specific as to what the "these things" are, so it isn't like a how-to guide that is really practical instruction for the end of the world.
I think the best way to understand what this story is doing, is presenting something to the reader to recognize something that had already happened when Matthew was written, with Jesus' predictions serving the purpose of helping us in understanding the significance of it.
So rather than reading the gospel as being a way to anticipate future events to best avoid them, it is looking back to events that already happened by the time the book was written, and knowing that Jesus had in fact given information on it to his disciples.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:27 PM
a reply to: DISRAELI

Well although that window is closing very fast, it seems about the average age the longest lived humans are now living too in the "last days" is about 115. I would call it the super-centenarian generation.

Longest Living People

Also ALL WW1 Veterans are now dead too.

I was reading an article that said the average age humans could only ever push up to around is 120 regardless of medical and technology gains, that would be a 40 year gain from around 80 which is actually quite huge. Perhaps then a generation by the time the end times actually ends would be a more generic 80-120 years.
Psalm 90:10

Each of us lives for 70 years- or even 80 if we are in good health. But the best of them [bring] trouble and misery. Indeed, they are soon gone, and we fly away.

Life expectancy could reach 70 to 80 years when King David wrote this, 80 was considered an expectational life span in those days, it isn't today.
edit on 6-11-2014 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:07 PM
every 33yrs the ones above require a king to be sacrificed so they can know what is going on without coming here themselves. 33yrs is a generation. Even in the 1000yr reign this will take place in some form. 33x33=999
It is either that or when they come they cause much unintentional damage. The question is who will be our sacrifical lamb? btw we are good for another 33yrs. now

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:52 PM

One generation is 72 years. The precession of the Earth is 25920 years. Divide by 360 and you have one generation. Matthew 24 gives us the key on 1948. The days will be cut short. 2020 would be a good guess, but can be refined to 2017 as the next jubilee. Every 7x7+1 is a grand jubilee. The last one was 1967 during the six day war. We can then look back to verify. 1917 is WWI. 67 is the Jewish revolt. 2017 is the next jubilee.

Based on jubilees, Genesis 6 limits man to 120, or 120x50. 6000 years.

Epistle of Barnabas
Barnabas 15:3
Of the Sabbath He speaketh in the beginning of the creation; And
God made the works of His hands in six days, and He ended on the
seventh day, and rested on it, and He hallowed it.

Barnabas 15:4
Give heed, children, what this meaneth; He ended in six days. He
meaneth this, that in six thousand years the Lord shall bring all
things to an end; for the day with Him signifyeth a thousand years;
and this He himself beareth me witness, saying; Behold, the day of
the Lord shall be as a thousand years. Therefore, children, in six
days, that is in six thousand years, everything shall come to an end.

Book of Adam Eve

1 God said to Adam, "I have ordained on this earth days and years, and you and your descendants shall live and walk in them, until the days and years are fulfilled; when I shall send the Word that created you, and against which you have transgressed, the Word that made you come out of the garden, and that raised you when you were fallen. 2 Yes, the Word that will again save you when the five and a half days are fulfilled." 3 But when Adam heard these words from God, and of the great five and a half days, he did not understand the meaning of them. 4 For Adam was thinking there would be only five and a half days for him until the end of the world. 5 And Adam cried, and prayed to God to explain it to him. 6 Then God in his mercy for Adam who was made after His own image and likeness, explained to him, that these were 5,000 and 500 years; and how One would then come and save him and his descendants.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 03:55 PM
At some point, the realisation that we are playing a massive game of self-important grandstanding will sink in.

This little blue marble, embedded in a group of local galaxies - denizens of a universal construct - the likes of which is almost near impossible to fathom, protesteth too much...

The real danger is within us, as it is everywhere else the divine spark is implanted, to evolve its understanding, or misunderstanding (to its own demise or advancement)...

Prognosticating over the numbers supplied, only serves to illustrate the lengths to which the affected personality will enforce an order onto that which it does not understand - for the sake of stability of personality - alone or in groups...

That which has been 'generated' will run its course according to permutations and combinations of symbiotic activity...the end of Kali Yuga has 4 suggested end dates that all dovetail into the next Yuga (and there would be no need for a 'next' Yuga if things did not continue under different conditions)...

The prevalent insanity is to attribute continuance for a chosen section of implanted sparks based on behaviours that legitimise the chosen viewpoint...that convenience is apparent, and does not bode well for proponents of annihilationism.

There is no annihilation of the divine spark that IS the source experiencing the conditions of its own created parameters.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:52 PM
a reply to: AlephBet

72yrs has more biblical meaning but very few ever got to see those numbers. It is likely that a generation is the measurment of one turn of the planet above us. We have two main forces that influence us. Perhaps that is why the sun died when he did so that he would return to where he came and not to another place. orion and pledies. Either way time is very relevant to the writers in the bible. Often numbers are givin to us from different perspective. I said 33 but i think 36 is what i ment.
edit on 6-11-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:37 PM
a reply to: Blue_Jay33 "What Exactly Did Jesus Mean When He Used The Term "Generation".

