It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird coincidences - what are they?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I haven�t put much thought into this before but yesterday something really freaky happened, was it just a coincidence? I�m not shure but it was kinda cool.

Here goes.
I had loaded my cd-walkman late wednesday night for the trip to work thursday morning. The cd-album Starfish by a group called The Church. On thursday morning I left for the bus and I pushed play on my cd walkman.

The first track, "Destination" started and ended as I entered the bus, track nr.2 started as the bus left with a sharp left hand turn revealing a second bus that had been obscured by the bus I was on.
On the electronic display that is supposed to show the bus�s number and to which part of the city it is headed said: "1 Destination"

I thought wow, I just listened to track 1 "Destination" on this record! I�ve never before seen any bus around here having "Destination" spelt out on the display. I don�t credit this to any big conspiracy/alien intervention but it�s kinda cool anyway.

Anyone with similar experiences?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I would suggest seeking out that bus and taking a ride on it when you have the time.

Maybe you'll have a conversation with a stranger that will suddenly give you insight into something which is troubling you.

Maybe the bus will take you to the next coincidence.

If it's intriguing to you, then you should check it out. Because what is the point of life if not to do things which intrigue you?

Also, do some reading on Synchronicity.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Also, do some reading on Synchronicity.

I agree. Definitely look into Carl Gustav Jung's writings on Synchronicity.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
or, hehe, you could always try my version of it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   
it is xenochrony, a step beyond synchronicity.
the term, coined by frank zappa, is literally different recordings at different tempos on the same stretch of multitrack audiotape. the tracks are then mixed together to create a polyrythmic hybrid.

i once was thinking, 'man, i would love a banana flavoured coffee right now', (which i'd never heard of, i mean, BANANA COFFE, seriously?) it was just a 'craving' that came to me after i bought my empty cup(at a self-serve style coffee shop), i walked over to the assortment of coffees, and lo and behold, BANANA COFFEE!
it was absolutely delicious!

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I had an experience that I can't explain. I was writing on a message board for no reason about Ronald Reagan, and I found out later that he had died the same night at around the same time. I do things for no reason and find out later that I had written it even though I don't remember writing it. If that makes sense?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
it is xenochrony, a step beyond synchronicity.
the term, coined by frank zappa, is literally different recordings at different tempos on the same stretch of multitrack audiotape. the tracks are then mixed together to create a polyrythmic hybrid.

lol, no wonder I never really got into Zappa, even though I am a musician/drummer that can play in odd meters. The only album I really ever heard was Joe's Garage. He use any of that on that album? Cause it was hard for me to deal with all the polyrhythms, and I lost interest quick.

And btw, how would that relate to his story above, I don't quite get that. Synchronicity is a natural occurrence, while the technique you describe- even though it sort of borrows from the principle- would be entirely created by a human. I know humans are natural too, but I hope you can see what I am saying.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   

I would suggest seeking out that bus and taking a ride on it when you have the time.

You know there isn�t supposed to be a a bus called "1 Destination" - I have a hard time thinking I�ll ever see one again. Perhaps I�ll ask a busdriver about this if it�s a code in their "computer" or something.

Will look into Jung�s Synchronicity writings.

Stuff like this happened this summer as well. On a smaller scale though. I would be singing, for no reason, on a childrens song. And 10 minutes later my brother would come home singing the same tune walking up the stairs. That had me laughing I�ll tell ya

There have been som other small stuff as well. The banana cofe story is great
Anyone else care to share?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dawnaj
You know there isn�t supposed to be a a bus called "1 Destination" - I have a hard time thinking I�ll ever see one again. Perhaps I�ll ask a busdriver about this if it�s a code in their "computer" or something.

Well, if it was just a one-time glitch, perhaps it is enough that it encouraged you to come here and start searching for answers.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Things like this happen to me all the time.

I became more in tune with recognising these "coincidences" after reading "The Celestine Prophecy", not a brilliant read, but some interesting theories.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Well, if it was just a one-time glitch, perhaps it is enough that it encouraged you to come here and start searching for answers.

Yes, that is true. I will continue to look into this and see what else I might find. As I wrote the last sentence I�m reminded by the lyrics of track 2 of the same record, "Under the Milky Way": (the chorus/refrain)

Wish I knew what you are looking for -
might have known what you would find

And it�s something quite peculiar
Something that�s shimmering and white

Leaves you here, despite your Destination
Under the Milky Way Tonight.