Obviously he was a child of the '60s' (aware of the changes in decades that define/deform generations, 72 years would be some ones lifetime THEN; not applicable NOW; a generation is defined as five years, tomorrow 2 years). WAS HE the ONE that invented/put forth the iconic popular phrase; "Do not trust anyone over the age of 30".

edit on 6-11-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:01 PM
originally posted by: akushla99

that which has been 'generated', will not pass till all happenings (brought about by the generated) which point, every possible permutation and combination of what could occur, has happened...and the vessels, the furniture...the stage...become redundant.

Apparently all things have not yet been 'generated' because we are all still here expressing the Grand Generator AS ITSELF'; and has not figured out a newer FRESH version of "MEMPHIS" furniture (Agati not mainstream YET; as in not sold in 'Target') hopefully never will as we may be instantly vaporized; that .00000001 gram of information finally tips the fulcrum point on the universes teeder todder of balance vs chaos/creation/expectation and recreates "a newer version" of we all get to do this ALL OVER AGAIN (and get it right this time).

akushla99: New forms of cosmic cgi are always being prepared in many other locations, readying the conditions necessary for 'insertion', immersion..
Through little, splintered, holo-type matrices experiencing 'virtually' the vessel, furniture and stage - delight is found in experiencing what you created. Where is God?

Where is god? Its BUSY; expressing itself as you and as much as it would like to CANNOT SECOND GUESS the brilliance that is the human. Delight is in knowing you are God's RIGHT AND LEFT hand at creation; and that includes the ingenious (possibility) added plus plus; the 'way Out There WOOWOO" component: "IMAGINATION". "God" or the Absolute is a quantum being (thumb sucking information, its only access is 1s.0s binary understanding); without us cannot truly know its emotional being *it created us for a reason*. This is a God that requires DEFINITION and WE ARE ITS experimental shills, or at the least is most definitely A SELF ABUSER.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:24 PM
originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

MSB: I agree with TinFoilTP. I always thought he was talking about a future time when these things would happen all in a single generation, however long that might be.

Who was talking about this; Jesus? He was fully nine dimensional and experienced everyones life time in one (HIS Own; thought that was the point/reason for being the sacrificial lamb for the human masses; in one fell swoop absconded/did away with ALL of mankinds past or future sins). Why would generational (future) knowledge even be in PLAY as a potential; ALL GONE; REMOVED, NO KARMIC BLOWBACK. There is no 'however long that might be'; as he was to have swallowed this archetype and in so doing rid the human of its past, present or future misdeeds. WE were supposed to be purified by Jesus 2000 years ago and yet the debate continues.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:28 PM

Prognosticating over the numbers supplied, only serves to illustrate the lengths to which the affected personality will enforce an order onto that which it does not understand - for the sake of stability of personality - alone or in groups...

Thanks for your statement of reason that denies ignorance A99.Prognostication is a favored sport of ignorance. It can twist anything into what it wants it to mean and justify it by apotheosis.Unfortunately numbers are being assaulted by the score to justify a pointless means.I predict by the square root of the jubilee this will always be the case.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 09:56 PM

akushla99: At some point, the realisation that we are playing a massive game of self-important grandstanding will sink in.
This little blue marble, embedded in a group of local galaxies - denizens of a universal construct - the likes of which is almost near impossible to fathom, protesteth too much.

It (the human) wouldn't protest if it knew the truth of its reason for being; man kind would embrace the mystery and solve it or in the least surrender to 'unknowing' (ha, we are smarter than that higher being; NO just as smart is all and more imaginative (ITS OUR JOB BTW)); otherwise there is no learning curve.

akushla99: The real danger is within us, as it is everywhere else the divine spark is implanted, to evolve its understanding, or misunderstanding (to its own demise or advancement).
Prognosticating over the numbers supplied, only serves to illustrate the lengths to which the affected personality will enforce an order onto that which it does not understand - for the sake of stability of personality - alone or in groups.

I suppose you are speaking of the fear of the unknown; Death being the archetype, find the others in a likewise state of fear and will gather in groups (religious/political) to commiserate or find a better option OUT of this debacle (hey, you drop your worn out body; like a suit of clothes with holes/thread bare and gain a new one is all, as spirit is eternal). Personality as an individual is permanent and uniquely yours (all wisdom gained in lifetimes remains within your Intel processor higher self); no matter how many times you have to relive being a centipede simply because you were unaware of yourself (no mirrors) (no one observing you other than that rascally bird predator) from a two point perspective; but you are actually a millipede (and did not know this). I would equate this to 'God' not letting you into the joke; you are missing the Third perspective (an overseer is watching all of this unfold and NOT TELLING what its OWN vantage point is OR WHY IT CONTEMPLATES our being with such eye winking irreverence).

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:03 PM

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I remember being told by Jehovah's Witnesses a few decades back that it meant "within a generation of 1914".
That would make it exactly 100 years this year. Does that get them excited? Is that the longest it could go?
At what point does "within a generation of 1914" get abandoned as an interpretation?

When that purported 'end time' fails to become reality a new one will be manufactured/inserted. This is all fear based (for what purpose) and to who's advantage; faith based worshipers *hopeful flock* or the moneyed majority that own the edifice/dogma and future tithes; sort of a generational 'legacy' like a safe Maytag washing machine appliance (our parents) or a never ending energizing bunny (our children).

top topics

<< 1    3 >>