Perhaps there is something personal to find out by digging into this. Subcounciousness speaking to my concious mind
It�s an interesting thought I�d say.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
ok this is strange. I just read this thread about 1/2 an hour ago.
I'm doing some housework , and just think random thoughts as I do, while ironing etc.
I start thinking about christmas morning this year, and looking forward to a day with my family, a day for us, where we forget about the world going on around us (except for the time that I'm obviousley gonna spend checking out ATS every now and then)
Suddenly a thought pops into my head about how peeved I would be if someone phoned up on christmas day trying to sell me windows. I don't know where the thought came from.
Well no more than about a minute later I got a call. "hello I'm just calling to let you know how you can save thousands of pounds on new double glazed windows"
How freaky is that

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
i have a friend who regularly comes out with odd comments that become relevant later in the day,

as follows:-

lay on the beach one day in the middle of the blistering portuguese summer,he tells me its gonna rain.....there wasnt a cloud in the sky and we never,ever get rain mid summer!......sure enough 3 hrs later torrential rain,with weather experts saying its highly un ususal?

tells me one day im going to get in trouble with the police because he dreamt it......sure enough same day get done for exsesive speeding and big fine!

driving one day and he tells me to slow down for no reason on a normally safe road we drive every day, as we round the next turn the car in front of us looses control on spilt diesel and hits an on coming car....if i hadnt slowed down i would have been involved for sure!

probably just strange coincidences but hes done it with other friends aswell?

Regards!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Pantha, that�s pretty damn cool. It�s not like someone calls everyday selling windows is it

Optimus fett, your friend is probably a little psychic. Well, perhaps we really all are, just some people are more tuned into receiving information the "future" !?

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
About twenty years ago, I was on the Magazine Street bus, passing through the Irish Channel and a bar where the annual St. Patrick's Day parade begins each year, when I began, inexplicably, to think of a murder that had occurred in Carlsbad, NM about fifteen years earlier, during which the perpetrator had severed the genitalia of the baker in a bakery and deposited them in the boiling oil along with the donuts he had been preparing.

When I got to Canal Street to make my transfer, I picked up a paper and the headlines told of a murder the day before in which a man had killed a woman in an apartment above the aforementioned bar and that her head had been found in a trash can outside the bar.

[edit on 04/12/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
hmmm the situation is quite intriguing, it sounds like "fate" like the events were planned out or something. Either that or the events were the biggest coincidence you ever had.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Strange coicidences indeed. I'll share mine

About 6 years ago, my family decided to do a tour of the states, so we drove all around the country for two months. One afternoon we were driving south through utah when I told my mum that we had to get in our right lane, the exit we wanted was comming up. about a minute later an 18 wheeler came flying past going the other direction... in the lane we were just in...

I'm pretty sure everyone has had a close call like that at least some time in their life.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Some of those instances sound like precognition might be involved....like Pantha thinking of windows just before getting a call about them.

My similar experience: One afternoon after classes were over, a friend wanted to go shopping, but I did not want to go with her and waste the afternoon..( she's a shopaholic). I suddenly blurted out, " I can't go, Mr. Smith ( my boss, where I had a part time cafe job), said he was going fishing today and would bring me some fish this afternoon, so I have to go get them." I had not thought about saying that, it just popped right out!
Driving home, I gave myself a lecture on being such a big liar.... my friend had looked so surprised...I'm sure she did not believe one word of it....how would I explain this if she asked about the fish???

I decided I had better go by work...check my schedule, at least making part of my whopper true. I went in and sat down long enough to get a soda and check the schedule, and just as I was about to leave, the boss drove up. He got out, opened the back door of his van and called out to me, "Here, I've got you something!"

I almost fell over when he sat a five gallon bucket of fresh fish at my feet!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Some wonderful stories here. I especially like the fish(y!) story, thanks for sharing Frayed.
Was this a one time "precognition" or has it happened again?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
leave your tv or radio on while chatting online, and see how many times the word you are typing is mentioned by another media at the same time.

it happens a lot, ive been experimenting with this and im sure its the quantum universe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join